Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi from Altrincham, Cheshire, UK

shafiq

Country Flag
uk
My name is Shafiq, I live in Altrincham, Cheshire, UK and currently work here at Manchester Airport as an Associate Director for Turner & Townsend.

I have owned many land cruisers in the Middle East where I worked and lived for over 14 years and now I am in sunny Manchester and interested in buying a FJ40/BJ40.

Totally confused. Don't know which way to turn, whether to buy from the US, Portugal, Japan or Australia.

I am looking to learn from others and make the right decision.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Shafiq, nice intro:thumbup:

Can't advise on where to start with a hunt for a 40, sadly, but someone may come along soon with some ideas.

Just because I'm nosey, be interested to know whereabouts in the Middle East you were, for 14 years?

Hi Shafig,
FJs & BJs are as you rightly said are in short supply in the UK but there are a lot more around than nowadays.
First I would recommend looking at French ebay or similar as they still have plenty of BJs however many of them require some tlc but it's not too far to go and see ones that interest you, but they'll all be LHD.
America: rebuilt/restored FJs (they only ever had a handful of BJs) tend to fetch top dollar and then you have got to ship it and go through all the import stuff but then that applies to all and to a lesser extent includes the European sourced vehicles.
Oz trucks are RHD, which may be important to you. OZ ebay. Several members on here have imported from there and they will probably be able to guide you. There are a number of Oz members who may be able to assist, particularly once you have truck in mind but rarely are things just round the corner there.
Costa Rica may be worth a look.

I think you have to decide the model you want e,g, trying to sleep in the back of a 40 series is not possible if you are over 3 foot tall. If you want to camp in it maybe a HJ47 / troopy would be better. Obviously the BJ engines do have greater longevity and parts are more available and economical but if oodles of torque is your pleasure the the F2 engine but 15-17mpg is the best you'll get.

Bottom line - if it's an pristine FJ that does it for you then the USA is the place to look but if you want a RHD diesel the look in Oz.

Flesh out more of your specific requirements and I, and others on here, can maybe point you in the right direction.
One thing though, decide first exactly what you want and then find it - we looked at all we could find and travelled the length and breadth of the UK to find ours. Importing back then wasn't really an option. When you get nearer to viewing we can advise you of the areas to check - specifically for the dreaded meal worm and then places to get your parts from.

Hope that helps, oh yes, and welcome to the club.

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Shafiq,
The autoscout website that Mojo mentions has a 1973 - Biege - in Holland... it's a peach by the look of it - correct seating, rear heater, ?pto winch, original wheels and body looks straight. IMO definitely worth more than a casual glance. E13500

Regards,

Howdy Shafiq, you got good leads already.

Hi Shafiq,
The autoscout website that Mojo mentions has a 1973 - Biege - in Holland... it's a peach by the look of it - correct seating, rear heater, ?pto winch, original wheels and body looks straight. IMO definitely worth more than a casual glance. E13500

Regards,
Sounds a nice 1973 Cruiser, got link to it?

Hi Shafiq

If you wanna try a long way away go to Trademe.co.nz or Autotrader New Zealand too.
The majority of cars here are japanese and they're RHD.
The cost of containering one back to England is about 2K customs excluded. I enquired for shipping mine the other way round but i've had the crazy idea of driving it across as far is possible.

Hi Clive,
Thanks for the info and the welcome. I am very busy these days looking for the FJ40/BJ40 and sure with help from so many good people on this forum I will find a vehicle soon.

I worked in Dubai and Abu Dhabi mainly as a Planning Engineer during late 90's and returned to the UK in 2013. My last assignment was in Qatar, FIFA world cup project.

Thank you Rodger for your detailed response. I am really very happy to have joined this great forum. So many people have offered so much advice and help. Its great to see so much enthusiasm amongst members.
Many thanks for your advice. I have been looking for a vehicle for the last 2 weeks now. My search has taken me as far as Australia. Still looking and waiting to find the right vehicle.
I agree with your comment about the size of the vehicle. For now, I am only looking for a SWB, hence the BJ/FJ will suffice. But if I come across a better vehicle in the longer wheelbase, I am always open.

Kind regards

Back