Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Adjustable Panhard Rod

Jim40

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
Hi everyone,

This LJ78 was our first Cruiser, and 'no'... it wasn't a good start. We decided to buy a Toyota because we needed something more reliable. A 2LT-E with a cracked head... I really do pick 'em.

Anyway, we've treated our 78 to some EFS shocks, springs and castor correction bushings. I think I need an adjustable panhard rod to offset the 2" lift. Can anybody advise/ point me in the right direction please?

Here she is in some rare Irish sunshine.

LJ78.JPG

I saw on the Dobingsons springs website out of Australia had one but it said left hand drive ?? Might be worth a call??

I called Dobinsons in OZ this week and they don't make an adjustable Pan Hard for RHD LJ78's.

I've always thought of adjustables to be a bit of a waste of engineering. If you suffer an offset problem with the lift fitted, then measure up the difference and get a nice tube-weld insert made up at your local fabrication shop.

The job will be strong, especially if they go about it like Ben did (IIRC) with welded drillings in the tube to weld to the bar in more places other than just around the cut edges of the tube.

The bar can be "V" welded first with the tube slid over the joint and welded around the circumference, as strong as the original maybe if not stronger.

JMHO of course.

I'll have to go with your idea, as this is way over my limited abilities and knowledge.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Guys, thanks for the tips, links and advice. I would be slow about getting something fabricated for the simple reason that I wouldn't want to give my insurance company something to hang me with in the event of an accident (touch wood). I know, that's a whole other conversation.
I've decided to sell the LJ78 anyway. I recently got a BJ40 (profile pic) which I'm desperate to rebuild and need the money. If only it grew on trees! Thanks again everyone.

Please tell us more about your 40, with photos if poss

Regards,

Back