Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Build Thread

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I think I've sorted out the rear diff lock being stuck in, issue! :icon-cool:

Removed the actuator this morning before work.

IMG_2081_zpsv6ohj0wi.jpg

IMG_2082_zpshgxubbuc.jpg

And stripped it down.

Pretty rusty inside and the motor was seized solid. :doh:

IMG_2083_zpshzoiypzw.jpg

IMG_2084_zps7tolxgfn.jpg

IMG_2085_zpsmzricmtq.jpg

IMG_2087_zpsvybwsvcn.jpg

IMG_2088_zpsem1uz5ws.jpg

IMG_2089_zpsb9kzihvc.jpg

IMG_2090_zpsddi3yvf0.jpg

IMG_2091_zpsprtj33km.jpg

IMG_2092_zpskafeujpq.jpg

IMG_2093_zpsi3fh7wgb.jpg

This end cap/top hat section was the worst as its really pitted from the tin worm. :thumbdown:

IMG_2096_zps5rowjpdj.jpg

IMG_2097_zpsdqvfpizc.jpg

If I was still down in Melbourne I would have got this electro plated, but as the electro plater let me down very badly the second time I tried using them, I've given up on them.

We will be living back in Melbourne again soon so I will get it electroplated next time I pull it off.

For now I gave it some rust treatment.

IMG_2098_zpslqpgzssq.jpg

Started cleaning and reassembling the rest of the actuator.

IMG_2099_zpsaxwhgbnn.jpg

IMG_2101_zpsfllz1xhy.jpg

IMG_2102_zps8zjoca3q.jpg

With new O rings, silicon sealant and grease.

IMG_2103_zpswtxfytre.jpg

IMG_2104_zpsio5hckfq.jpg

I jacked the back of the 78 up so both wheels were off the ground.

IMG_2105_zpscmag3yd8.jpg

IMG_2106_zps5isqvlzc.jpg

And looked inside the diff where the little toothed wheel on the end of the actuator pushes and pulls this toothed rod across.

IMG_2109_zpsjoqkmjxz.jpg

So this is with the locker engaged.

IMG_2108_zpsanefaw3i.jpg

And after flicking it across with a screw driver it was in the unlocked position! :dance:

IMG_2111_zpslkcqasog.jpg

I suspect it had been permanently engaged for a while and maybe thats why it snapped some teeth off the crown wheel. :think:

It did feel a bit tight when I drove it home, but there were that many issues with this vehicle when I bought it I wasnt sure what was making it feel a little different to drive. :|

The top hat section came up OK after the acid had done its thing.

IMG_2112_zpsydy2jinr.jpg

So then I took it outside for a few coats of etch primer

IMG_2113_zpsfr9a5iw5.jpg

I will give it a few coats of enamel and then get it bolted back on to the actuator and then I can fit it back on the diff and hopefully get the locker working from the switch. :pray:

Last edited:
Apart from being seized, my rear axle actuator didn't look too bad for its age Ben.

My front one on my 1995 80 simply disintegrated in my hands when I removed it.

Last edited:
Interesting pics of the actuator, never seen one in detail before. :thumbup:

Also never had a factory locking diff, wish I had two.

Looking good Ben! When i got my LJ78 a couple of years ago i was trawling your LJ70 build thread for tips, since then you seem to have gotten a lot closer and more relevant!

I've been conteplating drawers since I got mine, but it's been pushed further and further down the to do list by needing to catch up on years of delayed maintenance (this week, apparently alternator bushes don't work so well when they are a few mm shorter than spec).
Something i've not yet been able to resolve in the design for drawers is the kid seat mount. I looked at the ADR's early on but their compliant solution did not seem conducive to efficient storage in a 4wd. The OEM's tend to be able to get away with a lot more efficient mounting than the adr allows (which is not unusual).

I'm interested to see how you resolve it on this build. Although at the rate I'm going, my son might be out of the kiddie seat before I get to it.

Reactions: Ben
Thanks guys! :thumbup:

Blake where abouts in the country are you?

The child seat restraint points have been something I've been thinking about a lot lately and trying to design into my rear fit out. :)

I discovered recently that the little rusty plates that had been riveted to my floor pan, right at the back of the boot, which I removed and welded the holes up as they were causing corrosion, were actually the child restraint points that would have had to be fitted by the importer in order to register the car in this country. :icon-redface:

But I wouldnt have trusted them to restrain my dog, let alone my first born! :shifty:

They were just little plates with an M6 nut welded to the bottom held on with 2 rivets. :thumbdown:

So if that is deemed compliant and safe I dont think I will have any dramas with what I design and fit! :)

Anyway...........

I will go into more detail in my next update which is going to be a big one as I've put a good 50-60 hours into the build since my last update. :sleeping-sleep:

The rear bumper is finished and fitted, roof rack is fitted, wiring is done to the point where it starts and drives perfectly, spare tyre has been sourced, fitted to a wheel and is on the back of the car, Amayama have posted what I hope will be my last order for this build, the 50 litre water tank is in the boot and I'm busy designing and building the false floor, fridge slide and drawer system, and I'm also in the middle of modifying and fitting the bullbar with winch and driving lights. :icon-cool:

Hoping I will get an update up tomorrow if I dont get too many jobs through at work. :pray::pray:

This is the floor in my 4Runner, the top tether holes are the ones that are about in line with the rear of the wheel arch tie down points, not nearest the seat backs. They're an M6 or an M8 threaded hole in the floor pan.

WP_20170604_16_42_56_Pro.jpg

I've found the QLD rules and regs, and the VIC rules and regs, so they may shed some light on it all. What it looks like is that it needs a mod plate to be done for it.

Hope that helps a bit,

Ed

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd get in touch with one of the Victorian Engineers to check requirements because some of the QLD tethers look like they'd work fine with a drawer system so it can't be impossible.

Looking forward to the next update!

Saw the new bumper on Facebook and all I'll say is its perfect. I might end up copying it in future myself. Can't wait to see the build process ben went through to get it like that

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Rear bumper took far longer than I'd have liked,although finishing the exhaust was part of that job and that cost me a lot of time. Worth it though, I'm really pleased with it. :icon-biggrin:

Mod Plate? Engineering? :shifty:

Whats all that then! :whistle: :lol:

Mod Plate? Engineering? :shifty:

Whats all that then! :whistle: :lol:

Sounds a bit like my trailer going from 750kg to 1200kg... it change on the rego papers when I added brakes, but that was it.

Joke is if it was home-made it wouldn't need engineering, but because it's been manufactured, it's a lot more hoops to jump through

Bintang singlet? Check.
Triple J stored as a radio preset? Check.
Well sorted Land Cruiser? Check.

You're in mate!

Owen

:lol: :thumbup:

OK update time! ;)

The cap off the rear diff lock actuator came up ok after a few coats of paint, not perfect as it is a bit pitted, but ok.

IMG_2142_zpsx2fmc7xv.jpg

I stuck the magnets back in position with silicon.

IMG_2143_zpsgo6yg4ml.jpg

And bolted it all back together.

IMG_2227_zpskhwgyssu.jpg

IMG_2228_zpshlgad3zp.jpg

Refitted it to the diff, but the diff lock still wouldnt engage when turning the switch. :doh:

Then I found some damaged wiring that goes to the diff lock actuator, attached to the chassis at the back end one of the vehicle.

IMG_2274_zpsgsi7p53n.jpg

IMG_2275_zpsfnvgbakg.jpg

That got soldered and heat shrunk.

IMG_2281_zpsjfd6c0j7.jpg

But still the bloody thing wont work. :icon-mad

So I will need to follow all the problem solving procedures in the FSM.

The big job over the last few weeks has been the rear bumper.

I put some masking tape on the body work to protect the paint work and started working out where I needed to cut my freshly folded steel in order to create the rear bumper.

IMG_2114_zps0qaeiuq8.jpg

The end behind the rear wheels would need cutting on an angle, the same as the body work so that the standard mud flaps would work.

IMG_2115_zpsgdqzjrxk.jpg

And the other end needed cutting out to fit around the rear lights.

IMG_2116_zpskkrxgpwg.jpg

IMG_2117_zpsfbotk7qr.jpg

I made a cut which allowed the wing to fit inside the rear section a little.

IMG_2118_zpsqraufs27.jpg

And then marked the other cuts.

IMG_2119_zpsobuqhqkz.jpg

IMG_2120_zpslkp5senb.jpg

Couldnt decide how best to do the notch around the lights.

IMG_2121_zpsoijpntji.jpg

But in the end I went for a nice round cut out.

IMG_2122_zpsxpfl3fu0.jpg

IMG_2123_zps386itmfa.jpg

IMG_2124_zps0emxezv1.jpg

IMG_2125_zpswvljegwl.jpg

A bit more cutting.

IMG_2144_zpslbywk4h9.jpg

IMG_2145_zps7psj0ubt.jpg

IMG_2146_zpsiatmcv0f.jpg

Followed by a cardboard template of the piece of steel I would need to fill in the corner with.

IMG_2147_zpsjxaaeiji.jpg

IMG_2148_zpsh48pouan.jpg

Once I was happy with the sections I had cut for the passenger side I copied those measurements onto the drivers side sections and cut them so both sides were identical.

IMG_2162_zpsxcbbxcty.jpg

And clamped them in position.

IMG_2163_zpscrwnwtpa.jpg

IMG_2164_zps4fns5tqr.jpg

IMG_2165_zpsgr6xf4yu.jpg

IMG_2166_zpscl3cgees.jpg

IMG_2166_zpswu5y4vxn.jpg

IMG_2167_zpsxegvsxrv.jpg

IMG_2168_zpsenqurzqb.jpg

Started tacking it together with the MIG.

IMG_2169_zps7ftwhzbh.jpg

IMG_2170_zpsheiessqm.jpg

IMG_2171_zpsgz07poza.jpg

IMG_2172_zpseykqahnr.jpg

IMG_2173_zpshhntajaf.jpg

I cut the steel for the corners.

IMG_2174_zpsiyjcaepq.jpg

And bent them in the vice.

IMG_2175_zpsjib6syxe.jpg

IMG_2176_zpskjmkozmp.jpg

Tacked in position.

IMG_2178_zps1jolkjiv.jpg

IMG_2179_zpsezm24ux1.jpg

Other side.

IMG_2181_zpsfdnx9dag.jpg

IMG_2183_zpsrtuqqlg1.jpg

IMG_2184_zpsgziqhtjw.jpg

I needed to fill in around the rear lights next.

IMG_2185_zps4szcbs74.jpg

IMG_2186_zpsjf47ntgz.jpg

IMG_2187_zpsat3ctrus.jpg

IMG_2189_zps2hpnrnyq.jpg

IMG_2190_zpsl1pucexf.jpg

Clamped a sheet of copper underneath the rear section, the reason being if I just used normal steel then it would probably end up welded to the bumper, where as by using a piece of non ferrous copper underneath there is no chance of it sticking to the ferrous steel above. :ugeek:

IMG_2191_zpsetr0syyi.jpg

IMG_2192_zps1tf24zxp.jpg

IMG_2193_zpsm5upc1pf.jpg

IMG_2194_zps5iyk3cwo.jpg

IMG_2195_zps5ojxputy.jpg

Next I needed to fill in the rounded section but as the little sheet metal roller I've got is only meant for 1mm sheet I couldnt roll the sheet myself.

IMG_2196_zpsvvrht6oe.jpg

Instead I cut a section out of some pipe.

IMG_2197_zpsdhn19zoy.jpg

IMG_2198_zpso2uznfxz.jpg

IMG_2199_zps3ymgouxi.jpg

IMG_2200_zpsahtz3ccc.jpg

Last piece went in.

IMG_2201_zpswm1z1ibw.jpg

And then the whole thing could be removed to be fully welded.

IMG_2202_zpsikduf3fh.jpg

Back to the bumper the next day and I had turned the car around as I had taken it for a test drive.

IMG_2231_zpsephndhof.jpg

IMG_2233_zpssravjdpm.jpg

The passenger side was all welded.

IMG_2234_zpshh0oniur.jpg

But the drivers side wasnt.

IMG_2235_zpsrm52ihqr.jpg

IMG_2236_zps85nhboga.jpg

So the same as the other side...........

IMG_2237_zpsvv1m7vap.jpg

Opted to do all the cutting and grinding outside this time though as the amount of dust in the garage from the previous day was crazy!

IMG_2239_zpstnc9z98p.jpg

Cut the end cap pieces.

IMG_2240_zpsce2fvmne.jpg

And set about welding them on.

IMG_2241_zpskbnh46ur.jpg

This weeks top tip.

If your going to be grinding the welds down afterwards as you want nice rounded corners, never cut the metal to come right to the edge, otherwise you will end up grinding all your weld away and whatever your making will fall apart. :)

Instead you want the edges to be set back roughly the thickness of the metal, so in this situation 3mm all the way round. :ugeek:

IMG_2243_zpszczik9cp.jpg

IMG_2244_zpsvaoyiz87.jpg

To manage distortion from all the welding heat going into the metal, put plenty of little tacks on all the way round.

Dont make the tacks too big or they will affect the weld going all the way around and could cause little bumps.

IMG_2245_zps82alzoqg.jpg

Once tacked its time to run round with the MIG.
I genuinely believe you could teach monkeys to MIG weld, it really isnt difficult! :obscene-moneypiss:

Sure it takes practice to get good welds but its not difficult. Once the gas pressure, wire speed and amps are all set properly on the machine its just a case of having the correct torch angle, keeping the torch the correct distance from the metal and moving along at the correct speed for what speed you have the machine set to.:think:

For these welds all I did was move along with the torch, no weaving, wiggling, nothing, nice comfortable position, steadying myself on the bench and weld. :icon-cool:

IMG_2246_zpsdxxxx3js.jpg

IMG_2247_zpsxvg3bezg.jpg

IMG_2249_zpslfxxowgs.jpg

Once that one was welded I did the same on the other section and then they were both almost finished.

IMG_2250_zpsm6gow8pa.jpg

IMG_2251_zpsmew34evm.jpg

I needed to make the brackets to attach them next.

So I nipped out and got some steel.

IMG_2253_zpschslnuku.jpg

Cut the 100mm x 100mm x 6mm angle first.

IMG_2254_zps5pjzf1xf.jpg

Marked where the holes needed to be to pick up on 2 of the chassis cross member captive nuts.

IMG_2255_zpsixob3ovy.jpg

Decided as I didnt want any visible fixings on my bumper, to use M8 bolts through the captive M10 nuts in the chassis.

So bolted the angle sections in position and then spot welded the M8 nuts on.

IMG_2257_zpsdly6zvtn.jpg

Then I tacked the bumper sections to the angle.

IMG_2258_zpscqqramoh.jpg

IMG_2259_zpswwjg8eee.jpg

Cut some more 3mm sheet for the other mounts, these will be sandwiched between the 10mm thick towbar mounts and the chassis.

IMG_2260_zpsqkapfzv0.jpg

Used some punches to mark through the cardboard for where the chassis captive nuts are.

IMG_2261_zps6myc08uw.jpg

Then marked and drilled the 3mm sheet.

IMG_2262_zpsl3mxp0b3.jpg

Bolted them in position.

IMG_2263_zpsg7eeujwx.jpg

And tack welded them to the bumper section.

IMG_2264_zpsaaezsynq.jpg

I looked at how the plastic sections will look when they bolt back on next.

IMG_2265_zpsnn5zgjnw.jpg

And realised I'd cocked up. :icon-redface:

IMG_2266_zpsconva50v.jpg

So I would need to weld some more steel on to fill in the gaps.

IMG_2267_zpsl9lgxqro.jpg

Decided I'd come back to that once the bumper sections were next removed and instead turned my attention to the other mounts that were necessary to add some much needed strength to the wings.

For this I used 75mm x 10mm steel.

IMG_2268_zpsbxkxdxye.jpg

IMG_2271_zpszp5ndbmz.jpg

Apologies for the dark pics, but these are the brackets pushed into position.

IMG_2273_zpsguvwh9v5.jpg

IMG_2274_zpsgsi7p53n.jpg

Found some mounting bolts for them.

IMG_2278_zpspakrgjyi.jpg

And marked and center punched them ready for drilling.

IMG_2279_zpsbn7ir0mk.jpg

IMG_2280_zpshm9qmhze.jpg

Drilled them on the pillar drill.

IMG_2294_zpsv71mdepa.jpg

And bolted them to the chassis.

IMG_2295_zps2l33oqdz.jpg

IMG_2296_zps1ukazsey.jpg

IMG_2297_zpsudxxqzhz.jpg

Cut a 200mm long piece of 100mm x 6mm corner to corner.

IMG_2298_zps8pftaqvs.jpg

And welded it to my brackets as a gusset to add lots of strength.

To avoid putting too much heat into my brackets and distorting them and because it didnt really need continuous weld all the way around, I chose to do alternate 50mm fillet welds. :icon-cool:

IMG_2329_zpsjnipfmj0.jpg

IMG_2330_zpstzjkrubz.jpg

As the exhaust needed to come through the rear bumper, so its fully protected off road, I need to put a 75mm hole through it.

Picked up a suitable hole saw.

IMG_2299_zpsxnwztzab.jpg

And got drilling.

IMG_2300_zpsecekisiv.jpg

IMG_2301_zpsqurinjxm.jpg

I designed it so that exhaust finishes just inside the rear bumper by 1-2mm.

IMG_2304_zpswr1ypj33.jpg

IMG_2305_zpstiznhzvx.jpg

IMG_2307_zpsnqte98ox.jpg

Once I was happy with the exhaust I removed it to fully weld it.

IMG_2308_zpsnsrz9j82.jpg

I did encounter one major problem though that seriously annoyed me! :angry-screaming:

In order to get this last exhaust section up and over the chassis at the back I needed to remove the rear spring and shock on the passenger side. :doh:

IMG_2309_zpscp2agjar.jpg

IMG_2310_zpswpqibbdl.jpg

IMG_2311_zpsgtclarif.jpg

It was sitting slightly out of alignment, but I had a plan to fix that.

IMG_2312_zpswvwtf3bh.jpg

IMG_2313_zpss43x5eco.jpg

I just needed to add a mount to pick up on the rubber exhaust mount bolted to the chassis.

IMG_2314_zpsbtxywvk0.jpg

IMG_2315_zpsrqxd8hew.jpg

As I couldnt weld a permanent mount to the exhaust as it was already too tight getting the S bend exhaust over and around the chassis, I picked up a 75mm exhaust clamp.

IMG_2316_zpskw5n1za5.jpg

Bent up a piece of 2mm stainless steel and welded it to the exhaust clamp.

IMG_2317_zpsi6a58fbx.jpg

IMG_2318_zps1gdugfxu.jpg

IMG_2319_zpss2cg6vcm.jpg

IMG_2320_zps6i6sabgy.jpg

Slotted the holes to give me some adjustment.

IMG_2321_zps5npa5tgm.jpg

Bolted it on and I was now able to pull the exhaust over to exactly where I wanted it. :dance:

IMG_2323_zpschd3cmxf.jpg

IMG_2322_zpsexittz6i.jpg

IMG_2325_zpswgrviqbe.jpg

I then removed the bumper sections and welded in those little plates on the top that were needed, fully welded the mounting brackets on, drilled some 40mm holes for my reverse lights and welded on some half chain links to hook the mudflap chains on to.

IMG_2326_zpsp8cdzjmh.jpg

IMG_2327_zpsm1kmmwcb.jpg

IMG_2328_zpsgwis79sf.jpg

I then set the grinders up, one with an 80 grit flap wheel, the other a 60 and spent an hour smoothing all the welds down.

IMG_2333_zpsytyaam0l.jpg

Before finally wiping them down with thinners and spraying them black with the spray gun. :icon-cool:

*When were back in Melbourne and I can get good quality work done by reliable companies at a fair price again, they will get shot blast, electro plated and powder coated. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2334_zps5b7w2tge.jpg

IMG_2336_zpscyyon5er.jpg

IMG_2337_zpsd7cs79cg.jpg

The next morning I got them on the bench and bolted the LED reverse lights in position.

IMG_2338_zpstivmplfk.jpg

IMG_2339_zpshpdgvkkf.jpg

IMG_2340_zpslgkbgutc.jpg

And bolted them onto the car.

IMG_2342_zpsso0jlvv1.jpg

IMG_2343_zpsi5r4qmjv.jpg

IMG_2344_zpscx1wa7nc.jpg

IMG_2347_zps4naaoxg4.jpg

IMG_2348_zpslo0ner8m.jpg

IMG_2377_zpsft8ojlwc.jpg

IMG_2378_zpsdkts49ey.jpg

Started looking at how the plastics will fit.

IMG_2379_zpsjdqh8wmx.jpg

IMG_2380_zps5p8qeuy5.jpg

IMG_2381_zps0ocqvxq0.jpg

I'm just waiting for my new rear step to arrive from Amayama and then I can finish bolting all the plastics on.

I also need to modify and fit the mudflaps and towbar. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Roof Rack next...........

I would have liked a nice ARB rack but I couldnt justify the expense of them, not now anyway as I've still got lots to buy for this build and the other one. :shifty:

So I went with an alluminium one (to keep weight down as I really dont want to have loads of weight high up on the roof, makes no sense what so ever on a 4wd thats going to be driving some tough tracks) I found on ebay. :icon-cool:

This one.

*mine is slightly different as mine doesn't have a square mesh floor.

IMG_2208_zpsw1agjmeq.jpg

IMG_2209_zps6vwpitup.jpg

IMG_2210_zpsoit2l07r.jpg

IMG_2211_zpsd0vbknd5.jpg

IMG_2212_zpsdzuzkrrg.jpg

IMG_2213_zpsi9xut9dp.jpg

IMG_2214_zps5mr1sewo.jpg

IMG_2215_zpst8z0ytbn.jpg

IMG_2216_zpsfidxauv5.jpg

IMG_2217_zpsje6rhrcr.jpg

IMG_2218_zpsic6gtrge.jpg

IMG_2219_zpsy4lgmlvm.jpg

IMG_2220_zpsxvhaat5c.jpg

IMG_2221_zpslqbrrg3c.jpg

IMG_2222_zpsosjrdoda.jpg

IMG_2223_zpsmu4aqreu.jpg

IMG_2224_zpsqka2evrk.jpg

IMG_2225_zpswtzjwnml.jpg

Went to Brisbane and picked it up from a 3rd party freight warehouse.

IMG_2204_zpski6jap6p.jpg

IMG_2205_zpsx7y6bn9y.jpg

Something else to fill the Queen suite up with! :shifty:

IMG_2206_zpsfpksdet9.jpg

I must say I'm delighted with it! :dance:

The quality has surpassed my expectations! :clap:

Buying it sight unseen through ebay I was skeptical as to how good the quality would be and what all those alluminium welds would be like.

But their all beautiful TIG welds! :character-beavisbu:

IMG_2207_zps3bx9tgfd.jpg

And all the brackets and stainless steel bolts looked good.

IMG_2226_zpsmxyzpurx.jpg

I bolted all the brackets on.

IMG_2403_zpsofwn12bc.jpg

IMG_2404_zpsrnvgojey.jpg

IMG_2405_zpsuih8kmci.jpg

Nice to see it comes with proper rubbers to protect the gutters.

IMG_2406_zpsxozabswn.jpg

IMG_2407_zpsmoz9rvfp.jpg

I drove the 78 out of the garage.

IMG_2416_zpsirmyrqu7.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsdgl3lu1w.jpg

IMG_2420_zpseeetej0h.jpg

IMG_2422_zpswlxxntva.jpg

IMG_2423_zps9mhdqjnh.jpg

IMG_2425_zpssempi1o0.jpg

And my mate came to help me lift the roof rack on.

IMG_2427_zpsfw2vg44d.jpg

IMG_2429_zpsqueyhpzv.jpg

IMG_2431_zpspehrj2ee.jpg

IMG_2433_zpskgqdt3t0.jpg

IMG_2437_zps6bu8pcld.jpg

IMG_2435_zpsgbkoo8cw.jpg

Now the roof rack is fitted it wont fit back in the garage. :doh:

So its been relegated the back garden.

At first light Thursday morning I fitted the rest of the brackets to fix it down to the roof.

IMG_2452_zpslskwiyar.jpg

I actually feel its sitting a bit too high, so I'm going to modify the mounts slightly to drop it down 30mm but I've decided to wait till were back in Melbourne as I've still got so much to do on my LandCruiser's.

IMG_2454_zpsinjqeez9.jpg

IMG_2455_zpsq5bqh127.jpg

IMG_2456_zpsjahq4chq.jpg

IMG_2457_zpsyv7cg7fs.jpg

IMG_2459_zpsnnlbsdgc.jpg

On the front I'm going to fit my Ironman light bar.

IMG_2453_zpsq0leokqu.jpg

Which just happens to be the perfect size! A few mm bigger and it wouldnt fit.

IMG_2465_zpsqwtgblpl.jpg

IMG_2467_zpsxz49kmx1.jpg

IMG_2469_zpsbxxguvuc.jpg

Spare wheel mount went on.

IMG_2272_zpspehonsow.jpg

Dug out a spare wheel from my spare set of wheels.

IMG_2283_zps8fahirm7.jpg

Slightly more negative off set than the wheels fitted but not much and the same width.

IMG_2284_zpsfgn6faa3.jpg

Picked up a cheap 33" BFG KM1 for my spare and got it fitted.

IMG_2285_zpsidulcapv.jpg

And bolted it onto the mount.

IMG_2461_zpsoe8giamg.jpg

Before I could drive it out of the garage I did lots of electrical work in between working on the bumper.

I found this FSM to be very useful.

IMG_2129_zpspdsjbgfr.jpg

This page in particular as it details what wire does what on the connectors going to the instrument cluster.

IMG_2130_zpstclagp8p.jpg

It helped me work out which wire goes to the temp gauge and after confirming which wire going from the ECU to the sensor on the engine was correct I was able to wire it up.

IMG_2132_zpsxcsunnrt.jpg

IMG_2133_zpsrpzbqm7q.jpg

IMG_2134_zpsskrnohxz.jpg

The alternator appears to be charging properly, despite me not being able to work out where the wire is to go to that third terminal on the connector.

IMG_2363_zpskvygpg02.jpg

IMG_2364_zpsmub1sk0d.jpg

I fitted the aftermarket glow plug timer under the dash.

IMG_2369_zpsypqmknhd.jpg

And wired it all up to the relay.

IMG_2371_zpswqziqprl.jpg

Which I mounted in the engine bay.

IMG_2384_zpsqzyiyuii.jpg

IMG_2386_zpsun3lhlsh.jpg

And now when I turn the ignition key on the glow plug light lights up.

IMG_2391_zps7uf1mb7t.jpg

IMG_2392_zpszxs0h7er.jpg

And the timer counts down 10 seconds for the pre heat.

IMG_2390_zpsukffu8l0.jpg

Theres still more work to do on the electrics but for now the dash and interior is almost back together.

IMG_2401_zpsbnc81nbg.jpg

IMG_2402_zpsof3yxosv.jpg

Here is some useful information regarding the child restraint points that I will need for my son, from a question I asked one one of the Facebook groups I'm in.

IMG_2286_zpsbrv3vmro.jpg

IMG_2287_zpslrksa3jk.jpg

IMG_2288_zpsemcxnah1.jpg

IMG_2289_zpsenphjowi.jpg

IMG_2290_zpschprswa6.jpg

IMG_2291_zpsq2lwoha2.jpg

IMG_2292_zpskc2nrfhf.jpg

Right I've run out of time now so the boot fit out and bullbar modifications and fitting will have to wait till next time.

Still lots to do but I'm getting there. :thumbup:

Last edited:
:lol: :thumbup:

OK update time! ;)

The cap off the rear diff lock actuator came up ok after a few coats of paint, not perfect as it is a bit pitted, but ok.

View attachment 130983

I stuck the magnets back in position with silicon.

View attachment 130984

And bolted it all back together.

View attachment 130985

View attachment 130986

Refitted it to the diff, but stil lthe diff lock wouldnt engage when turning the switch. :doh:

Then I found some damaged wiring that goes to the diff lock actuator, attached to the chassis at the back and one of the vehicle.

View attachment 130987

View attachment 130988

That got soldered and heat shrunk.

View attachment 130989

But still the bloody thing wont work. :icon-mad

So I will need to follow all the problem solving procedures in the FSM.

The big job over the last few weeks has been the rear bumper.

I put some masking tape on the body work to protect the paint work and started working out where I needed to cut my freshly folded steel in order to create the rear bumper.

View attachment 130990

The end behind the rear wheels would need cutting on an angle, the same as the body work so that the standard mud flaps would work.

View attachment 130991

And the other end needed cutting out to fit around the rear lights.

View attachment 130992

View attachment 130993

I made a cut which allowed the wing to fit inside the rear section a little.

View attachment 130994

And then marked the other cuts.

View attachment 130995

View attachment 130996

Couldnt decide how best to do the notch around the lights.

View attachment 130997

But in the end I went for a nice round cut out.

View attachment 130998

View attachment 130999

View attachment 131000

View attachment 131001

A bit more cutting.

View attachment 131002

View attachment 131003

View attachment 131004

Followed by a cardboard template of the piece of steel I would need to fill in the corner with.

View attachment 131005

View attachment 131006

Once I was happy with the sections I had cut for the passenger side I copied those measurements onto the drivers side sections and cut them so both sides were identical.

View attachment 131007

And clamped them in position.

View attachment 131008

View attachment 131009

View attachment 131010

View attachment 131011

View attachment 131012

View attachment 131013

View attachment 131014

Started tacking it together with the MIG.

View attachment 131015

View attachment 131016

View attachment 131017

View attachment 131018

View attachment 131019

I cut the steel for the corners.

View attachment 131020

And bent them in the vice.

View attachment 131021

View attachment 131022

Tacked in position.

View attachment 131023

View attachment 131024

Other side.

View attachment 131025

View attachment 131026

View attachment 131027

I needed to fill in around the rear lights next.

View attachment 131028

View attachment 131029

View attachment 131030

View attachment 131031

View attachment 131032

Clamped a sheet of copper underneath the rear section, the reason being if I just used normal steel then it would probably end up welded to the bumper, where as by using a piece of non ferrous copper underneath there is no chance of it sticking to the ferrous steel above. :ugeek:

View attachment 131033

View attachment 131034

View attachment 131035

View attachment 131036

View attachment 131037

Next I needed to fill in the rounded section but as the little sheet metal roller I've got is only meant for 1mm sheet I couldnt roll the sheet myself.

View attachment 131038

Instead I cut a section out of some pipe.

View attachment 131039

View attachment 131040

View attachment 131041

View attachment 131042

Last piece went in.

View attachment 131043

And then the whole thing could be removed to be fully welded.

View attachment 131044

Back to the bumper the next day and I had turned the car around as I had taken it for a test drive.

View attachment 131045

View attachment 131046

The passenger side was all welded.

View attachment 131047

But the drivers side wasnt.

View attachment 131048

View attachment 131049

So the same as the other side...........

View attachment 131050

Opted to do all the cutting and grinding outside this time though as the amount of dust in the garage from the previous day was crazy!

View attachment 131051

Cut the end cap pieces.

View attachment 131052

And set about welding them on.

View attachment 131053

This weeks top tip.

If your going to be grinding the welds down aftewards as you want nice rounded corners, never cut the metal to come right to the edge, otherwise you will end up grinding all your weld away and whatever your making will fall apart. :)

Instead you want the edges to be set back roughly half the thickness of the metal, so in this situation 1.5mm roughly all the way round. :ugeek:

View attachment 131054

View attachment 131055

To manage distortion from all the welding heat going into the metal, put plenty of little tacks on all the way round.

Dont make the tacks too big or they will affect the weld going all the way around and could cause little bumps.

View attachment 131056

Once tacked its time to run round with the MIG.
I genuinely believe you could teach monkeys to MIG weld, it really isnt difficult! :obscene-moneypiss:

Sure it takes practice to get good welds but its not difficult. Once the gas pressure, wire speed and amps are all set properly on the machine its just a case of having the correct torch angle, keeping the torch the correct distance from the metal, moving along at the correct speed for what speed you have the machine set to.:think:

For these welds all I did was move along with the torch, no weaving, wiggling, nothing, nice comfortable position, steadying myself on the bench and weld. :icon-cool:

View attachment 131057

View attachment 131058

View attachment 131059

Once that one was welded I did the same on the other section and then they were both almost finished.

View attachment 131060

View attachment 131061

I needed to make the brackets to attach them next.

So I nipped out and got some steel.

View attachment 131062

Cut the 100mm x 100mm x 6mm angle first.

View attachment 131063

Marked where the holes needed to be to pick up on 2 of the chassis cross member captive nuts.

View attachment 131064

Decided as I didnt want any visible fixings on my bumper, to use M8 bolts through the captive M10 nuts in the chassis.

So bolted the angle sections in position and then spot welded the M8 nuts on.

View attachment 131065

Then I tacked the bumper sections to the angle.

View attachment 131066

View attachment 131067

Cut some more 3mm sheet for the other mounts, these will be sandwiched between the 10mm thick towbar mounts and the chassis.

View attachment 131068

Used some punches to mark through the cardboard for where the chassis captive nuts are.

View attachment 131069

Then marked and drilled the 3mm sheet.

View attachment 131070

Bolted them in position.

View attachment 131071

And tack welded them to the bumper section.

View attachment 131072

I looked at how the plastic sections will look when they bolt back on next.

View attachment 131073

And realised I'd cocked up. :icon-redface:

View attachment 131074

So I would need to weld some more steel on to fill in the gaps.

View attachment 131075

Decided I'd come back to that once the bumper sections were next removed and instead turned my attention to the other mounts that were necessary to add some much needed strength to the wings.

For this I used 75mm x 10mm steel.

View attachment 131076

View attachment 131077

Apologies for the dark pics, but these are the brackets pushed into position.

View attachment 131078

View attachment 131079

Found some mounting bolts for them.

View attachment 131080

And marked and center punched them ready for drilling.

View attachment 131081

View attachment 131082

Drilled them on the pillar drill.

View attachment 131083

And bolted them to the chassis.

View attachment 131084

View attachment 131085

View attachment 131086

Cut a 200mm long piece of 100mm x 6mm corner to corner.

View attachment 131087

And welded it to my brackets as a gusset to add lots of strength.

To avoid putting too much heat into my brackets and distorting them and because it didnt really need continuous weld all the way around, I chose to do 50mm fillet welds. :icon-cool:

View attachment 131088

View attachment 131089

As the exhaust needed to come through the rear bumper, so its fully protected off road I need to put a 75mm hole through it.

Picked up a suitable hole saw.

View attachment 131090

And got drilling.

View attachment 131091

View attachment 131092

I designed it so that exhaust finishes just inside the rear bumper by 1-2mm.

View attachment 131093

View attachment 131094

View attachment 131095

Once I was happy with the exhaust I removed it to fully weld it.

View attachment 131096

I did encounter one major problem though that seriously annoyed me! :angry-screaming:

In order to get this last exhaust section up and over the chassis at the back I needed to remove the rear spring and shock on the passenger side. :doh:

View attachment 131097

View attachment 131098

View attachment 131099

It was sitting slightly out of alignment, but I had a plan to fix that.

View attachment 131100

View attachment 131101

I just needed to add a mount to pick up on the rubber exhaust mount bolted to the chassis.

View attachment 131102

View attachment 131103

As I couldnt weld a permanent mount to the exhaust as it was already too tight getting the S bend exhaust over and around the chassis, I picked up a 75mm exhaust clamp.

View attachment 131104

Bent up a piece of 2mm stainless steel and welded it to the exhaust clamp.

View attachment 131105

View attachment 131106

View attachment 131107

View attachment 131108

Slotted the holes to give me some adjustment.

View attachment 131109

Bolted it on and I was now able to pull the exhaust over to exactly where I wanted it. :dance:

View attachment 131110

View attachment 131111

View attachment 131112

I then removed the bumper sections and welded in those little plates on the top that were needed, fully welded the mounting brackets on, drilled some 40mm holes for my reverse lights and welded on some half chain links to hook the mudflap chains on to.

View attachment 131113

View attachment 131114

View attachment 131115

I then set the grinders up, one with an 80 grit flap wheel, the other a 60 and spent an hour smoothing all the welds down.

View attachment 131116

Before finally wiping them down with thinners and spraying them black with the spray gun. :icon-cool:

*When were back in Melbourne and I can get good quality work done by reliable companies at a fair price again, they will get shot blast, electro plated and powder coated. :icon-biggrin:

View attachment 131117

View attachment 131118

View attachment 131119

The next morning I got them on the bench and bolted the LED reverse lights in position.

View attachment 131120

View attachment 131121

View attachment 131122

And bolted them onto the car.

View attachment 131123

View attachment 131124

View attachment 131125

View attachment 131126

View attachment 131127

View attachment 131128

View attachment 131129

Started looking at how the plastics will fit.

View attachment 131130

View attachment 131131

View attachment 131132

We all complain about the cost of ready-made steel bumpers, but when you see the amount of fiddling about, getting it wrong, correcting it, decision making etc. that's gone into this, you can see where some of the money goes.

Great job there Ben, a bumper to be proud of, along with the rest of the build.

Ben, I think the simplest solution for the top tether is to fit a cross bar that mounts to the body frame. I think that this could be set against the seat back, and would be the most unobtrusive solution available.

In the QLD requirements it talked about them, but I don't remember seeing them in the VIC ones.

Whatever you do, I'd talk to the engineer first as this is the one time you want to be following the rules... I know you'll over engineer it once you get the briefing of what is needed....

Great job on the bumper mate, looks factory :clap:
When you making them for the 80.

With the locker might seem a daft question, did the magnets go back in correctly? (Ask me how I know lol)

Question for you Ben, are you going to use the hi lift jack for the 78 and if so where are you going to put your mounts. I remember on lj70 you had your mounts on the bumpers. Are you putting rock sliders on it and putting mounts there?

Ben,

The top tether thing has been bugging me... I then decided to look at how they did it in the VDJ76, the current version available in Australia.

Found the owners manual online, and the top tethers seem to be above the rear doors.

Around page 55 onwards in this one (2009 to 2012), and then page 66, and page 58 onwards in this one (2014 to present), and then page 70.

Hope those help - they also look like they'll clear where the drawers would go being mounted much higher up.

Back