Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front Runner Spare Wheel Clamp or another??

Leopard

Country Flag
uk
Hi All

Just joined the forum having recently purchased my first Cruiser. I bought an expedition ready '91 VX but wanted to put a few mods. First of which is mounting the second spare on the roof, therefore looking for a good spare wheel clamp.
I've seen the Front Runner clamp, but not sure I like the fact that it's only got a wing nut to tighten. Has anyone got any comments on this clamp or recommend a better solution?

Thanks,

Nigel

Where are you going to mount the hoist to get it up there? :think: I'd be happy with with a spare tyre on the roof, but wouldn't go as far as a wheel + tyre.

I have seen many a folk with 2 (cross ways) ratchet tie downs, just basic, but seems to do the job.

Gra.

Some of this depends on how strong your roof rack it too. If you can screw the wheel down then the friction of the rubber tyre helps greatly in holding it in place. Straps do work, but can get cut through by rubbing. It's not an ideal place to have it. I know, I tried it. I haven't seen anything commercial out there if I am honest. I'd make something. A dish shape would be good that the tyre sits on, then it can't slide about as easily and relies less on the bolt down mechanism to hold it in place. Or bolt a piece of angle in front of it to stop it moving forward. Either way I dont' think just bolting it down is generally enough.

Chris

Yeah, it's just damn heavy up there.
Really, it's just the place you don't want it.

Gra.

Hi guys

Thanks for the advice.
I currently carry 80L of diesel on the roof, so will be reducing weight on the roof by having a spare on the roof rather than underneath the rear of the vehicle and moving the fuel into a sub tank.

I have nothing against making something to hold the tyre down, but thought I'd ask in case someone here has seen "good" products out there.

I have a Patriot rack.

Thanks,

Nigel

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Footloose 4x4 do a 90L fuel tank that sits above the spare wheel, so you can still keep the wheel under the truck for a much better load/balance.

I have travelled through southern Africa a few times using cruisers and on many occasions we have had the spare(s) strapped to the roof using normal ratchet tie down straps. They work well but you do need to check them daily as well as after any heavy off road / corrugated road sections as there is a tendency for the straps to loosen and on one occasion the strap wore through. Luckily we always use 2 straps and check the tension in the straps when we can.

A friend did have a problem with his home made system where he sandwiched the wheel to the roof rack with threaded bars and flat plate. The problem here was the vibrations caused the plates to rub against the rim. Not an ideal situation on a alloy wheel.

Personal preference would be straps and then a lockable cable to deter theft and and a last resort safety line.

Back