Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Excessive play in transfer box KZJ90

The parked test yesterday showed both prop shafts turned when the clutch was released from 12 oclock to about 12.15 before engaging with a bang .

I would have expected there to have been at least a good rattle or a clunk before the drive shafts turned if it was slack in the chain causing it.

Ok try this, with the engine off, gears engaged in the position that bangs, jack up and support all wheels off the ground. Grasp both the drive shafts and see if you can rotate them back and forth significantly as in the video above. If you can, then try another gear and see if the amount is a lot different. If you've got roughly the same amount of rotation, give or take, in each of the gears, and it's as much as in the video, then I would suspect you are right on the chain being slack or something in the transfer box. You can also check to see where the sound comes from.

Then put it in the gear that gives you least rotation (if there is one that stands out) and try the transfer shift in all its positions. You should then be able to form a picture of what's going on inside. Also by contra-rotating front and rear shafts against one another with the central diff open you should be able to see how much slack there is on the central diff compared to when the diff is locked, for if the chain is slack when locked the front shaft should be able to turn much more than the rear.

With the method above in that order, you are checking and gradually eliminating any slack in the gearbox from the clutch back, to start giving you an idea of where the slack, if any lies.

Last edited:
Will always be glad of your input Trev and i admit i had to look up what the flywheel does but my current thoughts are the bang is too consistent to be a clutch mating problem though i have no idea what might be going on behind the wheel ? also i couldn't reproduce the bang while parked yesterday which has caused me to speculate , I didn't park tidy - front wheels were at 2 oclock - i reversed in :think: all the wheels were moving at different speeds which might by way of fluke left the top of the chain tight thus preventing the bang ?

I had one car that had been driving forever (about 1000km) with the centre diff locked and everything had been hot and horrible. The box was discoloured and the chain was stretched. The cost for a chain was about $250 and time was about 5 hours. sorted it out nicely

Please tell us more Steve 250 dollars suggests your in America and my research suggests this is a more common problem with Jeep ? What were the symptoms while driving with a slack chain ?

Starcruiser good idea i expect a slack chain would allow front and rear wheels to rotate slightly in opposite directions with the centre diff locked that will have to wait though as my axle stands are under the trailer :lol: I would hope no other noises indicates the chain is not slipping and everything else is good .

Last edited:
I know you think it's not clutch related but have you thought it might be a dodgy thrust bearing?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks mrD all suggestions are welcome . From what i can gather (mostly on LR forums) a dodgy thrust bearing would result in a gravelly grinding sort of noise which doesn't fit at all . Unless you mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdl7texNgBk which would fit all too well :shock: not on a Toyota that hasn't yet hit 100k surely :pray:

No problem, not trying to point you in the wrong direction but having not heard the noise it's hard to tell. I have known bad thrust bearings to cause a clunk in the past though.

Hope you find the source.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am still hoping to find the front or rear or both diffs bone dry it might be wishful thinking but one can but hope . Just had a quick go at the rear and i've got no chance of getting the filler plug out there's just no room with knackered standard suspension on the truck . Screwfix tomorrow for a couple of ramps and as soon as i get back from Romania she is getting a suspension lift whether she likes it or not :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm trying to understand this symptom, when setting of in first to second or even third gear I get the dash vibrating at low speed but there's no bang I thought it was me and my driving revs being too low etc but wth slower gear changes higher revs I can get no vibration at all.

How does your other truck compare Shayne and bang or vibration on that?

Dash rattle is common enough in the 90/95 series Umar and if you search the web i think you will find it can be cured with a couple of screws in the right place . Don't let this thread concern you because whatever problem i have its a rare one for a Landcruiser .

Please tell us more Steve 250 dollars suggests your in America and my research suggests this is a more common problem with Jeep ? What were the symptoms while driving with a slack chain ?

Hi, I am in Entebbe, Uganda, and $$ is a common reference. This car is a 1KZ-TE auto, we bought it for one of our staff. The symptoms were that when you took off sharp and hard, ie. traffic lights, reverse and start there was a big CLUNK from the transfer box. No other input led me to dismantle the box still in the car and found the chain slack and the box quite burnt. The chain had been jumping on the sprocket due to the diff lock being left on for a long period. I didnt do the bearings, only the chain and it is fine now.

And the answer is ....... :oops: ....... do i have to reveal it :shifty: no wonder the original poster of the rattling dash thread left it an open question :cry:

Now come on Shayne. Stiff upper lip and all that. You can't leave us all in suspenders you know…[emoji6][emoji36]

Blatantly obvious , couldn't see the forest because the trees were in the way , i tried to bargain the purchase price down because of it , I've been under the truck umpteen times this week and cursed it every time , I moaned about it 9 posts back !

Errm, would that be 'knackered standard suspension' perchance?

Bingo Starcruiser why didn't you tell me that a week ago :icon-rolleyes:

I'm sorry Shayne…[emoji22]
I'll try harder next time…

Broken spring?

Yes do :lol:

There is no suspension to speak of , i knew at a glance before buying the truck it needed replacing which didn't bother me as i planned to lift it anyway as soon as i could talk the mrs around to the idea , and with that thought i completely switched off to the problem assuming Helen would demand i fix it at some point . I was changing rear diff oil today when i noticed she is not far off sitting on the bumpstops !

I think whats happening is the normal muted thump we get when the clutch is released and the drivetrain meshes is travelling through the whole car , wheels , chassis , body , interior and even windows are probably vibrating like an amplifier . It seems much louder than it really is i think because you feel it as much as you hear it .

Suppose i won't know for sure until i change the suspension but Roughtrax are out of stock for a fortnight and its only 40 odd days until the Romania trip so yeah we will see

Back