Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front axle problem - no drive

malteser

Country Flag
malta
Hey guys,

This morning I tried to go up a steep rocky hill but i had no front drive :cry: last time i used AWD i had no problem at all and today the hubs engaged normally and the transfer gear lever moved normally. But had no front drive :icon-mad

Everything looks normal from underneath... any suggestions ?!

Thanks in advance for your help!

So I just got home and the hubs weren't locking.. They feel quite normal when turning them but with both hubs locked i could still hand turn the front drive shaft.

First thought to my mind was my mecahic done something wrong when he changed both front bearings and brake discs. But since then I went to places where 4wd is a must. Anyway, I opened both hubs and got them to lock again. I never opened them before but after examining them I followed these steps (please tell me if correct): 1.put hub in lock position ; 2.slide it in in correct position (where gear enters almost fully) ; 3.Put back bolts.

Question: Is it possible for hubs to lock and free themselves while still showing in lock position ? Like due to some broken pin or anything (Sorry for my lack of knowledge but i'm fairly new to 4x4's)

Thanks!

That sounds correct how you have put them back together.

In answer to your question, no, I dont believe its possible. Its possible to put them back together wrong and have them always locked, even when turning them to unlock. But not the other way around.

Its usually quite obvious when something has broken on them.

Usually the locking hubs are quite reliable providing there kept greased and maintained. unless the vehicle is abused significantly off road with huge tyres, diff locks and lots of hard driving, then they do break! :icon-biggrin:

Usually the locking hubs are quite reliable providing there kept greased and maintained. unless the vehicle is abused significantly off road with huge tyres, diff locks and lots of hard driving, then they do break! :icon-biggrin:

Thank you for your reply Ben :)

Re; the greasing part... I found some sources online saying there shouldn't be any grease there, even a mate of mine told me so. Got any further knowledge on that please ?

Also, with both hubs locked, is it normal for the front drive shaft to turn 1/8 of a turn by hand ? (Unlike rear which has almost no free play). Thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I dont get on here as much anymore. :oops:

Here are some pics I've just taken from the FSM (Factory Service Manual) that may help. :icon-wink:

DSCN5826_zps36rrzwb3.jpg

DSCN5827_zps2mkjdg3r.jpg

DSCN5828_zpsll28wh6l.jpg

DSCN5829_zpsvxjenpvf.jpg

DSCN5830_zpsw8qkkdrw.jpg

DSCN5831_zps5pow06ao.jpg

DSCN5832_zpsdbe8jvcq.jpg

DSCN5833_zpsnucfmrxv.jpg

DSCN5835_zpszkvmjtsz.jpg

So as you can see, it says to apply MP (multi purpose) grease!

DSCN5834_zpskzjotvro.jpg

It only needs a smear of grease, as over greasing free wheeling hubs can cause problems.

I also like to apply a smear of grease to the outside of that cog with the internal splines.

If you apply no grease at all they will quickly seize up, especially with off road use.

If you regularly use your LandCruiser off road I'd recommend un bolting the caps off the hubs and cleaning and re-greasing them from time to time.

If the free wheeling hub wont turn, dont be tempted to use pliers or a spanner to try and turn them as they can break quite easily if your force them. Its much better to unbolt the cap and find out why its not turning. :thumbup:

Regarding the play you can feel.

Yes that is normal, that is the backlash in the diff. When a vehicle is new it should only have a tiny amount but as vehicles get older and things wear, more play develops.

I've got about that amount in my rear diff. :icon-biggrin:

Back