Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ironman vs. OME (Old Man Emu) suspension kits?

OK, so my latest thoughts are something along the lines of the following:

- EFS springs front + rear (because both Ironman and OME seem to have problems with corroding/poorly finished springs, and apparently Ironman springs sag in use)
- Ironman Foam Cell shocks (because these seem to be the highest spec of the three manufacturers on offer in my budget)
- Ironman Foam Cell steering damper (same reason as above)

If it weren't for the cost I would consider a full OME setup, but I really get the impression you are paying for the name here in the UK...

Stretch to the best you can afford Mike, particularly if you are going to rely on this truck as your transport/home etc etc

Buy cheap, you buy twice

Stretch to the best you can afford Mike, particularly if you are going to rely on this truck as your transport/home etc etc

Buy cheap, you buy twice

Hi Olazz - theoretically, I could go buy the most expensive kit money could buy, or just opt for a full OME setup, however the reason I am not doing so is because I am yet to see what OME offer over EFS (or Ironman in some instances)!

The only real critiscisms of the Ironman kit seem to be the springs, many people reporting the surface finish being poor whilst others saying they are too soft for their load rating, and thus sag in use. However reading online I have generally seen nothing but good reports of the Ironman Foam Cell shocks, which at ~£360 for a set are less than both EFS Elite's (~£460) and OME Nitrocharger Sport (~£500), and just as good if not better performing! (N.B. I could actually take 1x spare front + rear shock with me and still be roughly the same as 4x OME shocks, if I was genuinely concerned about their quality...)

Which then would leave me with choosing some suitable springs, to remove the "weak link" in the Ironman chain (FYI, ~£290 for a set of B-spec front and C-spec rear springs). OME seem to suffer similar quality/finish issues, but at ~£355 are the next most cost effective option; their 2851 (F) and 2863 (R) springs would be ideally suited to my setup, I think. Alternatively, the EFS springs (of which I've heard very few complaints) come in at ~£370 a set, so are an option - I'm undecided on springs, to be honest.

Steering damper wise, it's ~£50 for EFS, ~£80 for Ironman and a frankly ridiculous £110-£125 for OME! Again, the Ironman Foam Cell steering damper looks the best spec and is reasonably priced, so seems to be the pick of the bunch.

Knackered shock in the field.....live with it until you can find a replacement .....you won't be fussy what brand and it will be whatever you can find wherever you are....anything to stop the shaking. OEM shocks may not be long enough for lifted trucks. Cheaper shocks may fail at the welds/mounting points, not just in terms of fluid leaks. Broken spring - different kettle of fish.

Also consider shocks to be supplied by different manufacturer from springs......depending on your application. Once you get down to a small number of renowned brands, rule out the cheap rubbish and debateable background ones....

My truck will have EFS springs on the rear (as they have the right lift/load rating for my truck and application, good reputation), Tough Dog shocks on rear (reputation, bore size, adjustable, affordability) and on the front OME torsion (load rating, reputation) with Tough Dog shocks......therefore agnostic.

Another person will have a different view but based on their own criteria

Hi Mike,

Been watching this thread with some interest and yes we do carry a small range of equipment from Ironman 4x4 but no suspension kits.

We have fitted Ironman foam cell shocks all round and D rated springs and Ironman steering damper.

Vehicle is fitted with roof tent,twin wheel carrier, long range fuel and water tanks, fridge and all the extras that go with overlanding.We have experienced no sagging with slight corrosion now starting to appear on the shocks.

The vehicle has covered 90,000kms going to North Africa and Europe it's been approx 70/30 split off and on road on these shocks and springs.
This is real life testing not numbers on paper.
Anyway hope this helps if you want any more info please get in touch Numbers on the website.

Kind Regards

Chris

Ahh, it was the IM stuff you had fitted when I looked at yours. Thanks for jumping in there Chris. Didn't get chance to see you at the show last week. I was busy spending my money!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm going to go with a scientific method now. I'm going to write each manufacturer name on a separate piece of paper, stand at the top of my stairs and throw them in the air. The piece of paper that lands face up on the lowest step will be the ones I buy.

:)

Starting to feel like I need a padded cell. Analysis paralysis is setting in ...

You've been in the UK too long Gary. Man up.

Anyone ever rebuilt a damper? Sounds cool, but in reality just how feasible is it at the side of the road for eg? I think the new IM ons come with a pin spanner to open them up, but do you need top up oil, seals etc?

Yep, I have rebuilt two of mine (Fox 2.0's) when I replaced the hoses connecting the remote resi's to the main body. 45min job the first time I did it. Parts/ consumables wise all you need is seals, Oil (about 500ml per shock in mine) and means to pressurise the remote reservoirs.

You would need a means of clamping them, so a small vice would be a must and then you'd need to recharge them with nitrogen. I have eyed out small Nitrogen bottles the guys use for paintball that are charged to 3000psi to keep in a small kit. You need to charge the shocks up to 200psi so a small cylinder would probably last ages. And in case of an emergency you could also use CO2 cartridges, they are charged at 900psi and would serve quite well as an option to charge the remote reservoir in an emergency situation should the need arise. The only reason nitrogen is used is due to the lack of oxygen which prevents condensation in the reservoir and its an inert gas, but then so is CO2. Note that the fox remote resi's have an internal floating piston which separates the oil from the gas. I'm not sure how its done in other shocks.

Fox is an expensive option but the tune ability, serviceability and subsequent lifespan not to mention the performance are what made them the right choice for me.

Last edited:
@Ryan, I carry one of these in the truck, together with the adapter and gauge and Schrader filler you very kindly sorted for me. Came in very handy recently.

Apologies :text-threadjacked:

Last edited:
John from Trail masters International runs a 4" kit on his 80 not the 6"

@Ryan, I carry one of these in the truck, together with the adapter and gauge and Schrader filler you very kindly sorted for me. Came in very handy recently.

Apologies :text-threadjacked:

Oooh, I didn't realise they did such small cylinders. Good find Lazz. I'll be having one one of those shortly.

"Thread hijack over, sorry!"

John from Trail masters International runs a 4" kit on his 80 not the 6"

Nope, he has a 6" lift; in fact, I have an email from him discussing suspension where he says: "I only have the 6 inch lift so I can recover cars easier and tow if needed."

Hi guys, I am no expert on suspension or anything if the truth be known but out of coincidence i purchased complete OME suspension for a FJ40 today and i got it through the guys at a company called Abril and they were really helpful. I got the lot, u bolts bushes , springs, shocks, damper, pretty go seeing as the truck is 1968, it comes in two weeks and i can post some pics when its on

Nope he defiantly has a 4" kit, I sold it to him and fitted it, and I drove his 80 series in Morocco

Nope he defiantly has a 4" kit, I sold it to him and fitted it, and I drove his 80 series in Morocco

Maybe he upgraded the springs afterwards? Either way, he thinks he has a 6" lift!

So, what did/do you think of the Ironman kit?

100% john is on a full 4" kit, I was with john and the car all weekend at Donnington 4x4 show, he runs the full 4" kit with
BF Goodrich 285-75-16 KM2's

100% john is on a full 4" kit, I was with john and the car all weekend at Donnington 4x4 show, he runs the full 4" kit with
BF Goodrich 285-75-16 KM2's

Haha, OK, you win! It does stand pretty tall though, even against my old RRS in "offroad" mode:

IMG_2721-1.JPG

So how do you find the Ironman kit, both on his 80 and your 100? Any concerns? Do you both use foam cell shocks?

John's 80 there is I think running the 2" kit witch I Carn't recall what make it was

John's 80 there is I think running the 2" kit witch I Carn't recall what make it was

That would've been August 2012, but I'm sure it was more than a 2" lift back then even?!

So how do you find the Ironman kit, both on his 80 and your 100? Any concerns? Do you both use foam cell shocks? Or foam cell pro's?

Back