Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Bluddy hell Ben... They call it panache in some circles & you have in spades man... :p

Hope you get it sorted out quickly & easily.

Don't forget your revision time though... :ugeek:

thanks guys. :thumbup:

definetly engine oil as its black, and was dripping off the bottom pulley. :think:

im pretty sure it wasnt leaking before i got stuck in the muddy wet hole. i was giving the engine and gearbox a fair amount of abuse as i was franticly trying to get out of the deep water i was stuck in, and was very heavy on the loud pedal and slamming it from 1st to reverse and back, as quick as i could. :roll:

just removed the electric fan and jet washes the engine and engine bay.

good news is its not leaking from anywhere near the cambelt so im hopeful thats unaffected. :pray:

looking at it it can only be leaking from the oil seal behind the bottom pulley on the front of the engine block. :)

need to find the part number and order a new seal, going to go genuine on this as i think for the extra cost its worth it, as id hate to kill what is a rare and expensive engine. :thumbup:

dont know what to do about Lincomb, i really want to come, but my english exams are more important. so revising is more of a priority that fixing the truck. :?

I feel for you Ben, lots of people would give up and play golf!

I have to admit I found I didn't like lockers as you get deeper in before you get stuck!......

Mud and crud on oil seals genuine or not = them wearing out or failing quickly

My local pay and play site is a night mare for aggressive gritty claggy mud, Ive done a couple of challenges there and usually have to replace lots of bits like oil seals alternators power steering pumps.....

hope you get it sorted OK Ben

must admit i am getting a bit on edge after 4 days laning on the trot
2 days in lakes, a day in dales and derbyshire today
Hollinsclough really scared me and the landcruiser!!....

Sorry to hear you're having more troubles again Ben :shock:

Didn't we drive that 'lane last time you led us round Shropshire? :shifty: :lol:

Perhaps we'd better give it a miss next weekend? :pray:

Dave ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I feel very sorry for you Ben after all the effort you've put in :( but once your studies are out of the way you'll be as happy as a pig in whatsit, up to your elbows in grease and grime, and as they say 'if you don't break it you can't fix it' :lol:

After working on my truck last weekend I've decided I'm never going to drive through mud again. Ever. Ever! :)

Just seen the video Ben, looks challenging that lane especially with an oil leak fuel starvation and a flat tyre ! Know how you feel though having to limp a truck home due to plenty of off roading abuse then having to spend hours getting it back to its form of glory. Hope you sort it soon though mate !

Checked Daves blog out the other day too, some good pics/videos... :thumbup: Cant wait to get out laning again soon.

jeepmadmike said:
I feel for you Ben, lots of people would give up and play golf!

I have to admit I found I didn't like lockers as you get deeper in before you get stuck!......

Mud and crud on oil seals genuine or not = them wearing out or failing quickly

My local pay and play site is a night mare for aggressive gritty claggy mud, Ive done a couple of challenges there and usually have to replace lots of bits like oil seals alternators power steering pumps.....

golf! :shock: :thumbdown:

the giving up bit is tempting, but.............ive gone too far and spent far too much money to give up now. :think:

+ im not a quitter! :twisted:

im really not a fan of pay n play's, they just seem to destroy vehicles, and after a few hours i get bored anyway. :)

adrianr said:
Good luck fella - know you'll sort it.

Horrible stuff is mud

thanks mate. :thumbup:

AndyCook said:
hope you get it sorted OK Ben

must admit i am getting a bit on edge after 4 days laning on the trot
2 days in lakes, a day in dales and derbyshire today
Hollinsclough really scared me and the landcruiser!!....

thanks Andy. :thumbup:

ive been followig your thread with great interest, sounds like a great trip. :clap:

Hollinsclough is what ripped my back bumper off last time. :thumbdown:

k9rdj said:
Sorry to hear you're having more troubles again Ben :shock:

Didn't we drive that 'lane last time you led us round Shropshire? :shifty: :lol:

Perhaps we'd better give it a miss next weekend? :pray:

Dave ;)

thanks Dave. :thumbup:

yes we drove it, and it was a state then. :thumbdown:

i dont normally drive it anymore, because its just a mess. :roll: i never intended on driving it, but as we were passing i thought id show the lad who was with me, what is Shropshires muddiest lane. :)

he said go on i want to see you drive it, and i guess i didnt need asking twice. :oops:

wont be doing it on your trip down to Shropshire mate. :)

found a few other interesting lanes though that i might include. :dance:

Cossack said:
I feel very sorry for you Ben after all the effort you've put in :( but once your studies are out of the way you'll be as happy as a pig in whatsit, up to your elbows in grease and grime, and as they say 'if you don't break it you can't fix it' :lol:

thanks Chas. :thumbup:

feeling quite positive about my exams, and will be happy once there done and passed! :D

just medicals and police checks and i should be ready submit the final visa application. :pray:

up to my elbows in grease and grime. :think:

i dont actually enjoy that. in fact if im honest i dont enjoy working on my truck! :thumbdown:

i like making bits for it like bumpers, drawers, rock sliders etc. but spending 5 hours stripping and re-building a front axle, or changing a rear wheel bearing really isnt my idea of fun. :lol:

fridayman said:
After working on my truck last weekend I've decided I'm never going to drive through mud again. Ever. Ever! :)

:lol:

i dont mind mud too much, its clay that i hate. :thumbdown:

Shaun said:
Just seen the video Ben, looks challenging that lane especially with an oil leak fuel starvation and a flat tyre ! Know how you feel though having to limp a truck home due to plenty of off roading abuse then having to spend hours getting it back to its form of glory. Hope you sort it soon though mate !

Shaun said:
Checked Daves blog out the other day too, some good pics/videos... :thumbup: Cant wait to get out laning again soon.

thanks Shaun. :thumbup:

Dave's (K9RDJ's) blogs are always a great read! :clap:

im up your way monday night, staying in a B&B ready for my carpentry assessment on tuesday.

would love to call in and see your [strike:3j0r2v41]cruiser scrap yard[/strike:3j0r2v41] collection of interesting 70's! :lol: :thumbup:

ive been ridiculously busy the past week or so. to the point of getting up every day at 6am and getting home to have my dinner at 10pm. :thumbdown:

for this reason ive not had any time to resize, upload, and post any pics. so this thread might suddenly become a bit disjointed. :roll:

oh well......................

update time. :cool:

so Saturday just gone, i drove to Karls and bought a replacement panhard rod, and then went to milners and bought a 3rd new set of front panhardrod bushes, which turned out to be super pro ones. i also got some new track rod ends, but more on that later.

i knew my panhard rod was a little bent, but it was now a bit more bent, maybe due to the ratchet strap. :?

P5050001.jpg

old one off, and compared to the new one.

P5050005.jpg

the chassis side of the old panhard rod bush, looked like this. :thumbdown:

P5050006.jpg

so 2 new sets of panhard rod bushes have been fitted, and these did initially seem to fix the death wobble. :think:

but then it came back. :thumbdown:

so what im now thinking is.................................

im going to fit new track rod ends, as i couldnt get it tracked when i tried, because the old ones are seized solid inside the bar, and there a little bit worn anyway. im then going to get it tracked.

im wondering whether if the tracking is a bit out, then that is causing the big heavy tyres to start to shake, and that shaking is then wearing the new bushes out, until theyve then got excessive movement in them, and then the death wobble takes over every time i drive it. :think:

so new panhard rod fitted, i turned my attention to the leaking axle.
the axle wasnt leaking before i stripped it down and fitted the locker, but it was afterwards, despite me being very careful when pulling and pushing the half shafts in and out. :thumbdown:

P5050009.jpg

stripped it all down.

P5050010.jpg

P5050011.jpg

decided after removing the oil seal on the other side was a bit tricky, that id knock a quick tool up to make the job a bit easier. :cool:

this is what i came up with.

P5050012.jpg

P5050014.jpg

so i push it inside the seal, and then turn the 2 13mm nuts in opposite directions, which spreads the legs on the puller. once thats done i can then use a hammer to tap the other end which should pull the seal out. :dance:

P5050015.jpg

worked quite well, but the seal still came out in bits.

P5050016.jpg

P5050017.jpg

all done.

P5050018.jpg

or so i thought. :roll:

found it leaked almost immediately. :thumbdown:

despite me doing the job properly and carefully fitting the new seal. :doh:

milners will be having the other 2 seals i brought back, and hopefully also be giving me the money back for the seal ive fitted which immediately leaked. :naughty:

im going to get some genuine ones and take the milners ones back and show them that they arnt anything like the genuine ones. the milners ones are just black rubber with made in the uk stamped on them. the genuine ones have a metal ring around them. :)

so that was Saturday and my truck was back together. :cool:

Sunday was spent trying to revise for English exams, but i did end up speaking to my girlfriend for 5 hours on skype first. :oops:

so bank holiday monday was laning time! :dance:

the plan was to go laning and driving some south Shropshire lanes that ive not driven for a few years, as a bit of a reconnaissance trip, to see which lanes are worth including in a trip im leading in a few weeks. :thumbup:

drove a few lanes ive not driven before, and some that didnt look like theyve been driven for a long time.

P5070022.jpg

P5070023.jpg

P5070024.jpg

P5070025.jpg

P5070026.jpg

P5070027.jpg

P5070028.jpg

P5070029.jpg

i love this little ford on a byway.

P5070031.jpg

P5070033.jpg

had a load of horses aproach on one of the lanes that crosses a field.

P5070034.jpg

had to quickly shut the gate once i was through, and then i had to shoe them out of the way so the other lad could get his nissan through. :)

P5070035.jpg

this would be a bloody great lane if there wasnt an oil/gas pipe line 5ft above the lane. :(

P5070037.jpg

P5070039.jpg

motorbikes can still use it but not 4x4's :thumbdown:

shame as theres a lovely ford at a few hundred meters past the pipe line. god knows how permission was ever granted to lay a pipe line at that height above a byway. :doh:

would be nice to go down there with a digger and dig the byway a few feet lower beneath the pipes! :twisted:

this was the last pic before my camera battery died. :doh:

so unfortunately no pics of my truck being the most stuck its ever been, with a foot of water in the drivers foot well. :roll:

P5070038.jpg

so my mate in the Nissan towed my truck the 30 miles to my mates house. i then went and did a carpentry job with him that wed arranged to do, and then at 10pm once wed finished working he towed my truck back to mine.

i really didnt want to go work, but couldnt turn down hundred quid cash for a few hours work. :thumbup:

so last night i jet washed the inside of the truck out. the joys of having no carpets, means the rubber bungs in the floor pan can be popped out and the inside of the truck hosed out! :dance:

P5080045.jpg

jet washed the engine and engine bay as it was covered in a thick layer of clay, and also removed the electric fan. :thumbdown:

P5080040.jpg

so the top pulley, is bolted to the water pump and used to have the viscous fan mounted to it. the pulley below it is where the oil was dripping from.

P5080041.jpg

so this morning i was out working on my truck at 6am. :cool:

i need to remove the bottom pulley to get to the oil seal behind it.

P5090001.jpg

so ratchet with extension tube on, wedged against the chassis, and a quick turn of the ignition key, and the bolt was loose! :clap:

P5090002.jpg

bolt off followed by alternator belts.

P5090003.jpg

couldnt quite get my puller in to remove the pulley. :thumbdown:

P5090005.jpg

going to have to take the rad out to give me the room. :(

decided to remove the cambelt cover to inspect the belt.

all looks good and no sign of oil. :dance:

P5090004.jpg

it looked like was going to be a nice day.

P5090007.jpg

so decided to leave all the doors open when i went to work at 7.20am, to hopefully dry the inside out a bit.

P5090006.jpg

i had to race home at dinner time to close all the doors as by now the sky was very cloudy. :lol:

good job as its been raining all afternoon. :thumbdown:

oh well we havnt had much rain lately. :liar:

ordered a new seal from toyota today, should be here tomorrow. :thumbup:

so once ive fitted the new seal and done an oil change, still need to fix the death wobble and electrical problem(s). :)

time for a beer i think! :violin:

I'm running out of things to say in all honesty dude - 24-7 not even close to you is it :clap:

Epic work
nice one with that diy seal puller tool

thanks guys. :thumbup:

i find there just isnt enough hours in the day to get everything done, that i want to get done. :doh:

havnt had chance to do anymore on the brit-pig yet. :thumbdown:

decided to brave the rain. :roll:

P5090001-2.jpg

drained the rad.

P5090012.jpg

it really wasnt much fun lying on the gravel under the truck, in the rain, with water dripping off the truck into my ears, eyes and face! :roll:

fortunately im not the sort of man to complain! :lol:

dirty rad out.

P5090013.jpg

gave me a much better view and much more room.

P5090014-1.jpg

P5090015.jpg

pulley came off very easily with the puller.

P5090016.jpg

quite a bit of oil on the back of it.

P5090017.jpg

P5090018.jpg

gave it a clean with a rag and engine de-greaser.

P5090019.jpg

so thats the seal that has failed and dripped oil every where.

P5090020.jpg

im hopeful i can change it from this side, without having to strip anymore of the engine down. :pray:

P5090021.jpg

time for dinner now! :animals-cow:

I like the rug you use :)
i use one like that which motherinlaw gave the wife,
but once she visited and spied it rolled up in garage with oil on it
i was on big trouble :evil: :cry: :cry:

:lol:

my mum often reminds me that she still wanted that rug, and just because it was in the garage gathering dust, that didnt mean i could use it for working on my truck and get it covered in oil. :roll:

at this point i usually tell her its a hideous rug, and why on earth would you want it in the house! :roll: :lol:

I will take pic of my hideous rug sometime. My argument was they are very robust and perfect for lying on under truck

Ha! I was talking about that rug just this morning :lol: It's getting famous :lol:

Back