Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Elecronic Diesel Tuning Devices

Thanks for that Steve it kinda gives me some hope that the ECU will recognize the cooler my thinking is temperature can vary considerably in any climate and so fueling might be adjusted to some degree automatically via ECU and electric pump . I'm gonna guess the boost sensor filter is that little red thing on the cooler with the pipes going into it yes ?

Yes that's the filter I was talking about. You should also have one bolted to the inlet manifold as well but could be a grey one like on my truck. Connecting up the boost sensor on the intercooler could make up the delay in boost pressure reading as the intercooler is filled by the turbo and could set the fuelling up to suit. Don't really know for sure as like you I am learning as I go with my truck and I've put nearly 100k on it since I bought it back in 2007.:shock::icon-biggrin:

The 3" stainless exhaust makes my truck feel like the turbo runs constantly i rarely even notice the turbo cutting in anymore , if you haven't considered one you should coz having had it done i am in absolutely no doubt whatsoever that it will be the very first mod applied to any vehicle i ever own in the future :icon-wink:

Havent really been following this thread as close as I should have but thought i would pop up with an offer. I have kust removed the tunit box from my truck shayne trying to eak out a couple extra mpg. You are more than welcome to try it out for a couple of months if you want me to post it down to you mate.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Thats a kind offer Chris but am i right in thinking the tunit box works by altering signals after the ECU ?

I should be able to up the fuel manually following Beau's instructions but what bothers me is that would result in a mix of pure luck proportions . What i really want to do is get the intercooler talking to the ECU in the hope some auto adjustment will sort of smooth out the effects of my guesswork providing a more balanced mix . It's gonna be trial and error and i may take you up on the offer later on but i will pass for now thanks .

From what I've read the Tunit box alters the resistor levels at the main pump (two wires at the side of it) and therefore tricking the ECU into feeding more fuel into the engine. In theory it works the same way as manually adjusting the fuel, however I think it's one stage up where it only pushes for fuel higher up the rev range rather than throughout.

Shayne, start off very little when adjusting the pump until you feel you have a good mixture. You'll be able to tell by the exhaust colour and by how the engine feels. I really don't think you're gonna be able to get the Intercooler to talk to the ECU but I could be wrong.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A quarter turn i think i read somewhere (you prob posted that too) I'm curious why you have turned it up more you must now have it maxed out ? I'm not convinced myself that the cooler will talk to the ECU but the only way to find out is to plug it in . Am i gonna need a gasket set if i remove the pump ? and do you have a part number for replacement filters assuming at least one of them can't just be cleaned ?

A quarter turn i think i read somewhere (you prob posted that too) I'm curious why you have turned it up more you must now have it maxed out ? I'm not convinced myself that the cooler will talk to the ECU but the only way to find out is to plug it in . Am i gonna need a gasket set if i remove the pump ? and do you have a part number for replacement filters assuming at least one of them can't just be cleaned ?

I've turned mine up about one and half turns and it's what I would say is at the max, where there's no black smoke. No, you're not gonna need any gasket or anything. On top of the spill control valve is a metal cap. This cap comes off and there is a screw below it. Before turning the screw the locking nut has to be undone. I'm not too sure you can buy replacement filters as the pumps are made by Bosche but it's worth a try. In most cases unless damaged they can be cleaned.

I think i may add a disposable in-line filter while i have the pump off so it never needs filters cleaned again .

Ah there's 1 convo going on in 2 seperate threads getting crossed here Fridayman . I have just discovered there is filters inside the fuel pump so i intend to kill 2 birds with one stone as they say .

You can get to the little round one without removing the pump (I haven't looked at the other one yet). As your truck has been going really well I would be surprised if your pump is blocked, however heavy foot driving could dislodge something somewhere in the fuel system... So why don't you just check the round filter first (doesn't take long) and see what it looks like before you pull the pump off. Mine was clean as a whistle at around 150k miles.

Hmmm mine hasn't hit 100k yet so i might go with that cheers , i was just thinking at the age of the truck it might be worth doing .

OK so i've turned the fuel up (which turns out to be a 2 minute job) but it takes very little turn to produce black smoke , i'm sitting here now allowing the truck to warm up so i can see if it makes a difference and its just occurred to me that while parked it is very unlikely the fuel/air mix is anything other than standard because the intercooler isn't doing anything . I'm gonna have to test run and adjust a few times until i'm happy with the result .
Fuelling002_zps9dc911b5.jpg

A huge improvement thanks fellas . I was toodling along in traffic at 50mph thinking about something else entirely when i noticed i was at 3500 revs because i was still in third gear but i felt no hesitation and i'm sure i could have accelerated more . I get a bit of black smoke on start up especially if i blip the throttle but i will have to accept that because i can't see any smoke at all while driving and i have a side exit exhaust .

You'll find on start up a little bit of black smoke is normal especially for these older diesels.

You'll also find that if you produce a little black smoke just revving standstill that it wont happen when driving as there is more load on the engine. Once you don't produce heavy black smoke when actually driving you're not over fuelling and all is good!

Do you think i should turn it up more then Beau ? if you look at the pic the flat face of the hex adjustment screw is parallel to the engine before i started the face before it was parallel .

Just took my intercooler off again for another look while the trucks still warm from a run . Of course its wet but not nearly as wet as last time so i think my turbo is fine , seems likely the cold air within the cooler when i get home condenses into water when i park up because the engine warms it . What do you think ?
cooler2001_zpsb6b5b3be.jpg
cooler2002_zpsc8bfa7b3.jpg
cooler2003_zps801c9b39.jpg

Last edited:
If you're producing a little black smoke at standstill when revving then it's probably not necessary but you can a little bit more and see if there's a noticeable difference?

And yes, there's a possibility it's condensation created inside the intercooler, a light coating of oil is normal I think... If it aint broke don't fix it

No smoke while stopped at lights only on start up :think: i will leave it for a week and see how i get on with mpg . I left the filters alone coz i don't have a spanner bigger than 19mm and can't find any metal to make one with , and besides nothings suggests they might be blocked so as you say "if it aint broke don't fix it"

I managed to get down to the turbo actuator hoping to up the boost using Beau's washer mod but i really am in two minds whether or not to proceed , i'm sure i can get the bottom nut off but once its off can i get it back on ? its a very tight space heres a pic of my ratchet spanner on the nut .
TurboActuator001_zpsf00b2458.jpg

Back