Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front axle seals & birfs

Definitely agree on that Chris ... which makes it harder than it should be.

Think I'll just get the seals & bearings initially. Swap the birfields from side to side after inspecting them and possibly replace with a cheap option if they do need it.

What does"lifetime guarantee" meen? Presumably when they are dead they are not covered.

Frank

You would need to read the small print.

Look for words like---Must, joking, you and be---not necessarily in that order.

Joking apart, guarantees like this will always come with some form of waver or get out clause, the most common will be driver error or usage beyond reason.

Roger

Grant I wouldn't use anything but genuine seals. Its just not the worth the hassle of having to strip it all back down again when the seals fail prematurely.

Every seal I've ever bought from Milner has failed prematurely. :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Grant where did you get the a quote for the Toyota CVs? There are cheaper alternatives for Toyota CVs than Simon Holton can offer if you are willing to wait.

Thanks Rob.

Just checked with Roughtrax. There seal kits aren't genuine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just another bit of advice on front axle rebuilds, especially if replacing CV's is to install the 100 series stub axle roller bearing conversion as I feel it locates and supports the outer part of the drive shaft more accurately. I wouldn't build another axle without installing them. I dont know what others think on the subject but in my opinion its an essential upgrade.

Andy

Hrmm ... scrap that. It was a case of reading what I wanted to read. Only the swivel seals are genuine ... not the axle seals.

But they have no stock at the second. About another three weeks I think. I busted on up before Lincoom and I had to put an old brass one back in. They are Koyo. You need to be careful pushing them in. No BFH this time. A bit of care needed. I pressed mine in, but they will tap on with the right sided tool. I forgot to slather grease all over one of them. After sitting for a while in dirty water, they didn't respond too well. That and the CV exploding too of course.

I shall have a couple of spares. Shouldn't need them really, but if supplies dry up every so often, I'd rather have them on the shelf. I'll do the new truck as well probably.

But they have no stock at the second. About another three weeks I think. I busted on up before Lincoom and I had to put an old brass one back in. They are Koyo. You need to be careful pushing them in. No BFH this time. A bit of care needed. I pressed mine in, but they will tap on with the right sided tool. I forgot to slather grease all over one of them. After sitting for a while in dirty water, they didn't respond too well. That and the CV exploding too of course.

I shall have a couple of spares. Shouldn't need them really, but if supplies dry up every so often, I'd rather have them on the shelf. I'll do the new truck as well probably.

Either the Koyo ref. no. or the dimensions of the bearing will enable you to get duplicates from a bearing stockist.

Roger

If rough trax seals are non gen are they a no go?

Dealer only next door to where I work but not the most useful people lol, was hard enough getting parts for an old Celica never mind a lc :)

If rough trax seals are non gen are they a no go?

Dealer only next door to where I work but not the most useful people lol, was hard enough getting parts for an old Celica never mind a lc :)

Doesn't it help if you give them part numbers from Toya DIY?

Roger

Will look them up next time have laptop on and give them a list.

Parts list as taken from ih8mud axle rebuild FAQ

90313-93003 Spindle Dust Seal [X2] $27.22 ea
43436-60011 Inner Spindle Gasket [X?] $ 1.14 ea
43435-60020 Outer Spindle Gasket [X2] $1.03
43204-60031 Dust Seal & wiper Kit [X2] $27.35
43422-60060 Drive Flange Hub Gasket [X2] $1.51
90311-62001 Wheel Bearing Seal [X2] $12.02
90310-35010 Inner Axle Oil Seals [X2] $6.26
90215-42025 Tabbed Spindle Lock Washer [X2] $2.81
90366-20003 Trunnion Bearings & races (Koyo: 30304AJR-2-N Hi cap) [X4] $22.38
90520-31007 Snap ring for outer axle [X2] $2.57
90126-12005 New style lower knuckle studs [X8] $1.57
94115-71200 Nuts [X?] $00.00
90201-12019 Flat washers [X?] $00.00
42323-60020 Cones [X?] $00.00

above items-------are the Re-Build Kit----------------------------
Below Items are additional that may be needed-----------------

90368-49084-77 Inner wheel bearings, Timken bearing #JLM104948, race #JLM104910 2 $50.90
90368-45087-77 Outer wheel bearings, Timken bearing #LM102949 , race #LM102910 2 $43.85
Option to above WHEEL BEARINGS: Auto Zone Timken wheel bearings and races 4 $63
43236-60020 0.10mm Knuckle bearing shims for setting preload 2 $1.39
43233-60030 0.20mm Knuckle bearing shims for setting preload 2 $2.73
43234-60020 0.50mm Knuckle bearing shims for setting preload 2 $3.01
43235-60020 1.00mm Knuckle bearing shims for setting preload 2 $4.06

90521-34005 C-Clip for Inner Axle to Birfield [X2] $2.69

Last edited:
Regarding cheap(er) CVs, no Iezura available on ebay these days? I am still running the ones I fitted a couple of years ago with no issues.

Another option, which maybe Rob was alluding to, is to buy some CV's from Dubai. The savings on a pair of OEM CV's versus UK dealer prices will more than pay for the plane ticket. Pick up some other parts while you're at it:icon-wink:

Do you have the name of a dealer in Dubai in mind? If so, wouldn't it be possible to import them?

Roger

I don't think you can do that directly as dealers agree not to ship parts internationally. I contacted Cruiser Dan on ih8mud trying to buy the rebuild kit he has put together but no joy due to the agreement.

I don't think you can do that directly as dealers agree not to ship parts internationally. I contacted Cruiser Dan on ih8mud trying to buy the rebuild kit he has put together but no joy due to the agreement.

So what we need is a contact in Dubai who will act as a go-between.

Has anybody got a suggestion?

Roger

Back