Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help needed ASAP 80series low pitch vibration under load

craignzl

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi Team

I have a vx80 1990 4.2 manual I towed my boat off the beach the other day with the centre diff lock engaged now it has a low humming vibration under load mainly around 90 kph if you hold the throttle stable on it is a noticeable low tone vibration but doesn’t sound like it’s comeing from any certain spot .. if you take your foot off the accelerator it stops but as soon as load comes back on it starts again .. if you also jerk the accelerator theres a noticeable clunking in the drive line somewhere . I thought maybe a bearing in the front shaft to transfer case or god hopping not the big end bearing .. the ball joints seem solid and there no noticeable play then trying to move them by hand
Any help on where to begin or how to try isolate it would be amazing
No sign on any oil or leaks

Cheers
Craig
171C47EB-82D6-463E-9E30-E417D6CD70A7.jpeg

Have you greased or checked UJs recently ? That would be my first point of call. Having assumed the center diff has unlocked

Thanks guys I have brought new ujs for both front and rear as it’s a piece of mind thing anyway for it’s age .. the centre diff is engaging and disengaging ok . While I have the shafts out I’ll check the bearings in the transfer case also .. any ideas what the clunk might be when jerking the throttle it all most sounds like a drive shaft clonking but they feel tight .. then trying to move them but it might be something else all together

Possible backlash on diffs or transfer box. Could be the ujs banging also

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back