Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I need a new universal joint........BUT...

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
..........spent all weekend spannering on Fiery & while doing so noticed some play in her rear 'UJ' :)

Just had a look @ Milners & they are only a tenner :shock: :!: :? :think: Are they OK :?: Has anyone else used them :?:

PS - Is this a competent DIY'ers fix or do you need a press :?:

PPS - Can't remember the name of the other company that simular to Milners :think: :roll: :?:

Re: I need a new universal joint..............

You just bees a vice and a big 'ammer Steve. The Milner ones do not have a fantastic reputation. I have one sitting here in my garage actually. The main issue is that you cant get to the grease nipple once they are on there. The key to doing the job in my experience is clean clean clean and clean. If you get any grit or dirt in there then the old bearing will need to be pounded out. They should knock through fairly easily. But once 'jammed' they are a devil. So use some fluid, wire brush even a tooth brush and get it clean.

Now on the better spiders... Hmm, was it Steve - Black Widow who found those? Someone did for sure No, it wasn't Steve. Try searching for Milner UJs that might have been it. Look at the other forum though.

Chris

Why not go genuine? Prices from Mr R are very good.

Just a quick one the UJ s from milners are not long lasting the ones that I have had only lasted a year about 20000 miles. So I now use toyota ones again.

Steve

andyw said:
The Milners ones should be OK, but these are also good http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=11&cid=1021
'Roughtrax's' thats what I was thinking :)

Paul said:
Why not go genuine? Prices from Mr R are very good.
I'll send him a PM :thumbup:

BlackWidow said:
Just a quick one the UJ s from milners are not long lasting the ones that I have had only lasted a year about 20000 miles. So I now use toyota ones again.

Steve
I'm only doing about 3/4000 a year so should be OK for me :think: I seem to remember that the OME ones are around £100 each :o :)

Chris said:
You just bees a vice and a big 'ammer Steve. The Milner ones do not have a fantastic reputation. I have one sitting here in my garage actually. The main issue is that you cant get to the grease nipple once they are on there. The key to doing the job in my experience is clean clean clean and clean. If you get any grit or dirt in there then the old bearing will need to be pounded out. They should knock through fairly easily. But once 'jammed' they are a devil. So use some fluid, wire brush even a tooth brush and get it clean.

Now on the better spiders... Hmm, was it Steve - Black Widow who found those? Someone did for sure No, it wasn't Steve. Try searching for Milner UJs that might have been it. Look at the other forum though.

Chris
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've just received a UJ from roughtrax and it's a toyo - OME methinks

goodoldboy said:
I've just received a UJ from roughtrax and it's a toyo - OME methinks
That's interesting :think:

I've just sent Ian a PM, so I will wait to hear back from him before making a descision :)

I got one from Milners and it was also branded Toyo.
Toyo seem to make bearings everywhere incuding India looking at the website.
http://www.toyobearings.com/
If and when I need to replace it I will fit genuine Toyota ones not the spurious.

Hi I`ve just done mine it was the rear one on the front prop but just the same I got mine from milners and it went in quite easily I had to use the vice mind which is a big old heavy duty one to press them in But it was a bit of bugger getting the old ones out as it was completely dry and absolutely kna--ered, I got a pictorial from bob murphy on the other site ;) if you look on there you`ll see my post I think its under( "Grinding /vibrating noise " ) or something like that its got a link to bobs pictures, hope thats some help

OK quick update, Ian could not help me out in the time frame that I required, so I went ahead & ordered a new UJ from Roughtrax figuring that a £15 one must be better than the £10 one from Milners :D When it arrived it was indeed a Toyo bearing (nothing to do with Toyota I suspect). I set about fitting the beast & after a little while she was in & all back together :thumbup: BUT when it came to packing it out with grease there is no way in hell one can get a grease gun on the nipple (pattern parts :roll: ). So off it all came again, stripped it down, greased it & refitted it :) The same day I had to order some parts from Milners so for a tenner I thought I'm going to have one of the UJ's from them to compare & contrast. As already mentioned it's exactly the same part as sold by Roughtrax for £15 :roll: Anyways tossed it into my spares bag & have thought nothing more about it till tonight while earthing my chassis rails viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10515 I decided to have a feel of the new UJ (the Roughtrax supplied one) & there's some detectable play in it (after only 60 miles ish) compared to the other original fit ones further along the props :o What with going up to Wales tomorrow I thinks to myself I know Just to be safe I'll wack it out & fit the one that I got from Milners no probs :thumbup: But after getting everything ready to do the job & opening up the Toyo bearing from Milners (the exact same item as also supplied by Roughtrax) there's detectable play in that toooooo straight out of the pack brand new on the bench :shock: So I just packed it away, came in & PM'd Ian again :) The Roughtrax / Milners supplied ones are good enough to carry as a spare, but I'm not so sure that they fit the bill as a replacement item :think: Not for me anyways :)

P2260354.jpg

P2260352.jpg

P2260353.jpg

P2260357.jpg

P2260356.jpg

Somethings not quite right here Steve... :think:

They are definitely not chocolate digestives... :doh:

Gav Peter said:
Somethings not quite right here Steve... :think:

They are definitely not chocolate digestives... :doh:
No I know, I'm on a diet :whistle: :) ;)

You should be bulking up for your trip to the northern wildernesses :lol: Is that this weekend?

Gav Peter said:
You should be bulking up for your trip to the northern wildernesses :lol: Is that this weekend?
Oh yes :D Leaving @ 16:00Hrs :)

Cool - have fun & lots of pics (like usual ;) ) dude :cool:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your greasing problem is to do with the oriention of the U/J spider if memory serves you have it the wrong way round. The nipple needs to be to the rear ie if you look at the 5th photo you have the joint open and the face that is showing of the UJ spider is the side that the nipple should be on.

Having said that the milner and roughtrax spiders are an arse to grease even when that way round as the nipple is not the correct angle but with a flexi hose on the grease gun and some brute force it can be done.

As for the play, I had the same and I believe that it could be to do with the 'C' clips. When my Milner spider finally gave up the ghost I went to Toyota and got the next one from them and it was then that I found out the 'C' clips are sized depending on year, model and postion of spider and indeed when I got the spider the 'C' clips had the thickness stamped on them. I have to say that I have not looked to deep into this yet as I have since found a spinning cup which may mean I have to get a new prop now.

Steve

BlackWidow said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your greasing problem is to do with the oriention of the U/J spider if memory serves you have it the wrong way round. The nipple needs to be to the rear ie if you look at the 5th photo you have the joint open and the face that is showing of the UJ spider is the side that the nipple should be on.

As for the play, I had the same and I believe that it could be to do with the 'C' clips. When my Milner spider finally gave up the ghost I went to Toyota and got the next one from them and it was then that I found out the 'C' clips are sized depending on year, model and postion of spider and indeed when I got the spider the 'C' clips had the thickness stamped on them. I have to say that I have not looked to deep into this yet as I have since found a spinning cup which may mean I have to get a new prop now.

Steve

Im glad you have said this because ive changed my uj to toyota ones but still have a bit of play and when you move the joint this is where the play is. I was asking my local mechanic the other day if you can get different thickness C clips but he shook his head.

Joe

silvercruiser said:
BlackWidow said:

Steve

Im glad you have said this because ive changed my uj to toyota ones but still have a bit of play and when you move the joint this is where the play is. I was asking my local mechanic the other day if you can get different thickness C clips but he shook his head.

Joe

Hi Joe

If you have access to TOYODIY you will find the diferent ones there.

Steve

Back