Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lincomb weekend June 7-8th

One question, just before the incident were the words "watch this" spoken?

To be fair Trevor goes hard at it and Lil' Blue is not his daily driver so i'm sure he will knock her back into shape . When the storm passed over me here at home i must admit i expected to hear of more than a few incidents like poor Trev suffered . The fact there wasn't more incidents should encourage first timers to have a go at this well organized event where ultimately the emphasis is on enjoying yourself and arriving home safe and happy :thumbup: I wonder if it was divine intervention that kept me away from Lincomb this time - caution and mechanical sympathy are not my strong points :lol:

Last edited:
Just been to the hospital with the hand for the folk that know about it. For those that don't Ive had a couple of bites. I now have a hand twice its normal size.:?
It did look nasty, hope they can get the swelling down for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery fella.

Bites? Karl I didn't hear, but you should see Stu's legs. Proper nasty.

I got bitten on the hand and it's puffed up like a good un! They were viscous.

I trapped the other hand in the High Lift. That's still throbbing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Viscous? I meant vicious.

Bites? Karl I didn't hear, but you should see Stu's legs. Proper nasty.

I got bitten on the hand and it's puffed up like a good un! They were viscous.

I trapped the other hand in the High Lift. That's still throbbing.

I got a bite on the arm as well but that's gone down now. Don't understand why the hands just getting worse.

Saw Stus legs.Never known anyone getting bites before.

Well that's a Lincomb I won't forget in a hurry. By far the worst conditions I've ever driven in on the Saturday but had enormous fun trying to get somewhere but ending up nowhere. Top job as always by Tony and the crew. Today I ventured into the woods again hoping to find a bit more grip, conditions for me at least where still a bit sticky/tricky in places but a gentle approach seemed to be working.

Quick version of events:- held Lil' Blue at the top of a hill on the footbrake while co driver was setting the winch so I could winch down to a punch, brake pedal suddenly dropped to the floor and I headed downhill backwards at an increasing pace, front slid round and I bounced off sapling 1 before burying the rear recovery eye into tree 2 and stopped broadside across the hill.

For the record, no bravado or showing off contributed to this mishap.

Bumped my noggin once but apart from being shook up for 10 mins all is well. Brake fluid in the reservoir was midway between low and full and light had been flickering a bit, the suggestion is that holding the vehicle on the brake with an uphill stance (wasn't much of one as just over the crest) may have allowed air to pass into the master cylinder and that's why the pedal dropped.

I've checked for leaks on brake lines in case I'd nicked one but looks ok so far. I have captured the event from the on board camera but not sure where to stick a 700MB movie file for your enjoyment.

Didn't take many pics but will post later, thanks to those who did the recovery and Pete/Gav/Steve and Chris for gaffa tape, window plastic and cable ties so I could patch it up to get home.

Last edited:
Parking the 120 on arrival I think set the tone for the conditions to come.
DF9D35FF-26D6-47F0-ADBB-211A96BFA565_zpsxvg56ezg.jpg

6548A864-8CAB-49CD-9152-0406040B3DCB_zpshtsncqrw.jpg

75E94C99-C8BE-4DB4-8B8E-C69316E33F5C_zpsklq4vecv.jpg

1210560A-EF52-49F4-9E8D-9354DF1D0C69_zpskok9sq9d.jpg

A8695C17-B26B-4355-AC9F-77E6DD7F552A_zpsn1m5y8ba.jpg

Not quite Russ Swift but a good attempt at his parking style.

7DFED5CD-950C-4BEC-B5F5-BF55FA1053EA_zpsgyjzgmdv.jpg

656FB018-3704-4B6C-8C6C-0E1EE22D38F1_zpsozsitgay.jpg

B81A2A72-0241-4F7E-A05F-05FC2625A55D_zpsnj3k8zvw.jpg

49F6CD73-C308-4DFC-9155-B358203FBA70_zpsob2su3pe.jpg

664A7898-76B7-4779-B640-3459FCDB012B_zpsnwia0kjs.jpg

D18E5DF3-A8F7-4898-9114-F8BD13ADE7E0_zpsmcsbrl1o.jpg

A381E0E4-1EDC-4FAD-A80F-B03D6CF4F491_zpsoc55uay8.jpg

Get me home lash up

ACF9680A-BBC5-45CD-8AA3-338F18AAF6FB_zpsrximb0r9.jpg

The spare screen stuff I got of Steve performed perfectly all the way home at motorway speeds

DACAB025-987D-41D3-B689-C3C820F6021C_zps4pighfhk.jpg

The impact had pulled one of the connectors apart, when I put it back together I couldn't get over that the all the lights still worked on the right hand side

38F02486-B8E7-4011-AEAA-C743FF4BC87E_zpsqa8sb5x2.jpg

By my rudimentary counting skills, the whole incident from start to finish was 6 seconds. Now that is blooming scary, in that time I had realised I had no control over the situation and had computed about 4 scenarios of how it was going to go.The Brain is awesome under stress conditions and I had accepted that severe injury was the most likely outcome, at the end of the vid, tilt your head so the trees are vertical and that should give you an idea of the gradient. I make no apologies for the girly panic in my voice, I was a panicky Jessie when it all unfolded.

For all you winch b*****s out there, Look how Tom was 2 seconds away after dropping the hook from being potentially dragged down the hill after me. Keep your guard up at all times peoples, it really can go to ratshit in a moment.

I've run this vid back many times and in conclusion it was my fault for not dealing with the intermittent warning light I had for low brake fluid, I didn't understand and appreciate the potential failure under certain conditions that the braking system can suffer for a few milliliitres of fluid - stupid stupid stupid and yet I've done this same style of driving hundreds of times before, I believe complacency bit me in the bum this time.

The crash (NOT family friendly - repetitive swearing) http://youtu.be/BN-eSTApioA

Last edited:
Thanks for a great weekend all.

Had a bit of a interesting trip home i will say.

Driving along 70mph allof a sudden a 6cars car in fronts roof rack came off!!! not much of a bother but the canadain canoe that was attached to it took up alot of room as it was flying about the 3 lanes. cant belive that nobody hit it, finished up in the middle and outside lane so there was no way i was going to stop and help reattach that.
I also did take a pictures as i was to busy avoiding everything else.

I have a couple of photos from the weekend of the mog and grant the few i took of chris were crap. i will get them on later.

stu.

Crikey Trevor, that could have been so much worse. I winched down and back up and remember thinking Jeez, if my rope broke now... That sideways spin did something to stop you I think before you go to the tree root slide at the very bottom.

Of course the lights worked. Remember who built it.

Thanks you everyone involved in the organisation of the weekend. For me it was a very nice change to actually take part.

The Mog went very well and drove things that I think every one else winched. I was expecting some kind of Mog penalty on my score but halving it was a little harsh :violin: Even with my halved score I still came 4th which is pretty good in my book. I guess it would have looked bad if an Isuzu and a Merc topped the scoreboard at a Toyota event :laughing-rolling:

I only had one spot of bother and that was after the event while playing in the clay pit by the river. Chris (green 90) got well and truly stuck towards the end of the run and it took Mike (and family) along with the Mog a good while to get him out. Mike then went round the hole Chris had left, all well and good. I then put the Mog straight through the hole and came out OK, got cocky and turned round to come back the other way. That is when it all went wrong. A good hard pull from the Isuzu winch brought the front of the Mog round to the direction it needed to be and all was good again. I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures of the Isuzu rescuing the Mog :lol:

Last edited:
Just watched the vid Trev and i would say you should be grateful to the tree for halting your descent , had it been a little further away your speed would have increased enough for you to bounce off it and i don't even want to speculate how that might have ended .

That was an Epic weekend! Thank you to all who were involved in the organising and keeping me moving. Obviously made up to take 1st... especially in a vehicle that Total Off Road mag have twice slated as one of the 10 worst 4x4's built!... does that make my Isuzu better than an LC?

Hands down best bit was playing around the 'Mog, that thing is incredible and it was a true honour to have it on the end of my winch rope:bow-yellow:.

Top marks Trev for the best damage of the weekend, as said could've been much worse... at least metal can be bent and beaten back to shape.

Well done Mike, it would be too easy for you in a Landcruiser :whistle:

Hi all :) Got back around 8:45 last night, stopped at McDonalds en-route for dinner as promised to the boys. After showering them and getting them to bed and then unloading the truck and showering myself I could hardly stand and went straight to bed! I know that I had a great time and could tell that Rob & Dan had also from the fixed no responsive stare that they both had at breakfast this morning and thank all that were involved in making our weekend such fun :) :thumbup: Not just the organizers, but everyone who comes along as it wouldn't be a weekend without all of the different characters, yarns and differences of technical opinion that we all bring to the mix. Another epic one for me and the boys, thank you :icon-biggrin:

Congratulations to Mike on his long awaited win :)

Trevor, the experience of rolling backwards was clearly more terrifying than you recounted immediately following the event as you said that you repeated the words and I quote 'OH S417, OH S417, OH S417!!!!' several times, but according to the video evidence you appeared to have used a far more expressive term! Could have been far worse m8 and is another feather to stick into the cap of experiences not to be repeated I shouldn't wonder! I'd never heard of brake failure due to the angle of the vehicle and the level of the oil in the master cylinder and shall keep a close eye on this one in the future myself. Hope you get Lil-Blue all straight again without to much pain :)

I'd also like to thank Ian for letting me drive the Unimog around the campsite at last noggins on Sunday with the boys as passengers :) :thumbup: They were over the moon to have been in it and I have to say that secretly I to am very happy to able to say now that 'Yea I've driven a Unimog' :icon-biggrin: Thank you. Trouble is that something was lost in the conversation between Daniel and his sister about the experience and she now thinks that I drove a Unicorn :laughing-rolling: She had just got back from Pepa Pig World mind :icon-biggrin:

Thanks all again :icon-biggrin: :thumbup:

When is the next one then :icon-question: :icon-smile: :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Back