Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lets talk gearing / gear ratios

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
OK so now I've decided to go for the 255/85/16 tyres :D How's this going to effect my gearing :?:

Comeing from the Vitara community an increase in tyre diameter of this percentage over standard would have a dramatic effect on gear ratios generaly resulting in the effective lose of the use of 5th gear unless on the flat with the wind behind you :lol: The fix for this would be to change the diff ratios but as this was such an expensive option with a distinct lack of after market 5.8 R&P's available people didn't bother & just lived with the lose of 5th gear :cry: I started to play with increasing engine power to help overcome the increase in tyre diameter with very good results :thumbup: For example the V6 vit would have 4.3 R&P's & the 1.6 would have 5.125 R&P's so in my mind increasing the power of the 1.6 engine towards that of the V6 would counter the effect of the larger diameter tyres & it worked :D

So what will I notice with regards to the performance of Fiery after fittingthe larger diameter tyres :?:

What are the gearbox & R&P ratios for each model of Collie & Prado, petrol & diesel, auto & manual, LWB & SWB :?:

Is there a list somewhere that someone could post a link up for me :pray: :)

I really don't think that you want to go there. That is a mountain of work. The 90 has so much torque I think you'll be fine with the change from 31 to 33 inches.

I shall give you a ring in a bit about tonight. Been busy on the car this morning and only just come in.

C

The 90 has so much torque I think you'll be fine with the change from 31 to 33 inches.
:cool: That's good news :thumbup:

I shall give you a ring in a bit about tonight. Been busy on the car this morning and only just come in.
Just sent you another PM before reading this :oops: :) Cool I look forward to your call :thumbup:

sae70 said:
OK so now I've decided to go for the 255/85/16 tyres :D How's this going to effect my gearing :?:

Comeing from the Vitara community an increase in tyre diameter of this percentage over standard would have a dramatic effect on gear ratios generaly resulting in the effective lose of the use of 5th gear unless on the flat with the wind behind you :lol: The fix for this would be to change the diff ratios but as this was such an expensive option with a distinct lack of after market 5.8 R&P's available people didn't bother & just lived with the lose of 5th gear :cry: I started to play with increasing engine power to help overcome the increase in tyre diameter with very good results :thumbup: For example the V6 vit would have 4.3 R&P's & the 1.6 would have 5.125 R&P's so in my mind increasing the power of the 1.6 engine towards that of the V6 would counter the effect of the larger diameter tyres & it worked :D

So what will I notice with regards to the performance of Fiery after fittingthe larger diameter tyres :?:

What are the gearbox & R&P ratios for each model of Collie & Prado, petrol & diesel, auto & manual, LWB & SWB :?:

Is there a list somewhere that someone could post a link up for me :pray: :)

Toyota Prado 4x4
station wagon, 5 seats (+2), 4 doors, ABS + twin air-bag (+seat-belt pre-tensioners) optional
loa: 4730mm, width: 1730mm, height: 1865mm track: 1475mm/1480mm, grnd clearance: 230mm
turning radius: 5.7m (kerb)
weight: 1720kg - 1805kg (unladen), GVM: 2710kg, towing: 750kg (unbraked)
3.4L V6:
5VZ-FE, 3378cc, petrol, V6, efi, 4-valves/cyl, DOHC (per bank)
bore: 93.5mm, stroke: 82mm, c.r.: 9.6:1
transmission: 5m/4a, full-time 4WD, centre diff' lock
gear ratios 5m: 3.830:1, 2.062:1, 1.436:1, 1.000:1, 0.838:1 (4.22:1)
gear ratios 4a: 2.804:1, 1.531:1, 1.000:1, 0.753:1 (2.393:1)
transfer case: 1:1 (hi), 2.566:1 (lo); diff': 4.1:1 (rear LSD)2.7L 4-cyl:
3RZ-FE, 2694cc, petrol, 4-cyl, efi, 4-valves/cyl, DOHC
bore: 95.0mm, stroke: 95.0mm, c.r.: 9.5:1
diff': 4.3:1 (rear LSD)
3L turbo diesel
suspension: indep'-coil/live-coil, brakes: disc/disc
tyres: 215-80R16 (30" o.a.d.), fuel-tank: 90L (+ 69L RV6)
(GXL, VX: 265/70R16 tyres (31" o.a.d.))

i hope that i help u :thumbup:

Back