Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Given my 80 a massive lift

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Ha, not that kind of lift. Well after 2 days of hard off roading in lovely weather at Frickley Off Road Centre - I had to go home on a flatbed. Got some pretty good vid to post later, the beast was pretty awesome.

But alas, just as we were about the leave the car park........

I think you have to click the thumbnail. Still getting the hang of this

Attachments

• P1010054.jpg
    P1010054.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 109
OK Chris, spill all,

What have you done,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gra.

I am guessing it's a front CV, with them huge tyres.

Well I am actually happy to report that I didn't actually do anything. Neither did I break anything. THe irony of all that is killing me. Wait till you see the vids.

Anyway, we'd just washed off the lights and index plates, were having a last brew when Kev says "Chris, is that smoke coming from under your bonnet" There was a smell like burning clutch. I popped the bonnet and could hear sizzling. Jay chucked me a spanner and I whipped the terminals of the batteries. At first I couldn't see anything, but there was huge arcing every time we reconnected the battery. From the underside I wiggled the starter motor lead and it nearly came off in my hand. I took the unit off and opened the solenoid. Basically everything inside was black and smoking. Definitely the problem. Called RAC. chap came out and sucked his teeth. 'Motorsport not covered' he says. Once we have had a chat about the difference between pay and play and Motorsport, he was happier. But then read me the 'regs'. I pointed out that the key wording was 'breakdown as a result of...' I showed him the solenoid and asked him if that was a a result of...' "No. I don't think so, flat bed on its way"

Truck is looking monstrous yes. Drives nice though. But looking very battered.

Chris

Well that's not too bad then.
Quite a cheap and easy fix for during the week then?

Was the solenoid just tired and worn out?

Gra.

"Chris, is that smoke coming from under your bonnet" :o That must have brought back frghtening memories Chris.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chas more than you know. Last truck caught fire after playing in exactly the same place ! Queue spooky music!
Gra motor like new. Had it off a few weeks ago to check copper contact condition. All looked good. Will post a pic but can't actually understand what has happened.

Chris

Oh no - not again
very pleased you witnesed it and could prevent worse happening
so lucky it didnt occur at night for example

Must have been a scary moment, Chris. Glad you were there to stop any major disaster.

We thought the same. What if it had been whilst we were asleep or again, on the drive whilst I was out. Now I don't know if the same thing would had resulted. It's pretty much flattened the battery and whether there was enough umph left to get the cable glowing and start an actual fire I don't know. But the smell brought back memories.

Chris

Back