Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Koni Shocks

IRLGW

Is anyone here using Koni Shocks on their 80? I'm thinking of fitting them but versus OE how do they rate. Im just looking for a reliable set of all rounder but mainly for road use. Was also thinking of fitting extended shocks with the view to a 2" lift further down the track. Has anyone used ext shocks with standard springs or does it leave the shock too near the bottom of the stroke?

Can’t comment on Koni shocks though I suspect any of the models would be good compared to tired original shocks. Most shocks listed as for a 2” lift are actually no longer than stock. So they’ll be fine.

I think in his last vid, ASPW said he'd used OME springs and Koni Raids and it had been without doubt the best ride he'd ever had.

Well there's a joke in there somewhere I guess. But I've never heard a bad thing about Konis.

You could fit extended dampers and just add to the bump stops with a spacer until you do the lift. Neat thing about the 80 is that extending the bumpers is really easy.

I’ve heard good reports on the Koni Raids, but I don’t personally have any experience using them.

Ive used Koni Raids and they are great. Was really impressed and alot more heavy duty than OME

Currently got them on the truck in the picture.... tried high end Fox's - blew one out the top and they didn't honor their warranty - so told them to sod off then and swapped them all out and binned them, put in a temp set - got some very expensive ones from USA - they were crap... went to Koni's - yep they give the best ride I've had - Note... that they don't do ones for greater than 2 inch lift (or didn't when I had mine fitted) - BUT the best ride improvement I made was stronger (thicker) anti roll bars.... but it does depend how heavy your truck is to warrant the thicker anti roll bars - and if you do fit them - beef up the front anti roll bar mounts on the front axle.. only go for the heavy duty roll bars if your truck has all the weight of front winch, front and rear steel bumper, extra tanks for fuel and two spare tyres etc etc... else just go for the medium thickness anti roll bars... my two pence worth.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have Koni 90 Raids on mine, there great.

What is the view on matching springs to Koni raid shocks for the Land crusier 80. It is sometimes said that the best is to get shocks and springs from the same manufacturer but I don't believe Koni makes springs to match their shocks (at least not easily obtainable). So what springs does well with Koni raids to get a 2 inch/5 lift with cars with no extra load, just standard weight? Thanks, Chris

Many spring suppliers offer springs in extended lengths with no additional load carrying capacity.

In the U.K. it’s probably worth checking out Pedders

Ok thanks. So the view is that any spring works? there seems to be those of the option that shocks and springs should be matched (ie. there may be bad combinations to stay away from).

I had hzj75 with koni heavy track raids in combo with ome leaf springs..
Truck drove to south africa, mongolia, tunisia, morocco....and they were still good.
They were a pleasant ride as well.

the Koni's on mine are recomended 2 to 3 inch lift max

Koni Heavy Track Raids were my top choice of shock. Unfortunately, for the 80 they do not extend enough for a lift beyond 2”. Their extended length is actually 10mm shorter than stock 80 shocks. The closest comparable shock in terms of oil volume, size and performance is the Iron Man Foam Cell Pro. They also do longer shocks more suitable for lifts over 2”.

@Chris E Koni Raids on my 80 (2" lift) and after talking to several of the overlanding guys in Australia, I matched them up with HD springs from Kings in Australia.

If I'm honest, I just looked at what some of the overland rally boys were using, and even though that's 5 years ago now, they're still going strong...... can't fault them! When you hit an unexpected hole or bump, the certainly take up the impact brilliantly.

One thing I did do, was have the fronts or rears adjusted first, (can't remember which), but I think it was fronts to accommodate the extra weight of winch and winch bumper.

Last edited:
Thanks for the useful info. And thanks Bodie, I have been thinking about getting the King springs so good to know someone paired them with Koni shocks and it worked well. I probably go for these.

Currently got them on the truck in the picture.... tried high end Fox's - blew one out the top and they didn't honor their warranty - so told them to sod off then and swapped them all out and binned them, put in a temp set - got some very expensive ones from USA - they were crap... went to Koni's - yep they give the best ride I've had - Note... that they don't do ones for greater than 2 inch lift (or didn't when I had mine fitted) - BUT the best ride improvement I made was stronger (thicker) anti roll bars.... but it does depend how heavy your truck is to warrant the thicker anti roll bars - and if you do fit them - beef up the front anti roll bar mounts on the front axle.. only go for the heavy duty roll bars if your truck has all the weight of front winch, front and rear steel bumper, extra tanks for fuel and two spare tyres etc etc... else just go for the medium thickness anti roll bars... my two pence worth.
What thickness ARBs have you got fitted?

Front Anti-Roll Bar 33mm X Heavy Duty Toyota Landcruiser 80 & 105 Series 1990-2007​

Rear Anti-Roll Bar 30mm X Heavy Duty Toyota Landcruiser 80 & 105 Series 1990-2007​

You need to ensure that the truck warrants these - ie - heavy front and rear end load... mine has the steel front bull bar, winch etc and rear two tyres and additional 160 litre tank plus.

Thanks @denboy. I currently have an aftermarket front bumper and factory winch. The rear set up is not finalised, but already have a spare on the back and will be getting extra fuel capacity. Will wait till my new springs and dampers are fitted before seeing if uprated ARBs are needed. I have a feeling that it will be beneficial.

The truck used to handle like a barge with a lot of wallowing on bends - frankly at times it scared the sh1t outa me - if I hit a bump mid bend the weight transfer was enough to seriously unsettle the truck.... if you go down the thicker ARB route - make sure you also strengthen the front roll bar mounts as well - even standard roll bars pull the mountings off the axle with heavy use. I used to do circuit racing so I knew what was wrong - I just had to find the roll bars to sort the problem. Good luck with the build.

Yes the roll is pretty bad, especially as its been lifted a couple inches, plus roof tent doesn't help either, being so high up. I had read that the mounts are not the strongest, will be beefing the mounts up.

Back