Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HELP!! 60 series broken down in France

moggy1968

So we are languishing in Troyes with a broken alternator. rather suprisingly Toyota can supply one at reasonable cost but they need to know if the standard one is a 30amp or 40amp. Mine has no markings on it. Can someone advise which is the right one.
My vehicle is UK spec HJ60, no aircon, standard 2H engine
cheers in advance

If it is a standard one and the same size, does it matter whether 30 or 40 amp?

I've looked through the service manual for the 60 series (here) and cannot see it stated. If they're physically the same part then get the 40A.

I wonder if Simon can supply a new one, shipped, for less? Wonder how much courier to near you would be?

The guy in the dealers reckoned they were different, otherwise I would deffo go for the 40amp because of the winch and other extra bits I've got. They're only charging I think 160euros so pretty fair price. I was going to drop in and see Maarten on the way but he's on holiday at the moment. Fingers crossed it's the right one and I can get it working. The garage say they didn't touch the vehicle wiring, they just butchered the wiring on the alternator to make the second hand unit fit. I'm just hoping there isn't something else wrong like the voltage regulator, if they have one ( I presume they do but any advice welcome)

The background to all this was a bit odd, the old alt had been playing up for a while but fiddling with connections seemed to sort it, but last week when I was towing a trailer it was overheating, which I think finished off the alternator. I got hold of 2 second hand alternators but when the garage came to fit them neither was right. As a result they had to butcher the wiring on the alt to fit it. When we started it up the charge light was still on but the gauge and a multimeter showed it charging at about 26v. Once we set off though it was overcharging at the top of the scale which was a worry but switching my lights on dropped it to about 28-30v. However, as the journey went on the charging got more and more erratic until eventually it was entirely dependent on engine revs, dropping to the bottom of the gauge on tickover and at the top of the scale at speed. I switched the engine off when we got to the campsite and it wouldn't restart donut was evident it wasn't charging towards the end of the journey. It was the way the charge level appeared dependent on revs that confused me a bit,

Sounds like perhaps the regulators gone. A bit late in the day I’m afraid, but I’ve found Paul at JCR Supplies to be helpful for alternator bits: http://www.jcrsupplies.co.uk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like perhaps the regulators gone. A bit late in the day I’m afraid, but I’ve found Paul at JCR Supplies to be helpful for alternator bits: http://www.jcrsupplies.co.uk

Yeh, I did wonder about that. We'll fit the new one and see what happens but if it doesn't resolve the problem I'll have to think about the regulator. Where is it located?

I’m not too sure on yours if it’s an external or internal (i.e. inside the casing) mount. I notice that you say that when the alternator was fitted, the garage altered the wiring to get it to work and that the warning light stayed on afterwards, I’m no expert (and anyone with more knowledge please chip in) , but depending on which wires they altered, it may have caused a problem. Might be worth checking through all the connections to make sure they’re good. A couple of sites that may be of use:

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/39441708/Toyota Alternators

http://www.peoplehelp.com.au/landcruiser/manuals/Toyota Landcruiser HJ60 Wiring Diagram.pdf

If you're stuck try Mike at Robson and Francis on 0207 733 2353. They rebuild and supply just about any alternator and parts like regulators. What he doesn't know about starters and alternators isn't worth knowing.

Sounds like regulator to me. For very little you could recondition one of the second hand units as a spare or replace an external regulator if it's what's needed.

so, new alternator connected, blew the engine fuse :o( swapped the connections around, engine runs but won't switch off and charge light on. ARRRRGGHHHHH!! changing an alternator should be the easiest job you can do on a truck!!

I'd say there was a good case for an overhaul of the wiring harness. 60's do not normally have any major electrical gremlins. I'd have said there probably wasn't a lot wrong with the original alternator.
Good luck sorting it out.

I'd say there was a good case for an overhaul of the wiring harness. 60's do not normally have any major electrical gremlins. I'd have said there probably wasn't a lot wrong with the original alternator.
Good luck sorting it out.
I think your probably right Andy. I've had concerns about the wiring since the rebuild. It started with the batteries flattening in about 4 days. I reckoned that was probably an earth fault, so I took it to an auto electricians, who said nothing was wrong. They fitted a battery isolator, but the odd thing was with the isolator off, when you opened the door the carling switches lit up!! After they fitted the second hand alternator the switches didn't light up, but the courtesy light did!! Again to me that looked like an earthing problem. The other thing was the problem I posted on here a while back about the battery light and fuel sedimenter light coming on occassionally on startup. As they soon went out I thought maybe it was down to moisture sommewhere but then last week they started being on most of the time. That was when I changed the alternator but after that the charge light and fuel sedmenter light were on all the time. I am convinced now that somewhere there is a wiring fault and it's probably an earth fault. One thing is certain. Finding it is going to cost a fucking fortune and having just spent fortunes on an aborted holiday it's not something I'm looking forward to. Can't even begin to tell you how shit this feels at the moment :0(

Mate I feel for you, however its a machine and a good auto electrician should be able to find a bad earth. I guess its a case of systematically working through all the wires earths and connections.
If all fails I'll give you a grand for it :laughing:.

Well, in the end we decided it was just too risky to carry on with what appears to be a significant wiring fault so I charged the batteries and headed for home. Made it back without a hitch 12 days before planned. Fucking gutted.

The new Alternator is showing exactly the same problems as the second hand one, charging too high at 32v+ and the battery light and fuel sedimenter light on. We know that alternator is good and the garage checked the second hand one when they fitted it and that looked to be good as well, we do know the old one was shagged, but somewhere things have gone ary.

Thanks for all the support and advice. I did ring Robson and Francis above who were really helpful and I think I'll ring them again now I'm back with a view to taking it to them to look at.

Back