Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HZJ75 Overland Build

Hi guys. The truck is now safely sealed in a container on its way to Namibia. But driving it to the docks fully loaded (full water and fuel tanks etc etc) I did notice that the rear end is sagging a fair bit. I'm wondering about a cheap fix to raise it a bit when I get to Namibia. Air bags would have been nice but are simply not in my budget. I've seen a few people have added coil springs between the chassis and leaf springs, to get some extra lift. Something like this, which uses 50mm tubing welded top and bottom to mount the springs...

leaf spring combo.jpg

What do you think? This looks simple and easier than adding leaves? I want to leave the original set up alone as much as possible, and just give the leafs some help. I also need a solution that a garage in Namibia will be able to carry out without too much expense. Just a couple of inches lift would help. Any comments much appreciated. Thanks

Hi Johnny,

I'm not overly keen on the coil spring between the leaves and chassis idea. :thumbdown:

Air bags would work great, or a cheaper option would be extended shackles.

http://snakeracing.com.au/store/707....html?osCsid=e1da11b44881d6f94307c3dcfc58481f

Any decent welder/fabricator could make you a set if you didnt/couldnt buy any.

I've made a few sets now, all they are are 2 plates with 2 holes in each and a spacer welded in the middle. :icon-biggrin:

Good luck with your trip. :thumbup:

Thanks Ben - genius solution! I like the look of that. I was dubious about the coil springs myself. One probably stupid question about the extended shackels - do you just need one shackle per rear wheel - ie one pair will do both rear wheels? I had at first assumed you replace both leaf mounts on each rear wheel, but after googling images it looks like you just replace the rear mount on each rear leaf, and leave the front mount untouched? If one pair for $230AUD would fix the problem, I'd be happy to go for that - if I could get them shipped to the UK in time before I fly out to Namibia (end of this month)! When you were in the UK I guess you ordered quite a bit from Oz - do you know how long postage generally took? I could then take them out with me and get them fitted there. Alternatively, do you know anyone making a trip back to the UK any time soon?! I'll contact Snake Racing about postage today. Cheers

Hi. Just to let you know we are 6,000kms into our trip in Africa, and, apart from a broken suspension shackle, have had no problems. I thought you'd like this picture - we had to rescue a 6 month old Land Rover from Moremi Game Reserve, and tow it 50km back to the main road. It had a broken oil cooler, and an electrical shutdown. Another point score for the Landcruiser!

Tonka pulling Land Rover.jpg

How have I managed to miss this thread :icon-surprised:

Nicely put together truck you have there, I just love these trucks... anyone here got one for sale?

Good to hear the trip is going well Johnny, keep us updated :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good to know all is well, and the cruiser is out doing the newer landies. No surprise there! Have an awesome adventure.

Cheers.

nice one with the landy = great photo
enjoy the trip

Hey Johnny, I'm sure I spotted your fine truck on the M25, Junction 29 heading anti clockwise at 16:20 today. The roof tent drew my attention, then I spotted the sign writing.

Are you back from your travels?

Hi Scott. Yes, that was me! You didn't take long to clock it. It had literally only been back in the country for about an hour - just rolled out of a container in Tilbury and I was on my way home in it. Alas, I have just posted it on ebay for sale... (I'll put a link on the ebay addicts page).

I thought you'd might have only just got back, it had that look of a vehicle that was returning home after a big trip. Must be sad to sell up after all your adventures, but good luck with the sale.

Back