Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Been sorting out the photos to post up :icon-biggrin:

There's less than one hour between these two, 52min in fact :violin:

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

Great pics Steven. :clap:
Cheers Ben, I'm pleased with them :icon-biggrin: All that's missing is any photos of the water crossing that we all did just before I chipped off home as I videoed everyone going through. I will post a link up to the vid as soon as I've managed to tie them all together :icon-confused: :shifty:

some great photos there - thanks for sharing
like the one of pajero cocking a back leg!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What a great day out you all had, even though Ben did some damage ( to be expected actually, surprised now when he doesn't !! ) it looks like it was getting quite cold, with seeing that snow on the peaks.

Keep it safe guys.

Gra.

My truck will only be on the road for 1 more month, so decided to take the 37"s off and put the 35"s back on.

It drives a lot nicer on the 35"s and the truck has a bit more get up and go.

P1000502.jpg

Took one of the rear wheels off and found more sand. :icon-rolleyes:

P1000504.jpg

P1000505.jpg

35"s look tiny now after having the 37"s on. :(

P1000506.jpg

P1000510.jpg

Very impressed with the starter motor rebuild kit that turned up. :clap:

Especially for £15 delivered. :dance:

P1000511.jpg

P1000512.jpg

Great photos... actually I quite like the "armoured car" appearance of your truck Ben :whistle: (sorry!)

Hi Ben,
I think going back to 35 is the right idea.
In my un-expert opinion, your 3.0L engine is feeling the pain of the 37 inch.

Were the 37 wonderous on the tarmac, like wanting to go their own way?

I think I just invented some new words there !

Gra.

Great photos... actually I quite like the "armoured car" appearance of your truck Ben :whistle: (sorry!)

Thanks. :icon-smile:

Make the most of it, hoping it will be all fixed soon! :dance:

Hi Ben,
I think going back to 35 is the right idea.
In my un-expert opinion, your 3.0L engine is feeling the pain of the 37 inch.

Were the 37 wonderous on the tarmac, like wanting to go their own way?

I think I just invented some new words there !

Gra.

Well the truck is a lot nicer to drive on the road with the 35"s. It accelerates quicker and is smoother to drive.

But the 37"s made the top end better, it would cruise nicer at 70-80mph than on the 35"s as the revs were lower.

The 37"s are big heavy tyres based on lorry carcasses, and are also totally un-balanced. But there awesome off road! :icon-twisted:

Having swapped my old engine out in favour of the 1KZT 3 litre engine, but having kept the old 2.4 (LJ70) diffs and gearbox/transfercase it actually drives better on bigger tyres than say a normal 3 litre (KZJ70) due to the gear ratio's. :icon-cool:

Ive got one final laning trip planned for mid December. :dance:

Hopefully this one might be a bit tamer/less eventful than the last one. :lol:

Quite a productive day! :dance:

My mate (who im going to miss a lot when im in OZ) drove me down to Bristol to get a new roof. :icon-smile:

P1000513.jpg

First job after removing the bonnet, was getting the windscreen out. As I kept my windscreen rubber from my broken screen we were able to cut the rubber seal around the windscreen with a sharp stanley knife.

P1000514.jpg

P1000515.jpg

With windscreen carefully removed we were able to take the roof off. :icon-twisted:

P1000516.jpg

P1000518.jpg

P1000519.jpg

P1000520.jpg

P1000521.jpg

P1000522.jpg

P1000523.jpg

And shes off. :dance:

P1000524.jpg

P1000525.jpg

P1000527.jpg

And onto the truck ready for the 120mile journey.

P1000528.jpg

P1000529.jpg

I realise that looking at the pics it looks like I didnt do anything, but I did, honest! :lol:

Eventually at 5PM we made it back to mine. The roof was still safely on the back, as was my prayer mat which I was worried might have blown off. :lol:

P1000530.jpg

First job when we got back was to remove the headlining.

P1000531.jpg

P1000532.jpg

I found it interesting that all the corner pillars have got a drainage hose running inside them from the sunroof.

P1000533.jpg

P1000535.jpg

P1000536.jpg

P1000538.jpg

We then turned the roof back over. The KZJ70 that the roof came from had been used as a challenge truck for a while, which means there are a couple of dents that I need to fill. Not a huge problem as I've got to paint the roof anyway. :icon-smile:

P1000539.jpg

My new perfect condition sunroof! :dance: (sorry Dave.)

P1000540.jpg

Perfect condition KZJ70 radiator which has a brass top and bottom. :icon-biggrin:

P1000541.jpg

P1000542.jpg

Also got a KZJ70 airbox with pipe, which should make my truck a bit more powerful as im sure the current air intake pipe is very restrictive. Also got a speedo cable, steering wheel for a project im working on, and a spare wing mirror.

P1000543.jpg

Also got all the side windows (just as spares, encase any trees jump out in front of me. :lol:)

P1000544.jpg

So once again I've managed to fill my dads garage with bits of car. :icon-rolleyes:

Dont think hes going to miss me for that! :lol:

Huge thanks to Rich for contacting me to say hed got a roof, and for letting me come and make so much noise removing it. :clap:

Also huge thanks to my mate for chauffeuring me all day and for jumping on the stihl saw and carefully removing the roof for me. :clap:

Need to buy some mig gas, and fill and paint the roof. Then cut my old one off and weld the new one on. :icon-cool:

brilliant and i was amused to see the "prayer mat" on tour :clap:
good luck with roof transfer!

My new perfect condition sunroof! :dance: (sorry Dave.)

P1000540.jpg

Damn! It was in Bristol too, Ive also been after one of those A-pillar handles as well! :violence-hammer:

I think you needed it more than me though!

Can you PM me the details of who you got it from please as it looks like it might be worth me picking up a spare fuel pump to tinker with.

Damn! It was in Bristol too, Ive also been after one of those A-pillar handles as well! :violence-hammer:

I think you needed it more than me though!

Can you PM me the details of who you got it from please as it looks like it might be worth me picking up a spare fuel pump to tinker with.

I thought when we were driving back that you may be a little pissed that there was a perfect sunroof available in Bristol! :oops:

To be fair though the chap only got in touch with me because he saw on my build thread that I was looking for a new roof. I dont think he was actively looking/trying to sell any bits off the old KZJ70 he had parked up. :icon-smile:

Why do you want a grab handle? is yours missing or broken?

I was intending on fitting it to the passenger side, but on removal of the headlining material, it doesn't look like there's any threaded lugs/captive nuts. :doh:

I might still fit it, just drill and rivnut some holes for it first. :think:

Regarding the manual fuel pump I would have liked to buy it as a spare for mine, but the chap wants to keep it for a spare for his KZJ78 which is obviously running an electric fuel pump. :|

Good to see progress, and no blood loss !

Gra.

Back