Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Condolences to you and your family Ben - its tough when a family member passes away when your oversea's. Praying for comfort at this time for you!

Mark

Bugger, double bugger with a large side order of bugger. That's a blow Ben. Been through it twice with both parents and the only good thing I can say about that is at least it can't happen again.

Bugger.

Chris

My deepest condolences Ben. I was about your age when my mum passed. Its tough but I'm sure you will get through it mate. On a light hearted note do you think your Dad may have been sending you a little message? Lincomb is but a week and a half away!!!

Such sad news about your dad Ben, my thoughts are with you buddy. I lost my dad when I was 19, hardest thing I've ever been through. Keep your chin up mate!

So sorry Ben to hear your sad loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at such a difficult time! Caron & Marius

Thanks for all the kind words and support, it really does mean a lot. :icon-smile:

A very sad time, but I will be OK. :icon-wink:

Regarding buying an 80 I have been tempted, but I cant really justify having 3 cars. :think:

I want a duel cab 70, but I think it might be a few years before I can afford one, where as an 80 is a lot more affordable. But I cant get rid of LJ, and I dont really want to get rid of the Astra as its quite comfortable to drive and is very economical to run.

Think I need a girlfriend who drives an 80. :lol:

Then we could jump in her truck for bigger trips. :think:

Ben for parts let me know; I'm bringing a load of stuff out with me in early June, so might be able to sneak something small in. I'm using TransGlobal who are about £425 for a 110kg-ish consignment of 5 boxes, and that's a 5 day service to Aus.

Have a look on ParceltoGo and MyParcelDelivery they have international options as well.

Thanks Ed, I will bear that in mind. :thumbup:

Really sorry to hear about your dad ben, the same happened to me but quite a few years ago now. Let me know if you need anything.

By the way, have you tried these guys for parts, not far from me. http://shop.allfourx4.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/allfourx4/Categories

Not seen those before, thanks Paul. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Ben,

Really sorry to hear about your Dad.
Hope your going to be OK during this difficult time.

Sad times for you I am afraid.
Being so far away makes it doubly hard.

Keep strong, he is still watching you.

Gra.

Regarding buying an 80 I have been tempted, but I cant really justify having 3 cars. :think:

I want a duel cab 70, but I think it might be a few years before I can afford one, where as an 80 is a lot more affordable. But I cant get rid of LJ, and I dont really want to get rid of the Astra as its quite comfortable to drive and is very economical to run.

Think I need a girlfriend who drives an 80. :lol:

Then we could jump in her truck for bigger trips. :think:

Thanks Ed, I will bear that in mind. :thumbup:

Not seen those before, thanks Paul. :thumbup:

As for 3 cars, I can understand the difficulty in justification. However, in time and if your daily drive use is not excessive in mileage, you may consider getting a tidy 80 to replace the Astra. With a modest suspension lift ARB's front and back, a winch and some chunky AT's, it will take you on almost any trail you choose. Then LJ could be beefed-up for the more extreme and "damaging" runs, where you wouldn't want to be pannel-bending the 80. The 80 is a lovely car for asphalt and unmetalled roads alike, big and comfortable with AC etc., great for camping with a roof tent and the like (the GF to be will enjoy that) and youll have the best of both worlds. No Jimney pleeeease!

Just a suggestion to ponder for the future. :think:

Ben my condolences on your fathers passing.
And remember experience is what you get by getting out there and doing.
As for the whole 80 suggestion you are the one that is going to have to live with the vehicle but I would think that a longer wheel base vehicle will do better on those trails and for longer trips be more comfortable to live out of, but then I have never used a short wheel base vehicle for anything other than playing.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I would like to keep LJ for the more extreme trails and eventually cut all the bodywork off and turn it into a full on caged up challenge truck. But that will probably be a few years away. :icon-twisted:

Until then I want to use it for trips, even though I know an 80 would be more suitable. :think:

I'm going to upgrade the suspension very soon, as the Ironman kit is knackered. I've also been looking at getting some 35" x 12.5" Mickey Thomson tyres. Which would obviously be a bit more suitable for the slightly bigger trips where I'm driving for 3-4 hours just to reach the area where the trails are. :icon-biggrin:

Some good points made about the 80 by Clive and Julian. :thumbup:

I want to keep the Astra for the rest of the year, but then I'd be happy to change it for the right 80 or even a 105. :thumbup:

OK a quick work/building update before I start repairing LJ! :icon-biggrin:

Fitted a handrail and spindles leading down from the veranda.

P1030683_zpsb1350460.jpg

P1030684_zpsa582dcd6.jpg

And built a ramp.

P1040079_zps5e9bbe67.jpg

P1040080_zps3fba1a6c.jpg

Got all the facia, gutter, and down pipes fitted.

P1040081_zpsbbe0e00c.jpg

P1040069_zps1e0e13d2.jpg

Just needs painting now.

P1040067_zps89196ba0.jpg

My boss wanted me to build a sign post which he can hang some nice hand carved signs hes got on, so each arrow will point to different things EG. Toilets, refreshments, cross country, show jumping, etc.

P1030689_zps57eb396f.jpg

P1030690_zps9a1b5122.jpg

P1040066_zpsc2703d92.jpg

My project this week has been to turn a derelict public toilet block into a usable toilet block.

This ex council toilet block has stood derelict for 20+ years and all the timber inside has been eaten out by white ants.

P1040057_zpsbe1ccb57.jpg

P1040058_zps11cd130b.jpg

P1040059_zpsedab312e.jpg

P1040060_zps135d24d0.jpg

We wanted to turn it so its inline with all the other buildings. It weighs 15+ tonnes as its solid concrete. We had 2 tractors trying to drag it round and they both had all 4 wheels spinning. :shock:

P1040061_zps261ed3b5.jpg

P1040062_zpsf656b74a.jpg

Eventually after snapping one chain we managed to get it moving.

P1040063_zps869c6d03.jpg

P1040064_zps53a52db5.jpg

P1040065_zpsfefec273.jpg

With the Manitou and the forklift we could just lift one corner enough to get some crushed rock underneath to level it up.

P1040073_zps8a03ef32.jpg

I built a dummy roof on it next.

P1040070_zps9e37105f.jpg

P1040071_zps0472884b.jpg

P1040072_zps81427734.jpg

Roofing sheets went on next.

P1040075_zps3df6a7a8.jpg

P1040077_zpsb58eb363.jpg

Needed to fill the sides in.

P1040082_zps82427729.jpg

P1040087_zps7c081469.jpg

P1040085_zps663aa18e.jpg

P1040088_zps88cc1444.jpg

Otherside done and gutter on.

P1040090_zpsdfcb5c68.jpg

Weve started gutting the inside ready to get it pressure washed out. Were then going to leave this job and it will become a wet weather job for when we get a few days of rain, I can fit the inside out.

Next week I should be starting the 1km of new plastic fencing. :icon-cool:

Should make some progress on LJ this weekend. :dance:

Fantastic jobs both, Ben! What you can do with the right equipment. You're very lucky to have all those toys to play with!

About painting the woodwork, couldn't you stain it and use a clear (or stained) preservative? I love wood (as wood) and it always seems a shame to see it painted...

Great work mate.

Sorry to hear the bad news Ben, real bummer.

Q. Why is there a ramp going up to a fence on the verandah?

In relation to the 70, is it possible that the tyres are too big, and are putting too much strain on the drivetrain?

Pete

Fantastic jobs both, Ben! What you can do with the right equipment. You're very lucky to have all those toys to play with!

About painting the woodwork, couldn't you stain it and use a clear (or stained) preservative? I love wood (as wood) and it always seems a shame to see it painted...

Great work mate.

Thanks. :thumbup:

We would love to stain/varnish it, but the UV rays over here are so strong it would need a fresh coat every year. :thumbdown:

Where as the special paints over here give 10 years protection.

The plan is to unscrew each section and remove it. Line them all up and spray it all. :icon-cool:

The UV rays here are very bad, hence why theyve got the highest rates of skin cancer on the planet. I read some where that there is a hole in the ozone layer above Australia, not sure how true it is though. :think:

Sorry to hear the bad news Ben, real bummer.

Q. Why is there a ramp going up to a fence on the verandah?

In relation to the 70, is it possible that the tyres are too big, and are putting too much strain on the drivetrain?

Pete

Thanks Pete. :thumbup:

The ramp goes up to a removable/lift out section of handrail. If you go back a few pages you will see the pics of it. :icon-wink:

The tyres arnt helping the drive terrain, but the ring and pinion's up to now have all been 20 year old 100,000+ miles ones. So I'm hoping by buying quality new ones and having them professionally fitted they should last longer.

A lot of the landrover based challenge trucks in the UK run 70 series axles as there a lot stronger than landy ones, and obviously they all run big tyres.

The actual shafts and CV's are the same thickness as 80 series ones, so they should be able to take the bigger tyres.

I guess only time will tell. :icon-biggrin:

I'm going to run with the 35"s on for a while though now, unless I'm going some where like Bindaree or Talangi which really warrant the 37"s. :icon-twisted:

Some great craftsmanship Ben keep up the good work.

Are you able to give some insight into "the boss" as he seems to have made it in life with all the toys/machinery and such a nice place to live on.

Thanks Warren. :thumbup:

My boss's family have been on this land since it was first settled a few hundred years ago. They came from one of the Nordic countries, I cant remember which. The original piece of land would have been about a square mile, but its not that big anymore as over the years some has been sold off to pay death duties.

Up until WW2 the property was a fruit growing property with the whole lot devoted to orchards growing apples and cherries. The soil here is very fertile which is why there are so many orchards and wineries in this area (The Yarra Valley)

I live in one of the old fruit pickers cottages, which is obviously where the pickers lived years ago.

For the past 40 years the property has been run as an equestrian property. Some time in the last century the family bought a nearby property which is now used as a show ground. This showground property is about a mile away and was originally orchards, but all the fruit trees have long since gone.

The showground now hosts one major horse event each year, which is what I was building all the new jumps for when I first arrived. Years ago it was a huge event attracting thousands of people, had some huge sponsors and was televised.

There are a few smaller horse events held here each year by people who hire the place out. There is also the big 4x4 show once a year, and a few other events.
My boss's son is keen to hold music festivals here in the future.

The building I built the veranda on is a bit like a village hall and is hired out to different groups and people to have parties in etc. :icon-smile:

I used to work on a property that sounds like it had a similar history, the difference being that is was grazing land rather than fruit. First settled in the 1860's, it was bought in the late 1960's by the current owners as they moved from a caravan park to a horse property just as the cheap flights to Bali etc took off. They ran 3500 acres of paddocks and bush, running about 200 horses of their own, and another 150ish on agistment, along with 40ish head of cattle. Every year they held a music festival at New Year that had about 8-10k people, and caused chaos for the staff who were trying to run as much of the normal operation as possible... the festival was run by an external promoter who went bust this year, leaving a lot of unpaid debts to some small local companies unfortunately.

If the owner's son is thinking about going down that route then make sure he gets paid (either the whole lot or about 85%) in advance... at least he gets his money up front then, so the cost of repairing the venue is covered!

OK tiny update but no pics...................................

Wasn't having much luck sourcing the air actuator 4wd drive thingy off the side of the transfer box. :thumbdown:

Couldn't find one in the UK or find anyone breaking a Bundera (Australias version of the LJ70).

Interestingly though Toyodiy said it was also fitted to the 60 series and a model of hilux. :think:

Anyway I entered all the details and a pic into one of these part search thingies that contact all the wreckers/breakers/scrap yards etc.

Then yesterday I got an email from the place below. Very resonable price and I will be calling them on Monday to make payment and arrange delivery.

http://www.allfourx4.com.au/

Found a guy in Geelong (2 hour drive each way) breaking a Bundera. Hes away this weekend and working nights all week, so next weekend I will drive over and get a front prop shaft off him (they call them drive shafts over here).

Stripped the truck down last night and got the rear diff out and then took the ARB centre out. I'm off to ARB headquarters this morning, so will take both lockers with me, although I doubt anyone from the Technical side will be available to speak to me. Need a couple of spare parts, like the bits with the copper air hose attached. I'm also going to get a price from them to rebuild my diff with the air locker and new ring and pinion.

I'm also going to Toyota to buy a load of oil seals. I also want to try and source all new Koyo bearings for the diff. :icon-cool:

Oh also going to pop into the TJM store. I was looking at one of the guys 80's on the Bindaree trip and hed got some really good TJM seat covers, that had pockets all the way round the front and sides. They looked really good. :icon-biggrin:

I'm hoping next weekend the truck will be back together and fixed and ready to hit the trails again! :dance:

Back