Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ideas for Lincomb

Lincomb Ideas

• - A bush Mechanic course (wonder if we can raise Greg?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • - An auto electrical course?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I thought a new thread would be good as the tug-o-war would get lost and off topic.

Along those lines but more "fairer", how about pulling a dead weight a distance and have it timed. Say the tractor tyre filled with concrete. We could have it on a level (highly sacrificial) surface and then up an incline (though safety of this one?)

How about other ideas?

Instead of towing some thing that is going to totally destroy the surface, like a tree stump, or a tractor tyre with concrete, how about roping an 80 series behind ?
Use that as the "load" to be pulled.
If that's too easy, I guess a second 80 behind that one would be more than a match for any land Cruise to tow.
That should keep the speeds down to a safe and manageable speed, say 15 mph max ?

Gra.

but that's not a load. The rolling resistance would be low, if he used brakes, that would be different between pulls and it would tear up the surface. Pulling one up an incline would be fun but if something goes bad, I would rather the tyre slide down than some poor sod's 80.

Chris Mann said:
How about how fast you can tow Trevors caravan round a course??

Now that's a idea Chris, prob get fair less damage than trevor just driving it on the road :whistle:

Sorry trev :)

That I like :lol:

How about we set up a pub in the marquee to raise club funds (amongst other things) - staffed by this lady?

a92f88a5.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Seriously though - didn't we look at stuff like bush mechanic etc. before? any chance of doing that sort of thing again? Or a proper navigation exercise / paper chase around the farm / district, or course on using MM or Jon's nav. program properly?

Pub idea looks good - my family is going to be so disappointed not to be coming to the next event :lol:

Like the pub idea, don't think the bush mechanic is going to have many customers if that goes ahead :lol:

Anything more specific than 'bush mechanic' in mind Gary? Difficult to know what might be useful across all the different models?

some kind of recovery challenge would be good. eg. recovering a stranded vehicle from a ditch/obstacle without the use of vehicle mounted winches.

Or even have teams building a bridges across obstacles and taking our trucks across. The obstacle could be two tree trunks we need to bridge across.

Or we could do the pub idea.

Obviously what ever we do needs to be non damaging to the trucks and environment, so I think we'll skip the one where we build a raft to float our trucks across the Avon :)

Bush mechanic - hmm, I guess really stuff that is sort if common - diffs, lockers, drive shafts and CVs / wheel bearings - stuff that could leave you stranded where a bit of knowledge might save the day??

Ahhh - a welding and fabricating workshop - bring your own steel and build a bumper (or trailer!!!)

:lol:

How about the lady giving the, uhem, bush mechanic's course?

I'm sure you're family will understand Andrew...

So,
- A bush Mechanic course (wonder if we can raise Greg?)
- An auto electrical course?
- A recover from difficult situation (Put the tyre into a ditch and the quickest to get it out without it touching trees etc?)
- Trevor's caravan speed trials
- Welding

I [strike:37ys913i]can turn[/strike:37ys913i] have turned this into a poll and see what the response is. Will update as ideas come in.

Gary, If Tony is there we can see (again) how to whip out a CV / drive shaft in 10 minutes flat. He does it each time.

There was some talk of an air down competition once :)

Maybe all airing down a common tyre (someones spare) from 40 to 18psi checked using a stewards common gauge, using whatever is each persons preferred method, with a time penalty of say 3 seconds for each 1psi that you end up either side of the 18psi. Starting from behind a line/stick laid parallel with the tyre, say a meter away, valve cap off ready to go with all that one needs laid on the ground behind the line/stick.

Get READY.....get SET......GO!!!

Time starts, pick up preferred air down tools from behind line/stick, air down to 18psi, shout 'DONE', clock stops, stewards inquiry :D

Looser has to blow condom up on head till it bursts........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I quite like the recovery idea too - anyone here a LANTRA or BORDA instructor or know one who'd come along and do a 'masterclass' ??

First-responder level (or similar) first aid, including the use of a defibrillator

Gary Stockton said:
I quite like the recovery idea too - anyone here a LANTRA or BORDA instructor or know one who'd come along and do a 'masterclass' ??
That's the problem I see with the recovery idea, needs to be done by someone qualified? I do have a local friend who does off-road driver training, winching etc, but how would you structure it so a single instructor was of use, if he was willing to come?

Yep - all of these sorts of 'courses' need professional input unfortunately. And are not cheap!! Unfortunate really. I'm not sure that Tony's 3rd party insurance would cover a lot of this stuff anyway, and if he tried to get more the costs may become silly. So I guess we'll have to live with what we can (safely) do ourselves :-(

Maybe we just stick to the pub? :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
Yep - all of these sorts of 'courses' need professional input unfortunately. And are not cheap!!
Well, he is a friend, so he might do it for not much more than a bit of pig roast and beer but I don't know what 'it' would be :)

Perhaps a show 'n tell - we could get various scenarios set up in the woods, according to his instructions, and then he could demo the 'right' way and the 'not right' way of recovering from them - our trucks could be the guinea-pigs, so set-up time is minimised?

Nothing extreme / damaging, just the regular sort of nonsense we're likely to encounter - off-centre pull, double-line pull, two-vehicle rigging, sideways recovery, etc.?

Back