Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

engine cut out on steep inclines

L

LandCruiser1978

been off road today and EVERYTIME i was climbing steep hills it was trying to cut out
the only way it wouldn't cut out is if i flawed the throttle (not always possible)
or if i put clutch down and rev it .
while rolling backwards after failing a climb it would cut out if i left it on idle

i actually thought it was running out of fuel so put £40 in and it gave me half a tank and it was still the same
(i had a 1/4 of a tank already)
going forwards down steep hills didn't bother the car

Does this make sense?

Whats wrong with my baby?

I think they all do that, mine does anyway.
I don't know why but I'm sure someone here does :thumbup:

Mine doesn't. I have a feeling that the 24v might suffer more commonly with this.

Chris

Could it possibly just be the low down torque isn't too good and the engine is therefore trying to stall. With more momentum is it easier going up the hill?

Maybe the engine is struggling to suck the fuel from the tank due to the angle, lift pump needed maybe?

won't idle with the front up in the air .. just cuts out . will restart but cuts out ..
sounds like its struggling for fuel

I believe it's fuel starvation and can be cured by a pusher fuel pump.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a more exacting answer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pretty common on 80s - the "lift" pump is part of the IP and as they get old, they struggle to lift fuel on steep inclines. As has been mentioned, fitting a fuel pump in-line usually cures this. Most guys that seriously off-road 80s have fitted these lift/pusher pumps. Walbro pumps IIRC?

Mine also suffers from this symptom on very steep inclines. Upping the revs at idle via the hand throttle usually solves it though.

mine does it too (but MUCH less noticeable on bio-diesel which i have never quite got my head around?)

Mine does this as well and its a 12v manual. I also notice it when towing up a steep hill the engine just looses all power. Is it easier to fit a pusher pump or replace the worn parts in the pump?

I have a 24 valve, no problems with it cutting out but I have a Walbro pump fitted.

Back