Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

landcruiser acting like a landrover...

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
MOT fail today on bad rust on chassis rails. can't believe i didnt spot this when changing exhaust the other week
suspect the hole is corrosion from inside to out on the offside..

garage is going to weld a plate on and retest in a weeks time

nearside
[attachment=1:hjorogyt]IMG_3701.JPG[/attachment:hjorogyt]

offside
[attachment=0:hjorogyt]IMG_3702.JPG[/attachment:hjorogyt]

very embarassing... i cleaned up these rails, wirebrushed and painted them in summer...

Attachments

• IMG_3701.JPG
    IMG_3701.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 647
Holy Crapolorado Batman. I have NEVER seen a cruiser looking like that. Not been launching boats have you? Wonder if that has rusted from the inside out.

Chris

winter roads in scotland, and being a skiier heading out a lot on wet salty roads hasn't helped....

i have never launched boats with it, but the colorado was 9yrs old when i got it, so who knows in past... it only got a towbar fitted when 6yrs old though
as i have receipts for that

going to be spraying stuff in the chassis rails now to try and stop it happening again and elsewhere

even Bob's (edinburgh) colorado didnt have bad chassis rust like this, although it did elsewhere on back axle etc

Jeekers, thats some tinworm!
It must be salt, because the roads here in Ireland aren't salted (potholed instead) and my 1997 chassis looks like a new one compared to that.

:shock: Ouch - bad cancer, that, Andy - sorry to see it. :cry: But it's given me impetus to do some work on the 120s chassis now ... ;)

Hope you get it sorted ok soon ... :thumbup:

been out and took the sliders off so the garage can get in their for repairs next week

definitely looks like rust from inside. there is a low point in chassis rail here, one side (nearside) seems to have a threaded hole and possibly captive nut inside chassis rail, which would not help with water getting out - silly design
why would there be a nut on inside of bottom of chassis rail there!
the other side had a hole blocked by a small stone... not sure if that has a captive nut too

no sign of any weakness/holes when i fitted sliders about a year ago...

so make sure those drainage holes arent blocked....

driving through fords hasnt helped...

rust ate the sump on our 10yr old subaru too, had to replace that last week as it was weeping oil. pain of a job to get sump on/off, had to jack engine up a bit to get to all of the bolts. it wasnt completely rusted, just a patch where the dipstick tube was brazed on

shame the colorado only has a 6yr corrosion warranty - the 120 has 12yr warranty!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That does look quite bad but as you're all the way up north it must be the salty roads that have caused it.

I make sure every year I give the underneath a few Coates of Hamerite and I have to say it still looks like brand new, but I have been doing this for the past 6/7 years now...

I have a new Nilfisk Jet Wash which came with a self propelled drain cleaner. It has a multi jet head which pulls the hose along. When you let go it really is like a rat up a drain pipe. I let it loose in my chassis rails and got quite a bit of mud and crud out. I followed it up with Dinitrol. Can't remember the type but it came with a long spray tube that went into the chassis through the various holes. It sprayed the Dinitrol 360 degs inside to coat all the box.

This stuff gets into the crevices and sets. It is not the rust converter, it's more a water displacer and sealant. Hopefully this will keep it in good nick for some years to come. Guess I am lucky that mine stood so many years avoiding at least 8 UK winters on the road.

At least that isn't a difficult repair.

Chris

I washed the chassis rails of my green 80 out once and got a bucket full of mud out of it, never got round to rust proofing it though.

Beau said:
That does look quite bad but as you're all the way up north it must be the salty roads that have caused it.

I make sure every year I give the underneath a few Coates of Hamerite and I have to say it still looks like brand new, but I have been doing this for the past 6/7 years now...

yes the salty roads are not good.

I have used hammerite paint on chassis, suspension arms, towbar. painted on last 3 years. but decided now its useless!
even with good prep work, its comes off.

going to use red oxide zinc primer and chassis enamel paint in future on outside of chassis, and other metal work

also dinitrol RC800/900 rust convertor, dinitrol 3125 in chassis and dinitrol 4941
and probably some oil engine oil in chassis too

AndyCook said:
yes the salty roads are not good.

and probably some oil engine oil in chassis too

thats why the front part of a landrover chassis will never rot with all the leaks :lol:

Joe

Apart from the bulkhead ;) They don't get up enough speed to blow any oil back onto the bulkhead to stop it rusting through.

Back