Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC80 Exhaust Query

mines 3", made a world of difference over the rotten thing that was there before, a new standard one may well have made a vast difference to but but this way you only have to pay once. I'm sure someone will mention that a 3" will make no difference as the outlet from somewhere is only 2.5"
The difference in driving it on the way there was chalk and cheese. struggling to do 80 on the way and oops i'm doing 90 on the way back.

My bad Gary has a petrol and Clive only needs a chimney :lol: I reckon your 3" still reduces backpressure Nick which can only be a good thing for turbo diesel .

Little point having 3" on an 80 unless you modify the casting at the turbo. I looked at machining one out but there's so little metal there it wasn't really feasible. You really need a custom part. 3" really isn't necessary in any case. The worst bit of the exhaust is the bend over the rear axle. Get rid of that and a 2.25" exhaust does very nicely. People do fit 3" pipes and see a tremendous improvement - but really that's because they've eliminated that axle bend.

It would be interesting to cut 1 inch of axle bend and 1 inch of straight, fill them with water and measure the volume, which will give a direct comparison of resistance. I've had flat pipes on other cars and surprisingly the volumes were almost the same. The axle bend is short c/w the rest of the pipe which in itself will have resistance.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Strange that on performance exhausts all of the exhaust pipes are smooth bends, all beautifully flowing. Never seen one with a flat in it.

Well I'm after a decent mild steel for a 24valve we have here. Milner and roughtrax only stock 12v exhausts.
Anyone know anywhere?

I'd be interested in a 3" stainless for mine too.

mines 3", made a world of difference over the rotten thing that was there before, a new standard one may well have made a vast difference to but but this way you only have to pay once. I'm sure someone will mention that a 3" will make no difference as the outlet from somewhere is only 2.5"
The difference in driving it on the way there was chalk and cheese. struggling to do 80 on the way and oops i'm doing 90 on the way back.

Looking at getting a quote soon been long on my lists other than a intercooler...lol.
Certainly SS is the way to go 3in all the way.
Be keen to experience the difference. Wonder how may hourses more you get?
Or any difference in economy?

I would pay attention to what Chris said, i'm just saying that compared to the horrible rotten thing that was on there... wow!

Nice.

I think they used to be Cobra didn't they TP?

Or this flange on its own. Mind you it doesn't say what size it is. You could always ask. Much cheaper part to get here and then give to the builder. Having the flange takes all the thinking out of it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-CT26-Turbo-Dump-Pipe-Flange-Suits-1HD-T-1HD-FT-1HD-FTE-7M-GTE-etc/122190827590?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=39829&meid=b30bbb3cfc9d4bd5ba339a3e85478bd7&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=122194329618

That was a 1959 DB4GT Chris. 150 mph/325 bhp. They had to flatten the pipes because of the ground clearance. I had a SSteel one made with round section all the way through and it didn't bottom.

They do say SSteel is noisier than mild steel as the material is stiffer.

1959? Up to minute as always Frank.
325 bhp from a 3.7 litre engine. Just think what they'd have got without having the flat section.

They tested them on the M1 when there was no speed limit. One of the cars they were going to enter in Le Mans crashed at about 180 mph. No seatbelts! The driver was shaken but not stirred.

Well that proves it then, the 70mph speed limit is due to a flat bit in the exhaust

Nice.

I think they used to be Cobra didn't they TP?

Or this flange on its own. Mind you it doesn't say what size it is. You could always ask. Much cheaper part to get here and then give to the builder. Having the flange takes all the thinking out of it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-CT26-Turbo-Dump-Pipe-Flange-Suits-1HD-T-1HD-FT-1HD-FTE-7M-GTE-etc/122190827590?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=39829&meid=b30bbb3cfc9d4bd5ba339a3e85478bd7&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=122194329618

They fitted a Cobra silencer when the built mine. The plan was to go with just the first small silencer or 'resonator' as they called it near the front of the system but it was way too loud .

If the flange fits the OE CT26 turbo then it must surely be only one size? You could then weld on an elbow outlet pipe of the size you require?

The flange would be dead easy to mill from a piece of flat steel, it's the elbow you weld to it that would take the work.

I was wondering if the new flange had that bit more meat on it TP so that it could be enlarged inside to give the 3" capacity. From memory the one I looked at modding had 3" in terms of overall volume if you will but wouldn't take a circular 3" pipe. Having a flange might give a bit more room for positioning.

Any road up, not something I'm considering so fairly academic from my position. The full part did look nice but a lot of cash. Nice thing to pop into your suitcase if you're over there.

Back