Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ground Tents..........whats your advice..?

Take a lighter with you too, burn the paper.
Alternatively from Go Outdoors you can get a luggable loo, basically a bucket with a loo seat, use a biodegradable bag, do your business, then bury. Can then be done in the privacy of your tent!! :thumbup:

I was thinking about getting an Airtop roof tent, then I saw these,
http://uk.oztent.com/Your-OZTENT/
up in under one minute from off the truck to fully erected :thumbup: , no extra weight on top of the truck all the time :thumbup: , you can leave it pitched and drive away :thumbup: and you don't have to climb down a ladder for a pee in the night :thumbup: and about 1/3 the price of the Airtop :thumbup: , OK now tell me why I shouldn't buy one :think: .

Hi Chas,

No reasons I can think of not to get one, I have one, as do several of the lads and lassies who come to the Lincomb events. Can be heavy to put onto roof, if on your own, just need a good technique,otherwise great. Very well made, and the list of extras are excellent. Cost more than some, but you do get what you pay for. The wall sets are a great extra.

Will set mine up in May, for Rodger and Corinne to use,so you are welcome to have a look and check it out.

Cossack said:
I was thinking about getting an Airtop roof tent, then I saw these,
http://uk.oztent.com/Your-OZTENT/
up in under one minute from off the truck to fully erected :thumbup: , no extra weight on top of the truck all the time :thumbup: , you can leave it pitched and drive away :thumbup: and you don't have to climb down a ladder for a pee in the night :thumbup: and about 1/3 the price of the Airtop :thumbup: , OK now tell me why I shouldn't buy one :think: .

I have the RV3 with side panels and I'm pleased with it, very nicely made, well thought out and easy to erect and pack away it's 2m long though which may or may not be a problem.

I have never ever slept in mine tbh though.

Cheers Tony, I was hoping I might see one there, I can compare between Jon W's Airtop and the Oz, it's unlikely I would be buying either before May.

I converted from roof tent to oztent. best move ever :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Recieved this in the post today which may help and yes vat is incorrectly printed but the final price is correct.
scan0011.jpg

scan0009.jpg

Attachments

• scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 87
  • scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 84
Cossack said:
Just thought of another advantage, it would be easy to accomodate a PortaPotty which would not really be too easy in a roof tent :thumbup:

Cant stand up in a roof tent either, on the oz tent you get an awning too :thumbup:

Concur, got an OzTent RV4 after having a look at Paul's. Fantastic bit of kit.

Next time we all go camping i think we should have a tent pitching race

I know that this is about which ground tent - not which is better a ground tent or a RTT, but I have never slept so well in anything since I got a RTT. I have half a dozen ground tents and actually looking at another! So I do like them, but in terms of comfort, getting off the floor just seems so much better. I think that in terms of 'pull up and pitch' the RTT really gets my vote. But in terms of what you'd call 'camping' I'd prefer a GT. So if I plan to be in the same location for a couple of days, I'd definitely pitch static so that I could use the vehicle. Second best though, I would say is the comfort from a camp bed. Not a mat or a mattress, but a camp bed. I've got several of those £10 steel frame slot together things. Beats anything you'd lay on the ground. But the tent needs to be big enough to lay one out of course.

Chris

I thought seriously about getting one of the smaller Oz tents but in the end the Maggiolina RT is a much better match for my requirements which is what it's all about really, what works best for you. The last ground tent camping trip I made an effort to reproduce the RT comfort in a ground tent with a good padded camp bed and a good self inflating matress. I still didn't sleep as well as in the RT. By the time I'd stuffed the sleeping bag in its sack, rolled the matress, collapsed the camp bed and shoved them all back in the truck I was already fed up, the truck was half full and I still had a wet tent to put away :lol: Choosing a suitable bit of ground had also been a problem as it was boggy both nights, a common problem for me, that and lack of space for tents.

I've decided to go with the roof tent option, I've done a lot of journeys in Europe and it's very convenient to pull up at a service station and wind the tent up, with a ground tent that's not really an option. Slightly OT, but I won't be able to do the Lincomb week-end (domestics) but I'll come up for a day to see the various tents, especially to have a look at Jon's Airtop.

I haven't seen anybody post about Hennessy Hammocks - I think they look like a great solution because even when you can't hang them up you can use them as a traditional tent as well. They pack up easily and have loyal customers. The four season accessory makes them good for Winter too. Getting in and out is easy too.

Has anybody used them? You can get them in the UK. I'm going to go for it because they complement the RTT. Oztents are great but overkill when you have a RTT.

I've been dawdling over buying one of those hammocks for ages now Si - let me know how you get on with it if you buy one & I'll do likewise!!!

Cheers

I am seriously considering one of these. It'd be great for Lincomb. Family might be coming. Even though Nick and I might share the challenge driving. (can't see missus sitting in a car with me as we go over the top of Rubie Hill never mind just going across the car park.

Chris

http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?mai ... ducts_id=2

Back