Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Use a real hot flame around the bolt/nut and it should then come off. We did this on my mates 13bt.

Chris said:
Ben, other alternative is - just run one belt like you are doing. Keep a spare in the tuck if you must, but what is this deal with double belts anyway? Millions of cars have only one belt. It's a diesel anyway so if the belt went you can still drive to a point where you can change it out. Matching the belts is a pain in the ass anyway.

Chris

The belt also drives the water pump, so you can't just drive to point where you can change it. Ben might be stuck in traffic and to just get out to change a belt will create problems for other drivers.

Toyota fitted two belts for a reason. It makes for a more reliable system, especially as Ben has fitted an alternator with nearly twice the output, which will require nearly twice the power to drive it. When you buy a new belt, you buy two from the same manufacturer. Doing it this way will ensure they are matched. It's a simple job to check the length in the shop anyway.

I would suggest Ben uses a "Windy Gun" to remove the old pulley plus a call to the supplier for info on pulley sizes would be the next job.

Roger

Ben said:
54 bloody pounds (with discount)! :shock: :thumbdown:
The seals are the same as an 80, I've got a few of those I could have let you have cheap ;)

I just hope theres still filler and paint left on the truck after this weekend, after Brett has led me down more tight, scratchy, narrow lanes. i remember last time i went laning with him in the lakes.

Oh yes Ben!

We'll be doing the lovley TIGHT lane by Skelwith Bridge, where you wobbled over theCB about potential body damage last time -- of course you could alway stay at the bottom of the lane, and we'll loop around and collect you from the start :lol:

And I'm sure we'll find some Rocks to crawl over at Nibthwaite, Grizedale, Staveley, Sadgill ... I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, and dont forget our next trip to P-116 where of course we'll be doing my fav tight lane at Bont-y-Gwyddel :o .... and some of the 'unused' lanes i know for a fact are very scratchy and tight (oh, do i love the word tight) !!

Maverick said:
I just hope theres still filler and paint left on the truck after this weekend, after Brett has led me down more tight, scratchy, narrow lanes. i remember last time i went laning with him in the lakes.

Oh yes Ben!

We'll be doing the lovley TIGHT lane by Skelwith Bridge, where you wobbled over theCB about potential body damage last time -- of course you could alway stay at the bottom of the lane, and we'll loop around and collect you from the start :lol:

And I'm sure we'll find some Rocks to crawl over at Nibthwaite, Grizedale, Staveley, Sadgill ... I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, and dont forget our next trip to P-116 where of course we'll be doing my fav tight lane at Bont-y-Gwyddel :o .... and some of the 'unused' lanes i know for a fact are very scratchy and tight (oh, do i love the word tight) !!

Have you ever thought about seeing a shrink?

( Shrink!!---getting smaller!!---tight!! get it!!, oh all right, I'll get my coat)

Roger

I am struggling to remember when I last had a fan belt break. Or ever in actual fact. Landcruisers - the only vehicle ever made that needs two belts? Well, fancy. Shame there isn't a way to convert it to a proper toothed flat belt.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris.

The drive to the alternator and water pump requires friction between the belt and the pulleys. If you increase the power needed to drive the alternator by increasing the ultimate output the alternator can develop, you need to increase that friction to cope. This means a tighter belt and that means extra loading on the bearings in the pump and alternator and reduced belt life.

At the end of the day, costs are the world of the accountant, and if savings can be made by adding another simple belt and using pressed steel pulleys as against machined pulleys and a notched belt, the accountants will win the day.

Personally, I agree with you, a notched belt, which does not need friction to operate, would be a better bet, but until someone makes a conversion kit, two belts are better than one.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I understand this stuff after 30 years of working on cars, I just don't necessarily buy it. My questioning was not for a lack of knowledge. It's a lack of belief my friend.

Just because the alternator can produce 120 amps, it doesn't mean it will. Certainly not all the time. I find the twin belt system a PITA. I buy genuine belts and before very long one will be slacker than the other. It happens every time. Maybe if you don't off road them it doesn't happen, but I find they stay matched for about 5 mins. And yes I do know how to tension them. I think that the outer belt is the problem. If there is any wear at all on your bearings etc, then the outer belt will see that more then the inner belt due to the distance from the bearing. I think that Mr T was just building in a safety feature - one snaps here is another still on there. I don't think that they were put on there because it NEEDS two belts to run properly. It's typical Toyota over-engineering.

Chris

Roger, Chris, you both make some very good points. :think:

ive managed to get the old pulley off, so i wil have a go at fitting it at some point, but for now im going to just run with the one belt, and keep the other in the truck as a spare. :thumbup:

ovoxo said:
Use a real hot flame around the bolt/nut and it should then come off. We did this on my mates 13bt.

trouble was it rounded off, and there was no room to get any mole grips in. :thumbdown:

need to get some of those Irwin damaged bolt/nut removers i think. :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Ben said:
54 bloody pounds (with discount)! :shock: :thumbdown:
The seals are the same as an 80, I've got a few of those I could have let you have cheap ;)

:doh:

wish id known that. :)

Maverick said:

Oh yes Ben!

well so long as the trees havnt grown any thicker, and that wall hasnt subsided anymore then i should be ok. :pray:

you do find some great lanes, but i think some of them are certainly more suzuki friendly than landcruiser friendly. :lol:

Ben. Get the Irwins. No debate. But not sure that they would have been big enough for this job.

Chris

it wasnt the big 19mm nut that i couldnt get off, theres a small 10mm headed bolt that locks the big nut in place, and its this that i couldnt get out. :thumbup:

will be a bit clearer in a min when i get some pics up. ;)

so i left the batteries on charge over night.

SAM_0367.jpg

SAM_0368.jpg

fired her up this morning, all the warning lights went out on the dash, and the volt meter shot straight up. :dance:

SAM_0374.jpg

SAM_0375.jpg

SAM_0376.jpg

nice healthy reading at the batteries. :clap:

SAM_0373.jpg

the battery terminals i recently bought turned out to be complete crap! :thumbdown:

so i took them off this evening.

SAM_0369.jpg

they were bent, cracked in places, and wouldnt clamp around the terminals tightly. :(

SAM_0370.jpg

new heavy duty terminals. :D

SAM_0372.jpg

they seem a lot better. :clap:

decided to fit the new washer jets, and discovered they wont fit through the holes in the bonnet. :doh:

SAM_0378.jpg

SAM_0379.jpg

i read the threads/posts of people fitting them to 80's as an upgrade and stupidly presumed theyd fit a 70! :oops:

i dont fancy making the holes in my bonnet any bigger, so looks like there surplus. anyone after any?

decided to try and get the pulley off the old alternator.

SAM_0382.jpg

the little 10mm headed bolt that locks the nut on, had rounded. :thumbdown:

i hammered a smaller socket on, but this then just turned on the nut.

SAM_0383.jpg

decided to drill it out!

SAM_0384.jpg

i was then able to undo the 19mm nut with the ratchet gun.

SAM_0385.jpg

SAM_0386.jpg

i could then use a puller to remove the pulley.

SAM_0387.jpg

SAM_0388.jpg

few more bits to do on it tomorrow night, before the weekends big laning trip. :thumbup:

a couple of links.

firstly to the alternator ive fitted, incase anyone plans on doing the same:-

http://www.startermotor-alternator-stor ... 2297-p.asp

and secondly to an electrical place i found through ebay, but have since discovered is only just up the road from me. i got the new battery terminals from them:-

http://adesas.co.uk/product_info.php?cP ... ucts_id=38

very pleased with the service and prices from both these companies. :clap:

have a great trip to Lakes Ben - hope its not too slippy on those rock steps if raining...
I look forward to the report and photos :p

Ben said:
maybe a stupid question. :oops:

but why? :think:

Exposed lead terminals on batteries will oxidise over a period of time. Most car technicians will daub the tops of the terminals with grease to keep water out. This makes for a messy battery top, and it doesn't guarantee that water wont get in from the bottom. I prefer to coat the actual terminal post and inside the clamp with vaseline )petroleum jelly).

Roger

ok thanks Roger. :)

will stick some vaseline on them. :thumbup:

AndyCook said:
have a great trip to Lakes Ben - hope its not too slippy on those rock steps if raining...
I look forward to the report and photos :p

thanks Andy. :thumbup:

going to air the tyres up quite high for the drive there, then air them down to about 20 when i hit the lanes. should give me a bit better traction on the slippery rocks. :)

suzuki Dave is coming, so expect another great trip report with loads of pics! :dance:

all ready for my trip and leaving shortly. :dance:

i recently added some tie down points, so in the event of a roll over nothing flies around.

decided to carry my 60litres of derv/veg on the near side rear, because the truck seems to be sitting increasing lower on the off side rear.

SAM_0389.jpg

SAM_0390.jpg

just inflated all the tyres up to 40psi for the long drive up to the lakes. will drop them down to 20psi when i hit the lanes.

SAM_0391.jpg

:cool:

Hmmm, no apres-laning Sunday evening update from Ben... Hope everything is okay... :think:

Back