Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Helpful Advice Needed!

Jay Dunn

Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

Brand new to this forum, (& not strictly an LC owner yet...:eusa-shhh:) I was after some advice on the LC 120 series.

I started off at the top of the pile looking at LC5's. I really did like the idea of the air suspension, being able to raise and lower it as I needed.

Reading the odd post here and there, I'm starting to doubt its worth going for over the LC4... I hear of folk converting back over to coils, and the only other difference between the models I can see being the touch screen sat nav.

I will be using the vehicle off road... Nothing to daunting for now. My current Nissan X-Trail can handle the river I cross with only minor ground clearance issues!

Thanks in advance.

Jay.

Sorry Jay, I have no advice about the 120 as I have never owned or driven one, if you wanted to talk about an 80 series now that's a whole other barrel of fish, however as a rule of thumb I personally steer clear of any vehicle that has a ecu or sensors anywhere in its anatomy, only takes one small problem and you can be let down in a very big way.
I even dislike catalytic converters, so as you can probably guess I subscribe to the KISS school of thought, if you want car comfort get a car, if you want a vehicle that is very unlikely to give any trouble and will get you to what ever destination you have in mind then drive something crude and simple (and no I dont mean anything with a green oval badge and called defender, it's not reliable, has ecu and sensors).

Hopefully some one with more experience with the 120 than I will be along to give you some pointers as to what to look for and why, or you could peruse the 120 series section of this forum.

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
Jay perhaps you need to give it a little longer. You see it's not a public information point like 118118 or Google. We actually have things like jobs, families etc so we don't sit here waiting for questions to come in. Welcome to the forum, genuinely, but perhaps a good idea to get to know people first before demanding answers? There are many many posts on those sorts of thing and using the SEARCH facility may yield a good return - more than the odd post here and there. It helps us not to have to keep creating the same answer to common questions such as 'which 120 to buy'

Personally, I'd go with the LC3. Nice mechanical rear diff lock. All round a lovely motor. Good off road, but less protection and clearance than its predecessor the Colorado.

One of the complaints I think about the LC5 was the climate controls are part of the touch-screen so not quick to change. Think the 100 series has the same problem.

Gary has had issues with the rear air suspension - think it was more the sensors and Scottish salt than the suspension itself.

I had the LC4 and other than it being a bit of a Friday truck at times (some of which was my fault), was happy with it. Radio and toys are basic / lacking (has a digital clock!) but worked well. Satnav in the 4 works but is cumbersome to use and no real screen to display. I never used it.
No rear diff lock like the 3 but has ATRAC which works well (considering it is not locked diffs)

Apologies to all for sounding a bit short! (I'm new to forums and haven't quiet got the etiquette down) But Chris, I haven't demanded any answers! I have looked thru the forum... (Granted, I could of looked a bit harder !) and I have searched Google. I can find spec list after spec list, so I know what's different between the models but I put up this post for advice. Advice from those who know and love the Land Cruiser...

I hear what your saying about the LC3 Chris, I had one for a short period of time and loved it!

Julian, thanks for your reply... I like you're thinking, but to my own detriment nothing I ever do is simple! :)
Thanks for your reply to Crispin! I think that I probably will look more closely at the LC4. (It could just be the compromise between the simplicity Julian likes and the complicated mess I always seem to find myself in!)

Thanks again guys for your input... And I promise in the future I will search the forum more thoroughly before adding a new post! :)

Jay.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:thumbup:

Other than the locking rear diff, the LC3 has cloth seats and I think that is all in way of difference.

Yeah, I never had any drama with the LC3 I had... And that was in Afghanistan!

I suppose I feel like I'd want a bit more luxury, being the hard core off roader I'm not.

The only time I really off road is when I take it shooting, and if the X-Trail I currently drive can handle it, I know any LC can! :)

Thanks Silver... Could be a factory Upgrade! (Well worth a phone call!)

One of the guys on here is after an x-trail Jay... What do you have?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Hi Gav, I hope this picture attaches to this post...

It's a 55 plate SVE, (Black Leather, Heated seats, Sat Nav, Climate Control) It's done just over 98k, (Its in daily use)

I've added the side steps & bonnet guard... Also since this photo was taken, I've upgraded the tyres to Yokohama Geolanders!

X-Trail.jpg

I think he's looking for sommat a tad older (read cheaper!!!) but maybe its in his range... I know now't about these things; is it diesel ;)

'Fraid I cant see the pic :banghead:

Cheers Jay (apologies for the hijack)

No worries Gav, It is a diesel.

If you PM me an email address, I can email you some pictures.

Didn't think I'd get much interest if I advertised an X-Trail on here! :wtf:

Did plenty of shooting with my LC3. Got me into some tricky places. Despite being the lowest model it was still an extremely nice vehicle. And easy to wash the blood off ....

Pic now showing Jay. Last questions; where are you& how much are you looking for it? I've given Jim a heads up ;-)

Hi Gav, got a message from Jim... Thanks for passing the info on!

And Chris, I assume it got you out of those tricky spots too! :)

I can't believe no one has any advice to give on this...?
Hi Jay,

Stick to the LC3

Standard coil suspension, and a mechanical locking rear diff, not a fangled electronic thing.
The LC3, also because it has the spare wheel on the back door, instead of underneath.
This is another little change some LC4 and LC5 owners are doing by putting an LC3 back door onto their LC4 or LC5.

Also frees up space underneath, should you decide to put a sub-tank there.

Gra

Flingers clossed then JD :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yes, Jay, not a problem my Missus is a real scrubber.

Back