Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HD-FT overland build - Brenda the devastator

I've an Intercooler like that one sitting in my garage to fit one day. Though I agree there will be pressure dropped across the intercooler, is it not the case that any intercooler will drop pressure due to cooling the air molecules, causing them to be closer together and taking up less space?

I think Sam (Bakkies) has the same intercooler fitted to his truck.

You managed to squeeze some Cruiser time in then H. Zorst looks pretty good. How does it sound?

I can really only comment on the sound from the steering wheel.
There is less drone from under the floor and it's been replaced with whooshing noise from either the turbine or the cyclone inside the snorkel box. It was easy enough to fit and took a couple of hours with a ramp. Decent bit of kit for the money.
Had all the gaskets etc and followed the line of the original very well.

Wow ! After a long spell without doing a thing on Brenda, I finally got some cruiser time ☺️.
First thing was removing the power to the intake heater after becoming paranoid that she was gonna go up in smoke.
After changing the turbo out I've had an intermittent "glow plug" warning .
I've removed the power and still have the annoying warning but I know there's no power there so I feel a bit better.
Arrived back to a mountain of parcels and the one I was really looking forward to .... Pop up windows from Rich . They're in but pics are to come. Really well built, packaged really well and I can't believe my luck.. The keys are the same as my roof box, tis destiny I tell you.
I have had boxes of soundproofing lying around for months so I bit the bullet and started.
First layer is sound dampening with an aluminium skin. Apparently you only need to cover 50% of the panel but she's a noisy girl and I over ordered.
2nd layer is a 10mm closed cell foam and the final (in most areas) layer is
Mass loaded vinyl 2mm thick.
I had to do it in bits and bobs as she is still a working car and most of the work was done between 5 & 9 am before the kids woke and demanded trips to the swimming pool, shops, etc etc.
Is it quieter ? I haven't finished and most sound comes through the doors anyway so I'll post my findings in a couple of days. I can say one thing though, without anything there the transmission tunnel is the main source of the cabin noise, so may double up the vinyl with another product in this area.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Z
I did that to mine. It certainly made my left leg cooler!

That's always made me think the transfer box has too little oil in.
It gets damn hot on a long run.
Can't work off it's quieter as I've got water in my ears from swimming with the kids... Got the doors to do tomorrow
Finished the boot rear seat/arches today, seems quieter at motorway speeds. The foil backed bitumen will cut you so anyone doing it is advised to wear gloves. I mean thick cut resistant ones.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Moved onto the front doors this morning. Astounded to find there isn't any dampening/deadening at all in the front doors ?! I realise when the competition is a tractor from Birmingham you don't need to try too hard but still it surprised me.
That's no longer the case and I've also skinned the inside of the door cards with the heavy vinyl. Really easy to do with no adhesive used, just used the clips to hold it in place. It's getting noticeably quieter in the cabin which was the desired effect.
It all began when the better half said " I don't know why you love that heap of shit ... It's old slow and its noisy"
Funny I'm the same and she seems to be happy with me at the moment .

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well the bonnet is done all that remains is the rear doors and the lower tailgate.
Well the verdict is .... Well worth the time, if I did nothing else I'd do the doors and the transmission tunnel.
I reckon she is 30% quieter round town and 40% at higher geared motorway speeds. Downside is I can hear the kids scrapping in the back seats oh so clearly.

image.jpeg

" I don't know why you love that heap of shit ... It's old slow and its noisy"

Seriously?

my missus loves the cruiser, came in handy when we were first dating..;)

Oh I'm trying to keep this one
She was born the year I turned 21...
I think it's just the attention I lavish on Bremda makes her jealous.
Well in that case education is required. If I were you I'd take her out in an old Defender for a 'Jeep tour' somewhere and show her what she could be bounced around instead.
I believe you're intending to add some speed along with cutting down the noise so the only thing left is to make Brenda younger. :think: Maybe you could try rubbing Nivea into the paintwork? :)

God she must be special if she's a keeper after a comment like that H! People have been shot for less!

:)

Well in that case education is required. If I were you I'd take her out in an old Defender for a 'Jeep tour' somewhere and show her what she could be bounced around instead.
I believe you're intending to add some speed along with cutting down the noise so the only thing left is to make Brenda younger. :think: Maybe you could try rubbing Nivea into the paintwork? :)

God she must be special if she's a keeper after a comment like that H! People have been shot for less!

:)

I've forgiven her as she has decided our second car should be a Nissan .
Normally I'd be upset but she complains the Subaru we have is sluggish and has her heart set on a Skyline coupe . I feel another turbo upgrade coming on.

More Brenda time today . If only I had more time she'd soon be perfect.
Discovered a soggy rear door card on the passenger side which needs replacing and the waterproof plastic on the door is missing altogether on the rear drivers side.
Well finally lashed part one of the front bumper, it's just an A bar at this point but brush bars and the remained etc will go on eventually.
Quite like the A bar look though tbh.
Oh and how can I forget my flappy Mcgullflaps. Totally love them.
One of the things I love most about Brenda is the custom stuff that's gone on her and the help I've had from Chris & Rich it getting her useable and ready to travel. Thanks gents.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Woohoo…looking good there H. The gullwings look good against the blue. :thumbup: Brenda is looking good!

yeah looks good mate, gullwings do look good against the blue..

where is the roof box from hw?

I was looking at those roof boxes. They sell them on eBay and have a contact page.

Yeah they have the standard sizes up on eBay. I kept mine just narrower than the bars on the roof rack so I can use them as a hand hold. Looking at your lovely pop out windows I half wish I'd had it made in smooth aluminium as opposed to chequer plate.

Yeah they have the standard sizes up on eBay. I kept mine just narrower than the bars on the roof rack so I can use them as a hand hold. Looking at your lovely pop out windows I half wish I'd had it made in smooth aluminium as opposed to chequer plate.
ive thought the same, do they have an option for smooth rather than chequer plate?

I keep meaning to look into making my own when I get some spare time..

Back