Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

ModelMakerMan said:
Id keep an eye on those new bearings as from what Ive heard bearings from Milner have not had glowing reviews
Ben has nothing to worry about, as the bearings Milner supplied are identical to OEM. I know Milner used to supply different bearings, lets hope they continue to supply Koyo bearings.

Rob said:
ModelMakerMan said:
Id keep an eye on those new bearings as from what Ive heard bearings from Milner have not had glowing reviews
Ben has nothing to worry about, as the bearings Milner supplied are identical to OEM. I know Milner used to supply different bearings, lets hope they continue to supply Koyo bearings.

That is good news, looks like they finally listened to the complaints and changed suppliers. :thumbup:

No. They just changed suppliers. I has nothing to do with listening I can assure you. :roll:

Chris

got the compressor installed today. :dance:

followed all the instructions, which were very easy to understand.

PICT0003-2.jpg

PICT0004-2.jpg

i removed the headlight washer reservoir when i stripped it down and rebuilt it, and i decided not to bother re-fitting it. this looked like the perfect place for the compressor.

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0002-1.jpg

i decided to remove one of the batteries to make it easier to get in with the drill to drill through the inner wing, to attach the mounting plate.

PICT0005-2.jpg

marked where it needed to be.

PICT0006-2.jpg

while i drilled the holes i used a telescopic magnet to help capture most of the swarf.

PICT0007-1.jpg

all bolted in.

PICT0008-2.jpg

battery back in.

PICT0009-2.jpg

fitted the air line next.

PICT0010-2.jpg

PICT0011-2.jpg

connected it to the compressor.

PICT0012-2.jpg

next i needed to wire it all up.

PICT0013-2.jpg

used scotch locks to connect my 2 new wires to the cigarette lighter wires.

PICT0014-2.jpg

the 2 wires wernt quite long enough, so i had to splice 2 new wires into the new ARB loom.

PICT0015-1.jpg

PICT0016-2.jpg

next i used a piece of wire and duck tape to get the wires through the bulkhead.

PICT0018-1.jpg

once the wires were through the bulkhead, the wires pushed straight into the plastic connector block.

PICT0020-1.jpg

got the switches fitted.
the front locker switch will be in the switch blank nearest the front of the truck, then the compressor switch, then the rear locker switch, and one more blank at the back, not sure what will go there yet. possibly an electric fan switch, if i do away with the viscous fan on the new engine.

PICT0022-1.jpg

illuminated.

PICT0025-1.jpg

stuck the ARB warning sticker on the glove box.

PICT0023-1.jpg

just need my diff back from devon 4x4 now and then i will have a working rear locker. :pray:

:evil: Errmmm, wheres our laning pics for the week???

Slacker :p

Concentrating on defending your Crown next weekend eh... :mrgreen:

:cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1 minute you moan that im not making much progress on the truck cos im out laning. now your moaning that ive not been out laning taking pics. just no pleasing some people! :lol:

will have to wait and see how it goes mate, but i have now got better tyres and hopefully a rear locker. ;)

lets hope no trees jump out in front of/behind either of us this time. :lol:

Scotchlock???

Work of the Devil. Ben, you disappoint me. :naughty:

Chris

sorry Chris. :oops:

i did make sure the wires were nice and secure and then cover the scotchlocks in plenty of electrical tape. :)

Chris said:
Scotchlock???

I was thinking exactly the same! :thumbdown:

Ben I think you should skip buying a front locker and spend the money on a decent camera haha! :p

Electrical Tape?!?!?

OMG I think I'm going to feint. :shock:

Chris

EDIT. I think that the camera is in focus, it's Ben that isn't. Still nursing a hangover there buddy?

I'm sure you have a plan for this Ben but are you going to relocate the air intake for the compressor? Those compressors are water proof but only if they're not trying to pump water ;)

well i did think about it when i read the instructions, but it says not to run it into the snorkel as the engine pressure can effect it.
any suggestions? :think:

i doubt i will be using it while the bonnet is underwater, but i guess if ive been through deep water, and then turn it on afterwards the air filter could be wet still. :thumbdown:

ModelMakerMan said:
Chris said:
Scotchlock???

I was thinking exactly the same! :thumbdown:

Ben I think you should skip buying a front locker and spend the money on a decent camera haha! :p

definitely need a new camera. mine broke a few weeks ago, and the old one im using takes really shit photos. :thumbdown:

Snorkel doesn't seem ideal to me either, at best it creates negative pressure. In deep enough water the filter saturates and the intake fills with water :( I ended up moving mine from a similar spot to yours into the boot behind a panel because that seemed simpler than finding somewhere high up and sheltered from the rain to put that filter. My diff breather pipe terminates in a U shape behind the head of my snorkel but that wouldn't really work for the ARB intake.

how about if i piped the intake through the bulkhead and into the cab some where?

i know its not a good idea to do snorkels like that. but the air intake on a compressor should be ok shouldnt it? :)

Why does it need to be in the engine bay at all, Ben? Other than the fact that it's now mounted there? :mrgreen:
It's subject to heat, vibration and foreign matter (dust and/or water) - none of these are things that a compressor enjoys. It doesn't draw enough power to make the length of cabling an issue. Somewhere inside the cab sounds like a winner to me :thumbup:

That should work well enough Ben, just keep it up high in case the water is really deep and you have to let it in to get the truck to sink a bit :lol: One reason not to put the compressor inside the truck Andrew is that it seems some ARB installs blow oil up the air pipe and out the solenoid on the pump which could get messy and smelly. I don't have that problem which I like to think is because I put locker seals together correctly but maybe I just got lucky :think:

i know what your saying Andrew, but the compressor is meant to be sealed against dust. the main reason i wanted it in the engine bay as opposed to the cabin, is that its a bit noisy when it fires up.
i think i will pipe it through into the cabin and then up to the roof. :thumbup:

John i completely forgot about the technique of opening the doors if the truck starts floating when it happened to me on strata a few weeks ago.
if id have thought of it at the time, id probably still be trying to dry the inside of the truck out now. :lol:

got back from work today and found a little pallet waiting for me.

PICT0001-2.jpg

PICT0003-4.jpg

my diff with the new locker fitted.

PICT0004-3.jpg

PICT0005-3.jpg

old LSD ready to be sold on.

PICT0006-3.jpg

picked up some oil and RTV sealant today.

PICT0008-3.jpg

got the diff in the vice.

PICT0009-3.jpg

cleaned up the mating face of the diff and got it nice and clean.

PICT0010-3.jpg

did the same on the axle and then gave it a good coat of RTV.

PICT0011-3.jpg

very carefully lying on my back i managed to lift the diff up and in place.

PICT0012-3.jpg

one half shaft in.

PICT0013-3.jpg

other side in.

PICT0014-3.jpg

connected the air line.

PICT0016-3.jpg

stuck just under 2litres of oil in.

PICT0017-2.jpg

reconnected the brake lines, and bled the brakes. then wheels back on and out to test it.

tried driving up some very steep banks, and got completely cross axled and had wheels spinning. flicked the switch and had instant traction and drive. i then proceeded to drive straight up, with the bonnet pointing straight up in the sky!
such a great feeling, and cant wait to now drive what i would previously have to winch up!

no pics as it was 9.30pm and dark by this point. :thumbup:

might get the front one next month. :dance:

Grrr Totally Bad Ass.

Oh and so nearly in focus too. ;)

Chris

Back