Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How did your offroading go today?

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Not me, fortunately. Neighbour got a bit too close to the edge of a narrow mountain track. Haven't worked out how we're going to recover this yet.

tractor1.jpg
tractor2.jpg
tractor3.jog.jpg
tractor4.jpg
tractor5.jpg

Yeah, we can't work out if it's the small gorse bush or the front loader that saved him. Possibly a combination of the two. He was totally unharmed, although, not surprisingly, a big shakey.

Jeez lucky it didn't roll !

Yep, he was lucky to get away without some injury or another, assuming he wasn't hurt, that is.

You don't seem to have too much in the way of trees to winch off either, and that slope is probably much steeper than it looks in the photo.

Don't forget to have the brakes on when recovering Rob, I've watched too many u-toob vids of runaway vehicles, after recovery :lol:

What will you pull from, is there a usable tree just out of the photo? :pray:

... or a pylon post, I see a handy looking power line running along the contour above the line of the tractor...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
... or a pylon post, I see a handy looking power line running along the contour above the line of the tractor...

Yeah it's probably a 25% slope. Nothing to attach a winch to. Looking at ground anchors, and borrowing a 6 ton winch. Winch enough to lift the cab off the ground and stuff hay bales under it. I don't think we'll winch it in one pull. Will need raising a bit and a second go.

It's that or get a 13 ton excavator in.

Bugger i was thinking tie it off and it might right itself under its own power . It would upset the safety elf of course :)

Bugger i was thinking tie it off and it might right itself under its own power . It would upset the safety elf of course :)

Not sure I follow. Tie it where? I think the safety elf is crushed underneath it.

I wish you luck with ground anchors, I've found they tear out too easily, especially with such a heavy load. Maybe if you can get 2 or 3 to spread the pull.

Some snatch blocks will help too. I guess the pylon posts are too far to reach?

Shayne's been watching too many monster-truck vids, where they right themselves using steering lock :lol: it would be fun trying though .... :think:

I wish you luck with ground anchors, I've found they tear out too easily, especially with such a heavy load. Maybe if you can get 2 or 3 to spread the pull.

Some snatch blocks will help too. I guess the pylon posts are too far to reach?

Yeah, the pylons are probably 30-40m up the hill. Was thinking a couple of 3.2 ton Trifors suitable anchored. But suitable anchoring isn't easy.

It's hard to get a feel for it from the pics but tractors and diggers have a crazy low centre of gravity so for example if you anchored the bucket to something at the top of the hill then tried to drive the tractor into the ground the bucket is getting pulled up the hill and its only a question of will it right itself or will the ass end swing around first .

It's hard to get a feel for it from the pics but tractors and diggers have a crazy low centre of gravity so for example if you anchored the bucket to something at the top of the hill then tried to drive the tractor into the ground the bucket is getting pulled up the hill and its only a question of will it right itself or will the ass end swing around first .

Speaking to another neighbour who I would regard as by a mile the best engineer I know, he reckons starting it is a no-no. Likely to have oil run up into the compression chambers and likely to do big damage trying to turn it over now.

Depends on how much rope/chain you have access too, but I'd be favoring the pylons to anchors.

You might be lucky and hook a rock with an anchor, if I know the Welsh hills :lol:

... hope you can get some photies or even a vid of this rescue Rob... :dance:

Depends on how much rope/chain you have access too, but I'd be favoring the pylons to anchors.

You might be lucky and hook a rock with an anchor, if I know the Welsh hills :lol:

Yeah. We have the national collection of rocks! It's my fence along our boundary and I had to pilot and drive in every post by hand up that slope. Might have to look at those pylons!

What ever you do don't start it until it's back on l3vel ground or you will kill it and all the hard work righting it is gone.

Back