Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hammers

warrenpfo

My long serving little light weight hammer that was given tome has broken today and so I need to get a new one...in fact I could do with a set of hammers if such a thing existed as all I have now is a rubber mallet.

Anyone care to recommend a brand if there is such a thing or are the jobbies you get from poundland etc good enough.

Last question when do you use a dead blow hammer over a mallet or a normal hammer?

Last edited:
"Forged Steel" from screw fix is a great hammer for a very reasonable price. I have had mine for about 4yrs now and it has seen all sorts of abuse on and off of site.

Not sure about the other things though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I reckon you need a few hammers:
1 - normal claw hammer for most jobs around the house
2 - smaller ball pene hammer for smaller jobs and woodworking
3 - rubber mallet for hitting more delicate things
4 - a 2lb and/or 5lb hammer for giving things a proper whack (10lb hammers get a bit tricky to use unless you have loads of room to swing)
5 - welding hammer if you have an arc welder
6 - large copper hammer for hitting expensive things very hard

Last edited:
I reckon you need a few hammers:
4 - a 2lb and/or 5lb hammer for giving things a proper whack (10lb hammers get a bit tricky to use unless you have loads of room to swing)

Thanks, would you recommend a make. One of my mates said to get estwing hammers but man they are not cheap

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i reckon you need a few hammers:
7 - f.b.h.

What is this foot ball you speak of

hammer wise
cheap and cheerful selection or proper nicely made ones..... I have both and have some cheapo ones that are very good, I would only buy a cheapo if I can pick it up and have a feel, lots of cheapo ones are horrible.

Thanks, would you recommend a make. One of my mates said to get estwing hammers but man they are not cheap

With the exception of the Thor copper hammer that I bought online, I just go have a feel of it in the shop and decide that way.

I've been using my estwing hammer on site for 9 years now and they are great hammers. :clap:

Bit different though when your using something all day everyday, you want the best.

Not sure I'd spend that much on workshop/working on car hammers though. :think:

Think I'd go for the screwfix ones myself. :icon-wink:

Unless you are a carpenter, I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on a hammer. It's a fairly low tech bit of kit that you hit things with...

Now if you started talking spanners, ratchet sets, screwdrivers or power tools that would be a completely different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I bought a small claw hammer (couldn't find a small ball pein one) to carry in the toolbag in the 'boot' and sawed the claws off, saves it snagging in the bag and very easy to wield in confined places. :thumbup:

Back