Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EV's -Tesla

Thanks TP. In 1998 my 1995 siren batteries were almost dead. Next lot lasted 6 years. The ones I am on now have lasted 10 years so I guess I must have bought the NiMh ones.

Was it
  • An official statement in writing says the cause is unknown.
  • There is nothing from officials in writing mentioning the speculation about electric cars
  • We don’t have a direct quote, and we don’t have a name for the spokesman who said it.
  • The misreported information seems like it could have come from a misinterpretation of a direct quote that we do know of, and at least one of the sources has now walked it back
  • It was confirmed to us over the phone that the Coast Guard has not come to this conclusion and that this is all media speculation.

You're quite right David.
Was it
  • There is nothing from officials in writing mentioning the speculation about electric cars
  • We don’t have a direct quote, and we don’t have a name for the spokesman who said it.
  • The misreported information seems like it could have come from a misinterpretation of a direct quote that we do know of, and at least one of the sources has now walked it back
  • It was confirmed to us over the phone that the Coast Guard has not come to this conclusion and that this is all media speculation.

However, you've missed one important word from my quote....apparently

Nonetheless from the article...
A Dutch coastguard spokesman said the fire was probably caused by one of 25 electric vehicles on board the ship.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In a sense, it doesn't matter what started it. Surely the end result is a fire burning out of control fuelled by 25 EVs
Easy to blame so the other 2500 cars with fuel in the tanks did not contribute to it

Obviously everything contributes to it? Anyway we'll see when more info becomes available.

Was it
The official statement would never admit to it being caused by an EV....so many countries have nailed their colours to the mast of the great EV panacea they can't let it fail .

Imagine if this was proven to be caused by an EV ......no more EV's allowed on ferries or in the tunnel , underground city centre car parks out of bounds to EV's.... the list goes on.....

Pretty much all the technicians I know who work on EV's in the dealer network wouldn't buy one , would definitely not have one on charge in their garage or next to their house and laugh at the so called zero emission claims..... by the time the vehicle is on it's second battery under warranty that vehicle will never ever be carbon neutral or zero emission and in truth is much worse than a big ICE engined vehicle....

Speaking with a bloke today who has spent decades working in the conservation industry around the world and his comment was.... "the amount of greenwashing of lithium production going on is unbelievable....and compares to the corruption in Northern African countries I experienced when working there "

I remember this happening in 2019 and delaying the start of the inaugural Moto E championship.
The report says no bikes were actually on charge at the time so who knows how it started. Maybe the fire would have been just as destructive if the place had been full of conventional bikes with fuel tanks but draw your own conclusions on that one.......
Moto E Fire

....and on a smaller scale:
Battery fire hazard.

You'd hope that batteries in EV's are built to the highest standards along with the charging circuitry but the technology is the same.

Pro's and cons to EVs for sure - and personal choice if they make sense for you then great. Annoys me that the Cons are downplayed or worse you're told you're part of the problem if you're not an EV fanboy - bit too much 'planet saving' koolaid being consumed around EV. Reality is if every ICE car was replaced by an EV right now there would be zero impact to climate change - not until the means to produce electricity to power them is done without gas and fossil fuels will such claims hold up to analysis.
I'm a fan of decarbonising and saving Planet A - it's why I keep my 30 year old LandCruiser in fine fettle instead of replacing it with sexy younger models every few years - it may 'emit' more harmful gases per journey than an EV but on a lifecycle basis it's a lot greener!

Right now EV feels like a great sleight of hand - everyone is talking up the positives and gladhanding whilst willingly ignoring the inaction on energy strategy, on tackling the real decarbonisation needs, the fact that nuclear has been demonised despite it be the greenest of energy sources (yes more than wind/solar) means that the electricity needed for those EV's just moves the 'guilt' from being visible on your driveway to being 'someone else's' problem.

I'm more excited by what Toyota and Hyundai are developing with hydrogen powered engines than EV - maybe the dream is a retrofit hydrogen fuel cell motor for my 80 series!

Back