Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HD-FT overland build - Brenda the devastator

That will do nicely IMO.

When I'm on runs where deep mud is likely (not always predictable though) I bring the winch line (on a strop) up onto the bar and I've some anchors higher up at chassis level, for snatch-block returns.

That tends to keep my elbows and shoulders clean in muddy conditions at least, if not my hands :lol:.

Lovely build though, a pleasure to see it coming on the way it is.

Cheers
It's a labour of love, I've not been this passionate about a car since I was playing with air cooled beetles and campers.
I will eventually actually get it a little muddy next summer I think.
Just got the split charge and IBS wired in very very roughly, I'm not posting a picture it's really a mess

Well it's the last day of playing with Brenda... Hooray flashing lights are flashing and both diffs are full of new Fuchs oil.
There didn't seem to be enough oil in either axle but it wasn't milky... Where did it go I wonder ?

image.jpeg

Managed to get my hands on some used Perspex light guards, they arrived and they were severely scratched and yellow looking.
After having replaced one headlight on the Subaru and being annoyed by the one old, one new light situation, I grabbed a headlight lens restorer kit and spent 2 mins on the Subaru and an hour on these -/:mad:&£@ing things.
My hand hurts like a 14 yr old without an adult filter on the wifi at home....
You basically wet polish them with progressively finer grades of abrasive till they clear up.
Still they're useable now and will probably get sandblasted opaque again before long

image.jpg

Well as a Christmas present to myself I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of these to monitor EGT's and boost.
I think ill be dropping the probe in at the exhaust manifold so i guess the turbo comes off so i can blow the chaff out from drilling the probe by starting the engine.
That's not my dashboard but thats the general idea.
egt1.jpg
egt2.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd have one if it doubled as a cup holder.

I'm the clumsiest person on earth Chris. I may as well pull out the stereo and pour coffee into directly and save all the messing about. I saw some 3D printed ones but decided it was too dodgy a location.

You know I was kidding. I spent £40 on a cup holder for that slot and I'll be dammed if I am going to take it out to put anything in there. Even a gin and tonic dispenser.

You don't need to remove the turbo to drill the manifold. When I did mine I just took the turbo inlet pipe off so I could reach in and spin the turbine shaft with my fingers. A nice sharp bit with grease round the tip and a slow speed meant minimal debris. When almost through I spun the turbine so any bits that did that fall through would just get passed through into the exhaust. Easy.

You don't need to remove the turbo to drill the manifold. When I did mine I just took the turbo inlet pipe off so I could reach in and spin the turbine shaft with my fingers. A nice sharp bit with grease round the tip and a slow speed meant minimal debris. When almost through I spun the turbine so any bits that did that fall through would just get passed through into the exhaust. Easy.

Ah cheers for that :D

I wasnt't sure really what precautions to take, some people drill it with the engine running so the swarf is blown out as it's drilled. I'll go with your method i think.

Well not a great deal of progress really but it's worth showing I guess.
TJM rear bumper installed, it has pivots for twin carriers but only one will be used to carry a centrally mounted spare tyre. Now all I need to do is measure up the arm length etc and get the thing designed and cut/folded. Thank you to Tom who provided the rear bumper.
Front end has had a "TEQ" badge fitted (to confuse those people who look at it and wonder what the hell it is) Oh and the greatest mod of all ...
LED bulbs in the H4 unit and brighter ones in the H1 part. I had ordered them in H3 but seems I was wrong.
Now I'm really tempted to get the H1 part in LED. They make a huge difference on low beam, may as well have it on the high.
Ah and of course I sliced off the rear mudflap to get rid of the landcruiser marking and to match the front ones a little better.
Aaaaand I finally got the 30 second awning here. It travelled Brisbane-Aukland-Auckland-Dubai-Doha-Dubai- Manchester!!! The package was 3m long and I pushed it on a trolley, carried it on my shoulder and lugged it in and out and onto Ubers , taxis etc.
Now as I don't have the tamper proof bolts it's stood up in the garage .
It's the only one in the UK it better be bloody good after all that effort.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:
Well it's been a long time since I've done a thing to Brenda . I had 18hours before heading on holiday and I'd lugged a 3" exhaust over from NZ. So I swapped out the turbo, drilled and tapped the manifold for an EGT probe and changed out all the manifold studs as they came out in the process anyway. The exhaust is aluminised steel and made by X force. Came to around £450 plus the inconvenience of dragging it across the planet. I never got time to change the fuelling as per the brilliant write up posted by "Chapel Gate" I also had to take a grinder to the side steps to clear the exhaust and prevent rattles.
I've got an intermittent glow plug light but I'm gonna be ditching the intake heater next month as I've picked up the bits for a front mount intercooler shown in the last 2 pics.
Roll on July
Oh but even without the fuel adjustments there is great improvement on boost but still flat as a fart off boost. Next month should see it all done and missile like acceleration will be had .

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg

Here's to missile like acceleration!

:auto-layrubber:

I've done a bit of thinking and I'm going to "tee" of the Waste Gate pipe to the boost compensator after I've done the tune to make sure it's a little more responsive in adjusting the fueling.
I think I may get some pressure drop between the turbo and the actual intake manifold as the intercooler is 600x 300x 76 (most of the ones in the kits are 450x 300 X 76) it's got 3 inch unions at the intercooler, 2 inch at the turbo and 2 1/2 at the manifold adapter.
I think the hot charge will be 2" tube and the cold side 2 1/2".
The manifold adapter will feed the boost guage. All those vacum/boost lines are confusing as hell.
Hopefully someone who understands physics and airflow will chip in at some point regards the piping sizes but I think as I'm not gonna be banging loads of boost through it'll be fine.

You can follow the boost line from just above the large rubber connector at the turbo side of the intake manifold to the stock overboost sensor and then onto the top of the boost compensator diaphragm. I simple put a T piece into this line near the turbo end.

hard to describe, a picture would explain everything..

You'll get pressure drop across the IC due to the increased volume of air being compressed and the extra drag so you'll probably have to tweak the boost from the turbo to get back to standard boost pressure (or more if you're after even more power) at the intake manifold. The cooler charge from the IC will give more power even at standard boost settings.
Standard boost from the FSM is 5.6 - 7.3 psi @4400rpm no load. I get just over 12psi at full boost under load with standard boost settings. Boost and EGT gauges are a must and will make optimising boost and fuelling easier and safer.

Back