Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Fabricated rear subtank

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

I found a template for a rear sub tank for a 120 series a while back.

The space used is the space between the rear chassis rails.

the tank looks like this.
LandCruiserextratankcleaned.jpg

Then a filler pipe like this, welded into the side.
filler2.jpg

My rough sizes,

Sizes roughly from 1mm mild steel sheet, folded where practicable, mig'd otherwise.

The front width measurement about 1000 mm
the rear width measurement about 400 mm, (this angular accounts for the corner bracing from the chassis rails to the rear cross member)
The front to rear measurement about 700 mm
The depth (height) about 200 mm

It would need a couple of baffles welding inside to slow down the sloshing.
For now ignore the fill hole, and the vent.

Instead, I would ask this what I have to be welded into the right side shown in the image.etc and making the tank 200 mm deep, give the tank a capacity of around 180 liters, = 180 kg or there about.

Is 180 liters to much? should the depth be reduced from 200 mm (180 liters) to say 150 mm, (135 liters) or 100 mm (90 liters) ?

Is 1mm mild steel with baffles sufficient?, folded or mig'd where required?

I guess if we had more than 1 built then the cost could come down?

Who could make such a thing?

Gra

Last edited:
Hi Graham. Looks good and I also like the idea of where the tank will go. Mild steel would be alot cheaper to manufacture. It would put my mind at ease in the knowledge that the tank is made from stainless steel. SS vs MS?(debate) Size matters for me! lol. Go with the tank that holds the most volume, if its long journeys you have in mind. Out of the city and past the last fuel station, the extra fuel (180l v 135l v 90l) and therefore extra weight should nt be a problem. I mean what are the chances of Mr Plod pulling people on a deserted road 200 miles from the nearest town. You could always half fill the tank if weight is a problem. I just think if anyone is going to utilize a space under the truck, use it to its full potential. I see 2 mounting points, and 1 or 2 more out of view maybe. Yip nice find.

I think perhaps I should try make one out of hardboard and bit's of off-cut timber.
Then when the "thing" fits snug, then hawk it around to a few fabrication shops getting prices.
By having it all made out of say, 1 mm or even 0.7 mm tin sheet, it keeps it nice an relatively light and material wise, cheap.
Undercoated, and painted with sikoflex or similar.
One could always fit a separate protection sheet under the tank for added protection.

How much would one cost about?

The original one for sale, is made totally out of 3.0 mm 304 stainless, and costs £700 Too much overkill for me, and too much cost.

Gra

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider 0.7 mm steel personally. I'm not 100% with 1mm for that matter. The last thing you would want is to be on a rough track and punch a hole through it in the middle of nowhere. The other point is that if too thin it will flex a lot and eventually crack. I think I'd be looking at 1.5mm personally. The weight isn't that significant compared to the weight of fuel.

agree with OG, I would think 2mm Mild steel would be pretty strong and durable, and cost wise it would only be a little bit more.

Back