Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Family trip to Le Tranche Sur-Mer, France

oneafrikan

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hello all,

Have just got back our LC (1994 80 diesel) from Julian at OC after a baseline service, and now we're going on our first family trip to France (Le Tranche Sur-Mer). Two adults, one little boy (17 months now)... And we're going to be doing more driving than on any other trip before, so have some questions...

1) any recommendations for an iPhone 6 Plus mount?
2) how would you split the trip up, taking into account driving distances, little kid, vehicle, and sanity - anyone done this with kids? Feels like a break every 90 mins makes sense. Guess it varies for every family, but there must be some good ideas out there!
3) what are you doing for better lighting in the cabin? The stock lights seem a little dim - any recommends for LED lights?
4) any tips / tricks / gotchas, which you'd recommend for a trip like this?

Thanks!
gareth

For the lights I bought a kit of Ebay with 24(?) LED lights. Seems to work very well (although I have not had any long term results) I did leave the light on for 36hrs and the car started so hopefully that is a good sign.

For the phone mount I would suggest something like this magnetic holder. I use it with the phone case so it's strength is reduced but no major issues on normal roads (doubt you will be driving on corrigated roads...)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syncwire-U...3699113&sr=1-2&keywords=magnetic+phone+holder

Regarding stops and Fuel, try and avoid motorway stops as they seem to be very expensive.

It's also worth downloading some Googlemaps of the areas you are going and maybe Navfree App to reduce Data costs on the iphone.

Great tip on the motorway stops - i've seen then up to €0.30 c per litre more expensive!

We used to regularly holiday in Brittany and Vendee areas - though mostly North of LTSM, so have done that journey many times. With a little one of that age (and I've had 3) - I would try and keep the trip plan as flexible as possible.

When your boy's awake, plan to stop every hour or so - obviously depends on how "settled" he is but if he is like any of my kids, they'd get restless very quickly at that age. When he's asleep I would just keep driving and get as many miles under your belt as possible.

It might be a bit of a detour depending on your planned route but Mont Saint-Michel is worth a visit IMHO.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We travel at lot with a 2 year old. Try to get her asleep so give her a bottle as we leave. We have done some big distance with her in SA in one go but 2 - 3hours is about her limit at the moment.

She is loving the car now so get her to look for animals as we go.

Ram mounts are one of the best there is for the iPhone.

I eventually worked out for me personally parking as far away from the toilets as the service station carpark will allow and making my own "decent" cup of coffee with a jetboil at the truck did more to rejuvinate me in 15 minutes than an hour in a service station drinking vile coffee and worse food . A walk to the sweet shop might help the kids endure too .

Back