Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ground anchor

Looks like a decent product but it does not look like it will work in rocky conditions.

I think that would work in soft ground. Normally on rocky ground, the chances of getting stuck are much less anyway.

Made a stupid mistake on Saturday, went up the hill after heavy rain and got the back wheels bogged up to just below the top of the wheel rim in a cross ditch. Yep, it went straight down on one revolution of the wheels, the axle was completely buried.

No trees and the ground anchor was sitting in the shed with my shovel. What a clown I was, and it's very remote up there.

After thinking it out a bit, I removed the baseplate of the high lift, slid the jack mech off the main leg. Then I hammered the leg into the ground at about 45 degrees raking away from the truck.

It went in too easily for my liking, so I drove it in so that only about 9" was showing. I dropped the snatch block over it and looped the winch line back to a bumper shackle.

Under low drive on not much more than tick over, with everything locked, I winched out and it held. After freeing myself, I had to winch out the jack leg!

I'd bent it a bit, but with some careful chocking with wood and driving a truck wheel along it, I got it straight again. No photos, the camera and phone were back at base too.

back to the thread, I recon that would be worth storage space. My ground anchor must weigh 20+ kilos!

Pretty effective Clive. That sort of anchor can work well, but even better if you run a wire or something from the tip of the bar to another peg stuck in the ground at about 45 degrees behind it. You can even cut the peg from a tree branch sharpened to knock it in. It's all about angle and dangle. If you have a shovel, dig that in in front of the front bar to spread the force across its face. Makes it very hard to pull through the dirt. I've been stuck in the boonies before too like this and you have to get very creative. This was where we first tried burying the spare wheel.

Yep, all good stuff Chris, but it was a senior moment trip, no shovel, no trees, not even a bush in sight. There were some massive abandoned ant hills about a foot high and maybe 3' in diameter. On 2 occasions I wrapped the strap around them but all I did was tear them clean off the ground.

I really was surprised (and relieved) that the high-lift worked. I was stuck good & proper.

It looks no lighter or smaller than my PRT, but my PRT will work wedged in between rocks. Plus less work to get it into the ground.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back