Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

EV's -Tesla

I think build quality of most(all?) new cars is about the same, they all fall in the range of 2 to 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Check out the Porsche Tycan, it's certainly nearer the 10.

I know as members on a Landcruiser forum, we may have a slightly different mentality but most new cars, whether they're ICE, EV or Hybrid, are just another form of White goods really.

"Build quality" is a relative term and meaningless to most consumers. As long as the touchy-feely bits are nice and soft and the other bits are shiny - what the marketeers describes as "luxury", most people are happy - they couldn't care less whether the underside is going to rust in a few years or not, as they'll have chopped it in for the next model by then.

P.S. having said all that, take a drive or ride in a Audi eTron GT - a revelation!!

We all know that very cold weather affects the performance of LA batteries in ICE vehicles so I'm curious if and how the low temperatures some parts have been getting recently, -10 to -15 affects the charging and/or range of an EV that lives outside?

A lot of reports about that recently in the media with EV's dying, and charging points unable to function properly and queues of people waiting to charge.
Some having to be towed there by recovery.
It apparently takes forever to charge in these cold snaps as the battery has to go through a warming/optimal temperature before actually charging properly.

Last edited:
We all know that very cold weather affects the performance of LA batteries in ICE vehicles so I'm curious if and how the low temperatures some parts have been getting recently, -10 to -15 affects the charging and/or range of an EV that lives outside?
Can't vouch for the accuracy but plenty of videos of Tesla etc not doing well in the low temps in the USA.....

A female friend has an electric Mini called "Sparky" that she uses to do very short local trips ..... apparently the range suffers dramatically in frosty cold weather and if you use the heater etc you can see the range falling away . TBH it gets very little use and was bought when the fuel shortages were a thing a few years ago....she and her husband both have Range Rovers under 2 years old.... Sparky tends to get used to do the shop etc and avoid car park dings on both RR's

One telling video was of a saleswoman in USA or Canada taking the EV version of the F150 for a drive round the block to prove it still worked.... her conclusion was along the lines
" Yes it worked and I'd pop down to the shops in it....would I take it on a 50 mile highway trip in these temps ? probably not " and she was supposed to be selling it !

My niece's husband's company car's a Tesla,charge up at work and home is a short drive.They drove to Scotland for their wedding and it took 3 days to get there from Exeter! If they had taken their Mini it would have been much less stressful.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I chat with the local delivery drivers. The dpd driver cannot use the van heater in the cold weather as she cant complete her round if she does. local posties tell similar stories with their shite electric vehicles (their words).

build quality
This might be true. I only saw these three new cars EV6, Mustang Mache E and Model Y and all of them are at low scale. I opened front bonnet of Model Y, Its just a thin tin metal. Compared to that Mustang felt like built from real steel at least. The feel you get about build quality when we close doors on these new cars was much worse than the 15-year-old Lexus. There is a massive difference.

Finally went for EV6 as it is a proper girly car (Inside it feels like a well-designed beauty parlour) and I am replacing Mrs. Lexus so went for it and canceled Mustang last minute due to Kia having better finance options.

In future, we will miss that build quality or we have to pay a lot more for the same.

German cars are there but I am a bit scared of them as they feel too complicated to me. You select a top trim and see the price but can't assume you get all toys in that trim, you have to add all toys individually which makes it so confusing. Japanese or Korean cars, even American cars dosent do that. There will be 2-3 trims, you select the top one and you get all toys by default.

German cars are there but I am a bit scared of them as they feel too complicated to me. You select a top trim and see the price but can't assume you get all toys in that trim, you have to add all toys individually which makes it so confusing. Japanese or Korean cars, even American cars dosent do that. There will be 2-3 trims, you select the top one and you get all toys by default.
And there was talk of some features like heated seats on BMWs being fitted but you couldn't use them until you had purchased an "unlock code" in the future....so all the expensive hardware was already fitted to every car.....
Mrs G has an E Class Merc Estate ... it's lovely and well built but due replacement ( like the sofas in the front room that had nothing wrong with them but she wanted to "update" the room ;-) ....) so we have been looking at newer ones..... the spec is variable and no 2 cars seem to be the same as like you say it's an option tick box list when new . That and the fact that newer E Class are having the rear subframe replaced by Merc under warranty as it rusts away makes me reluctant to change what she has for something that will have more issues and not be as nice to drive.. ( most E Class Estates now have a stupid little 2.2 litre 4 cylinder diesel and not the proper V6 she has ..... Merc even got that wrong though by fitting oil cooler O ring seals that are affected by oil and leak after a while.... a 7 hour job to change a part that costs a few quid because it lives in the bottom of the V .

Personally I don't think German is premium any more and Kia's more upmarket models are better built than a BMW etc .

Reactions: Raj
some features like heated seats
Yes, I too remember reading this. They tried and got rid of it as it backfired or too early to introduce. However, with all these EVs such subscription systems are becoming common. Tesla's subscriptions for various things, Ford's subscription for Blue Cruise (Ford's autopilot), and even Kia has a subscription for using its advanced features on its app(I didn't look into it as it's a tax and LandCruiser saver. Use more of such cars and prolong the life of LandCruiser). I guess the rest would have similar subscription models.

The £13k I paid for the 80 back in 2005 is the most I've ever paid for a vehicle, bikes excluded. It"s also the longest I've ever owned one vehicle by quite a long way.
i actually payed the same for my 80 in the same year!

89000 on the clock. now 341000.

without doubt the best vehicle ive ever owned and ever will own.

And there was talk of some features like heated seats on BMWs being fitted but you couldn't use them until you had purchased an "unlock code" in the future....so all the expensive hardware was already fitted to every car.....
Mrs G has an E Class Merc Estate ... it's lovely and well built but due replacement ( like the sofas in the front room that had nothing wrong with them but she wanted to "update" the room ;-) ....) so we have been looking at newer ones..... the spec is variable and no 2 cars seem to be the same as like you say it's an option tick box list when new . That and the fact that newer E Class are having the rear subframe replaced by Merc under warranty as it rusts away makes me reluctant to change what she has for something that will have more issues and not be as nice to drive.. ( most E Class Estates now have a stupid little 2.2 litre 4 cylinder diesel and not the proper V6 she has ..... Merc even got that wrong though by fitting oil cooler O ring seals that are affected by oil and leak after a while.... a 7 hour job to change a part that costs a few quid because it lives in the bottom of the V .

Personally I don't think German is premium any more and Kia's more upmarket models are better built than a BMW etc .
after ems rav 4 developing a gearbox fault and turning to dust underneath we got a 2011 sorento. seems much better built, has a timing chain, and a proper spare wheel, rather than a tub of gunk..

A pal of mine has changed to an electric Audi (Q4 I think) and reckons it’s the dogs wotsits ( or as predictive text put it, the dogs wetsuits!) he regularly makes a return trip to the West Mids on a single charge and reckons an overnight charge at home costs him about £15 compared to a tank of fuel at £50 - 60. So as far as he’s concerned it’s all good, but I reckon his man maths is flawed!
£50 - 60 of fuel will do the same round trip twice, probably with some to spare, so the difference is effectively halved, add in the premium of buying electric over petrol, say £10k, plus the higher depreciation factored in by the lease co and it just doesn’t stack up for me!

They might be ok if

1) theres an incentive on the price - fleet buyers, company cars etc

2) someone else is paying for it

3) you can charge at home. Dont charge it overnight though - see unlucky 13

4) you always travel to the same places and theyre within your range

5) you never need to use your car to go somewhere unexpected in an emergency

6) you never need to charge at a public charger especially at motorway services

7) you dont mind the car being written off because of a minor shunt, and nobody will take the risk of a battery repair

8) you dont drive much in the winter - your range will go down

9) you dont drive much in the summer - using that a/c will cause your range to go down

10) you don't mind spending the night before your trip looking at maps, weather forecasts and websites to make sure you plan your trip

11) you dont mind loading 300 apps on your phone just to make sure you can use all the chargers

12) you have an extra budget for tyres because these things are heavy and go through more tyres than the michelin man

13) you can park it a long way from your house. If it decides to go on fire, you aint putting it out. Neither is anyone else.

Back