Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Build Thread

As above Ben, cracking job as always on that bumper.

I think Gary has confirmed my thoughts as to the magnets possibly jamming the motor. Maybe you need to give it 12v off the car and see what it does.

I'm a bit concerned you may be over charging your batteries at 14.9v, it should be 14.4 max for lead acid. Have you got the voltage sense wire connected straight to the battery via a fuse or fusible link? I can't remember what was wanted but if you need the pinouts of the alternator I may be able to help if you give me the Denso number.

We all complain about the cost of ready-made steel bumpers, but when you see the amount of fiddling about, getting it wrong, correcting it, decision making etc. that's gone into this, you can see where some of the money goes.

Great job there Ben, a bumper to be proud of, along with the rest of the build.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Yeah the amount of time I put into building the rear bumper was crazy and I'm not 100% happy with it. If I was to make them to sell I think it would take 2-3 prototypes before I completely nailed the design.

Of course if I was making them to sell though I would get them laser cut and folded which would make for a nicer bumper and cut down on the amount of welding required. :think:

Ben, I think the simplest solution for the top tether is to fit a cross bar that mounts to the body frame. I think that this could be set against the seat back, and would be the most unobtrusive solution available.

In the QLD requirements it talked about them, but I don't remember seeing them in the VIC ones.

Whatever you do, I'd talk to the engineer first as this is the one time you want to be following the rules... I know you'll over engineer it once you get the briefing of what is needed....

Thanks Ed, that what I was thinking. :thumbup:

I'm thinking of making the frame for the rear storage system out of metal, bolted down to the third row seat mounts so that I will have a solid mounting point for the top tether. :think:

Great job on the bumper mate, looks factory :clap:
When you making them for the 80.

With the locker might seem a daft question, did the magnets go back in correctly? (Ask me how I know lol)

:lol:

I'm pretty certain the magnets went in correctly as they had old adhesive on one end, so they went in that end down. :think:

Question for you Ben, are you going to use the hi lift jack for the 78 and if so where are you going to put your mounts. I remember on lj70 you had your mounts on the bumpers. Are you putting rock sliders on it and putting mounts there?

Yes mate, the high lift jack is the only jack I will use on this vehicle (I will show exactly where its going to be stored on my next update. ;))

On my LJ70 I welded tubes into both bumpers and both ends of the rock sliders for my high lift jack adaptor (I wouldnt use one for wheel changes without one as that would be unsafe).

However I found I only really need the ones on the rock sliders so on this build I am only fitting the tubes into the rock sliders and not the rear bumper or rock sliders. :ugeek:

I also carry a wheel lift mate which is useful for lifting an individual wheel, to put a traction board underneath it. :icon-twisted:

Which reminds me I need to think of some where for my waffle boards to live. :think:

Ben,

The top tether thing has been bugging me... I then decided to look at how they did it in the VDJ76, the current version available in Australia.

Found the owners manual online, and the top tethers seem to be above the rear doors.

Around page 55 onwards in this one (2009 to 2012), and then page 66, and page 58 onwards in this one (2014 to present), and then page 70.

Hope those help - they also look like they'll clear where the drawers would go being mounted much higher up.

I actually asked on the 76 owners page on Facebook last week to find out where the top tether is on the new 76 wagons and as you say its above the rear doors. :)

One guy posted some pics for me but it wasnt very clear, I need to see one in the flesh really to decide whether thats something that could be retro fitted into mine or not. :think:

As above Ben, cracking job as always on that bumper.

I think Gary has confirmed my thoughts as to the magnets possibly jamming the motor. Maybe you need to give it 12v off the car and see what it does.

I'm a bit concerned you may be over charging your batteries at 14.9v, it should be 14.4 max for lead acid. Have you got the voltage sense wire connected straight to the battery via a fuse or fusible link? I can't remember what was wanted but if you need the pinouts of the alternator I may be able to help if you give me the Denso number.

I'm still not 100% sure I will keep the factory rear locking diff. :shifty:

I've got a complete pair of KZJ78 axles from that wreck I got all the parts from, so if the price of the replacement ring and pinion for my locking diff is going to be too high, or it proves too hard to source and/or the actuator in mine is knackered, I may just fit the KZJ78 axles with a set of Eaton E lockers and whack them under the 78. :think:

I want an E locker for the front anyway. :icon-twisted:

Yes now you mention it it always used to put out 14.4v in LJ. :icon-confused:

I believe the voltage sense wire is connected to the battery. I found that when the ignition is on all 3 of these wires going to the alternator (I've only connected 2) become live. :icon-confused:

I'm happy to admit vehicle electrics isnt my strong point, I'm happy and confident to do good quality work with regards to wiring, soldering, crimping etc. but fault finding and knowing what wires to connect where I struggle with. :icon-redface:

Wiring pin out would be good, I dont have a Denso number as its an aftermarket one but it was just an 80 series alternator AFAIK. :thumbup:

Post up a pic of the alternator if you can Ben and I'll forward it to my mate who has a business rebuilding starters and alternators.

Last edited:
Thinking more the correct position for the magnets, there's 2 north and 2 South. They go in alternate N-S-N-S if sequenced wrong the motor won't turn.
If it's got volts going to it and doesn't work it's a possibility.

Also there is often only a tiny gap so the adhesive thickness is critical, though I've no doubt you've got this bit right Ben.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I had no idea the magnets were poled like that! :icon-confused:

I will have to put power directly to it and see if it works or not. :think:

Quite far down the list of jobs at the moment though, I hoped this build would be some where near finished, weeks ago! :shifty:

Everything seems to be taking longer than I'd have liked. :doh:

But I am making slow progress. :)

Rich I will try and get some alternator pics soon, thanks. :icon-wink:

Not certain but the North and South may need to be in a certain position relative to the position of the brushes. One thing for certain they go NSNS around the circle.

On the rest of your post Ben, the first 90% of a job takes 10% of the time. The last 10% takes 90% of the time.

Long time no update! :shifty:

The other carpenter at work hurt his neck a few weeks ago so I've been having to cover for him so havent had any down time really. :sleeping-sleep:

Anyway.........

Work has been progressing well on the 78 and its now on the road and has become my daily drive as I'm selling my Astra. :icon-cool:

I fitted the bullbar.

IMG_2495_zps6ojx25ef.jpg

Followed by the winch.

IMG_2523_zpslwyjsigr.jpg

IMG_2524_zpsok2lxztp.jpg

IMG_2526_zps5cxdfsfv.jpg

Followed by my LED driving lights and UHF aerial.

IMG_2527_zps1jjrwjlq.jpg

IMG_2528_zpsmd3tmjos.jpg

I'm not a fan of these aftermarket amber lights, so they will have to go.

IMG_2534_zpszwrngsx7.jpg

IMG_2533_zpsg6auijjj.jpg

Fitted my LED light bar next which just happened to be the perfect size for my roof rack, literally 5mm longer and it wouldnt have fitted.

IMG_2546_zpshlxveas0.jpg

IMG_2545_zpskty5bk73.jpg

Bolted my steering guard and front recovery points on next.

*I will get these shot blasted and electroplated or powder coated when I get back to Melbourne.

IMG_2565_zpscb0vmlhg.jpg

IMG_2566_zpsdkr9fpqw.jpg

IMG_2568_zpsvgwcp44z.jpg

IMG_2569_zpsfq6effmx.jpg

Rear awning next.

IMG_2548_zpsb1tjes81.jpg

These top quality Aussie made awnings come with some nice 5mm thick stainless steel brackets.

IMG_2549_zpsguyyi9pl.jpg

As I wanted the brackets to be as concealed as possible I needed to adjust them slightly.

Ended up having to put a tube on the handle of my vice to bend it, its bloody hard stuff thick stainless.

IMG_2550_zpswctdcwwv.jpg

IMG_2551_zpsl6zgtunj.jpg

But soon I had my 2 brackets bent to shape.

IMG_2552_zpsc7hxoncz.jpg

Drilled some extra holes.

IMG_2553_zpsqhfwd8el.jpg

And bolted them on.

IMG_2555_zpsp7qhgvmt.jpg

IMG_2558_zpsskfz0jga.jpg

And bolted the awning on.

*I ended up moving the whole roof rack further forwards a few days after this as I didnt like how far back the awning was sitting.

IMG_2562_zpsjui6a0ry.jpg

IMG_2563_zpsrn0psvut.jpg

IMG_2564_zpsu0vwdmu2.jpg

IMG_2576_zpslaqml5cw.jpg

IMG_2577_zpsdxrnhslf.jpg

I fitted my TJM seat covers.

IMG_2570_zpshve7d0gp.jpg

IMG_2572_zps8l3jsoub.jpg

And dash mat.

IMG_2575_zpsd0wtkjku.jpg

I had an Amayama delivery. :dance:

IMG_2658_zpskyzwhelg.jpg

Window strip clips (which turned out to be the wrong ones again. :doh:)

IMG_2660_zpsxzsiqmet.jpg

A nice shiny new rear number plate light housing.

IMG_2661_zpsc9roujtf.jpg

IMG_2662_zpsh6quwhuv.jpg

And my rear step.

IMG_2663_zpsmr0rtulv.jpg

IMG_2664_zpsiqc2xdz1.jpg

I could finally put the rear number plate light assembly together.

IMG_2665_zpsut6diobm.jpg

IMG_2666_zpscwamrtg7.jpg

IMG_2667_zpsjyffbtsa.jpg

And got it fitted. :cool:

IMG_2671_zpso2fcyu5y.jpg

IMG_2672_zpshb3fkwvj.jpg

I modified the towbar next.

IMG_2706_zpsphye3rw9.jpg

IMG_2707_zps9jc1bcs3.jpg

Cut all these brackets off.

IMG_2708_zpsqeqv7qeu.jpg

Bolted the towbar on.

IMG_2710_zpssycd56fw.jpg

IMG_2712_zpseugw2wip.jpg

Bolted on these little plates that the diagonal braces attach to.

IMG_2713_zpspybc37rz.jpg

Trimmed the diagonal braces slightly.

IMG_2714_zpsvntuuhqw.jpg

Held them in position with a magnet.

IMG_2715_zpsut7huyhe.jpg

Tack welded them on.

IMG_2718_zpsbv5xe4ji.jpg

Then got it on the bench to fully weld it.

IMG_2719_zpsfdo6o7sf.jpg

IMG_2720_zpsefpto4gt.jpg

I decided to give the rear bumper another coat of paint along with the freshly modified tow bar.

*Both will be getting shot blasted, electro plated and powder coated once I'm back in Melbourne.

Covered the back of the car.

IMG_2733_zps67nfqstn.jpg

IMG_2734_zpsahbsnmxn.jpg

And masked off the LED reverse lights and exhaust.

IMG_2735_zpsgqtphcri.jpg

And got the towbar on a crate ready for paint.

IMG_2737_zpscvl0swmb.jpg

IMG_2737_zpscvl0swmb.jpg

IMG_2739_zpsllgczjsy.jpg

IMG_2740_zpsrjckvjoc.jpg

IMG_2741_zpsouy64i2b.jpg

IMG_2742_zpsjlkviwfm.jpg

Once the paint was dry I bolted the new step on.

IMG_2831_zps82eyuzst.jpg

IMG_2832_zps1u5issbz.jpg

Followed by the plastic trim pieces for the rear bumper.

IMG_2833_zpsd6zskocr.jpg

IMG_2834_zpss1tiym5w.jpg

Followed by the towbar.

IMG_2836_zpsfzxyqrfd.jpg

IMG_2837_zps1xgxy8a9.jpg

Top plastic trims went on next which fill the gap between the rear bumper and body quite nicely.

IMG_2841_zpszldeph4d.jpg

IMG_2842_zpskknsq6no.jpg

IMG_2844_zpsrf23q0wy.jpg

And that was the rear bumper almost done.

IMG_2845_zpsb3zpnmzz.jpg

IMG_2853_zpsjlbnzlfu.jpg

Mud flaps went on last.

IMG_2856_zpsfzehvkru.jpg

IMG_2857_zpsrggyn4kf.jpg

IMG_2858_zpsnt8yiukd.jpg

As they dont come down far enough and are too high off the ground (Legally)

IMG_2860_zpsxhjuphqo.jpg

I needed to extend them slightly.

Got some rubber matting from work.

IMG_2861_zpsw6s3w3ox.jpg

Cut and drilled some alluminium checker plate.

IMG_2862_zpst7lymazh.jpg

And sourced some chain.

IMG_2865_zpspdnksam0.jpg

And bolted it all together.

*I'm not 100% happy with them and will probably change them in the future, but for now they keep it legal.

IMG_2868_zpseiplt7dz.jpg

IMG_2870_zpsndd81rmr.jpg

They can be chained up out of the way when off road.

IMG_2871_zpsxoae20kn.jpg

Alternator next.

I played around with those 3 wires that went to the alternator, one of which I hadnt previously connected and found with a test light they were all ignition live, but out of the 2 bigger wires one went really bright and the other was slightly dimmer, so I concluded the brighter one was the battery sense wire and connected that to the terminal on that little pic I found showing different alternator terminals and it worked! :dance:

IMG_2721_zpsnqiq9f7g.jpg

A nice healthy charge rate.

IMG_2722_zpsquz3ccu5.jpg

I then soldered the wires together.

IMG_2725_zpsfeco19up.jpg

Followed by heat shrink.

IMG_2726_zpsr0nrsgu8.jpg

IMG_2727_zpsen0l4nms.jpg

IMG_2728_zpsqcqcdlnm.jpg

Tape.

IMG_2729_zps2s8ocfge.jpg

And lastly convoluted/split tube.

IMG_2731_zpsr1ghvlhe.jpg

I borrowed LJ's number plates and took it for a test drive. :shifty:

IMG_2879_zpse8xb6yut.jpg

IMG_2881_zps8zccsrw8.jpg

IMG_2882_zpsrlnbmero.jpg

IMG_2883_zpsdw5c0beg.jpg

A few slight issues with the instruments.

Oil pressure gauge isnt working and engine temp is sitting quite low, it always used to sit on half way in LJ so maybe the temp sender or gauge is slightly different on the 1KZ to the 2lt.

I'm not too worried though as I can get them fixed once I'm back in Melbourne and will be working alongside 2 auto electricians again.

IMG_2885_zpsnfb4bjmv.jpg

IMG_2886_zpspk8i4gtj.jpg

The tacho also isnt working.

IMG_2887_zps6fd9cshm.jpg

Lexi decided to climb into the 78 all by herself the other day when I was working on it in the garden. :icon-biggrin:

She ended up falling asleep on the front seat for an hour. :lol:

IMG_2891_zpsmnatert2.jpg

IMG_2893_zpstdz3zi2s.jpg

I got a stereo fitted and wired up.

IMG_2895_zpsiecpu3xh.jpg

The glovebox went back in.

IMG_2897_zpsgouq79ry.jpg

But I couldnt find the striker plate that the latch clips onto to keep the damn thing closed. :doh:

IMG_2898_renamed_26651_zpsyt3hhsml.jpg

Meant to screw on here.

IMG_2899_zpsbfczdt13.jpg

After wasting an hour looking for it I gave up and order a new one.

IMG_3012_zpsup2mtebk.jpg

IMG_3013_zpsf5sgfibj.jpg

IMG_3014_zpsg1it9omg.jpg

I got it registered! :character-beavisbu:

IMG_2911_zps93fgvo1c.jpg

And the next day the windows got tinted as I was sick of driving around in a giant fish bowl with everybody being able to see me! :shifty:

I refuse to own a car without window tints! :eusa-naughty:

IMG_2961_zpsgsxewkdv.jpg

IMG_2962_zpscbhepekf.jpg

IMG_2964_zpsykk0ilkj.jpg

IMG_2967_zps41buriq3.jpg

IMG_2969_zpsmycivi6q.jpg

Friday I got the aircon gassed up, which is now working beautifully! :occasion-snowman:

And I also picked up a matching awning for the side of the car from the local place that makes them, in their own QLD factory using Australian made canvas. :icon-cool:

Even collecting and paying cash it cost me almost 4 times what a Chinese made one off ebay/from Aldi/one of the unscrupulous 4wd accessory stores/etc. would have cost. :|

But thats the price to support my country and the 4wd accessory manufacturing industry we have here, if no one did the jobs would all go overseas and the money with them. :shifty:

Also when I forgot to peg my rear awning down last year when I had it on LJ and a storm hit overnight, it broke 2 parts on it when it got flung over the roof. Being Australian made I was easily and quite cheaply able to source the replacement parts for it. Not so easy to do that with a cheap Chinese one. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2999_zpscnt7ssia.jpg

IMG_3001_zpsottjsrqu.jpg

OK I'm out of time, its 6:30am now and I've got another big day ahead working on LJ. :shifty:

As soon as I get time I will get the interior fit-out, update up as I've been very busy getting that all done. Its come up great. :thumbup:

*Edit I tried deleting this pic from further up the post as it was a double up and now it keeps appearing at the bottom and wont let me delete it. :icon-evil:

IMG_2555_zpsp7qhgvmt.jpg

Last edited:
Long time no update! :shifty:

The other carpenter at work hurt his neck a few weeks ago so I've been having to cover for him so havent had any down time really. :sleeping-sleep:

Anyway.........

Work has been progressing well on the 78 and its now on the road and has become my daily drive as I'm selling my Astra. :icon-cool:

I fitted the bullbar.

IMG_2495_zps6ojx25ef.jpg

Followed by the winch.

IMG_2523_zpslwyjsigr.jpg

IMG_2524_zpsok2lxztp.jpg

IMG_2526_zps5cxdfsfv.jpg

Followed by my LED driving lights and UHF aerial.

IMG_2527_zps1jjrwjlq.jpg

IMG_2528_zpsmd3tmjos.jpg

I'm not a fan of these aftermarket amber lights, so they will have to go.

IMG_2534_zpszwrngsx7.jpg

IMG_2533_zpsg6auijjj.jpg

Fitted my LED light bar next which just happened to be the perfect size for my roof rack, literally 5mm longer and it wouldnt have fitted.

IMG_2546_zpshlxveas0.jpg

IMG_2545_zpskty5bk73.jpg

Bolted my steering guard and front recovery points on next.

*I will get these shot blasted and electroplated or powder coated when I get back to Melbourne.

IMG_2565_zpscb0vmlhg.jpg

IMG_2566_zpsdkr9fpqw.jpg

IMG_2568_zpsvgwcp44z.jpg

IMG_2569_zpsfq6effmx.jpg

Rear awning next.

IMG_2548_zpsb1tjes81.jpg

These top quality Aussie made awnings come with some nice 5mm thick stainless steel brackets.

IMG_2549_zpsguyyi9pl.jpg

As I wanted the brackets to be as concealed as possible I needed to adjust them slightly.

Ended up having to put a tube on the handle of my vice to bend it, its bloody hard stuff thick stainless.

IMG_2550_zpswctdcwwv.jpg

IMG_2551_zpsl6zgtunj.jpg

But soon I had my 2 brackets bent to shape.

IMG_2552_zpsc7hxoncz.jpg

And bolted them on.

IMG_2553_zpsqhfwd8el.jpg

IMG_2555_zpsp7qhgvmt.jpg

IMG_2555_zpsp7qhgvmt.jpg

IMG_2558_zpsskfz0jga.jpg

And bolted the awning on.

*I ended up moving the whole roof rack further forwards a few days after this as I didnt like how far back the awning was sitting.

IMG_2562_zpsjui6a0ry.jpg

IMG_2563_zpsrn0psvut.jpg

IMG_2564_zpsu0vwdmu2.jpg

IMG_2576_zpslaqml5cw.jpg

IMG_2577_zpsdxrnhslf.jpg

I fitted my TJM seat covers.

IMG_2570_zpshve7d0gp.jpg

IMG_2572_zps8l3jsoub.jpg

And dash mat.

IMG_2575_zpsd0wtkjku.jpg

I had an Amayama delivery. :dance:

IMG_2658_zpskyzwhelg.jpg

Window strip clips (which turned out to be the wrong ones again. :doh:)

IMG_2660_zpsxzsiqmet.jpg

A nice shiny new rear number plate light housing.

IMG_2661_zpsc9roujtf.jpg

IMG_2662_zpsh6quwhuv.jpg

And my rear step.

IMG_2663_zpsmr0rtulv.jpg

IMG_2664_zpsiqc2xdz1.jpg

I could finally put the rear number plate together.

IMG_2665_zpsut6diobm.jpg

IMG_2666_zpscwamrtg7.jpg

IMG_2667_zpsjyffbtsa.jpg

And got it fitted. :cool:

IMG_2671_zpso2fcyu5y.jpg

IMG_2672_zpshb3fkwvj.jpg

I modified the towbar next.

IMG_2706_zpsphye3rw9.jpg

IMG_2707_zps9jc1bcs3.jpg

Cut all these brackets off.

IMG_2708_zpsqeqv7qeu.jpg

Bolted the towbar on.

IMG_2710_zpssycd56fw.jpg

IMG_2712_zpseugw2wip.jpg

Bolted on these little plates that the diagonal braces attach to.

IMG_2713_zpspybc37rz.jpg

Trimmed the diagonal braces slightly.

IMG_2714_zpsvntuuhqw.jpg

Held them in position with a magnet.

IMG_2715_zpsut7huyhe.jpg

Tack welded them on.

IMG_2718_zpsbv5xe4ji.jpg

Then got it on the bench to fully weld it.

IMG_2719_zpsfdo6o7sf.jpg

IMG_2720_zpsefpto4gt.jpg

I decided to give the rear bumper another coat of paint along with the freshly modified tow bar.

*Both will be getting shot blasted, electro plated and powder coated once I'm back in Melbourne.

Covered the back of the car.

IMG_2733_zps67nfqstn.jpg

IMG_2734_zpsahbsnmxn.jpg

And masked off the LED reverse lights and exhaust.

IMG_2735_zpsgqtphcri.jpg

And got the towbar on a crate ready for paint.

IMG_2737_zpscvl0swmb.jpg

IMG_2737_zpscvl0swmb.jpg

IMG_2739_zpsllgczjsy.jpg

IMG_2740_zpsrjckvjoc.jpg

IMG_2741_zpsouy64i2b.jpg

IMG_2742_zpsjlkviwfm.jpg

Once the paint was dry I bolted the new step on.

IMG_2831_zps82eyuzst.jpg

IMG_2832_zps1u5issbz.jpg

Followed by the plastic trim pieces for the rear bumper.

IMG_2833_zpsd6zskocr.jpg

IMG_2834_zpss1tiym5w.jpg

Followed by the towbar.

IMG_2836_zpsfzxyqrfd.jpg

IMG_2837_zps1xgxy8a9.jpg

Top plastic trims went on next which fill the gap between the rear bumper and body quite nicely.

IMG_2841_zpszldeph4d.jpg

IMG_2842_zpskknsq6no.jpg

IMG_2844_zpsrf23q0wy.jpg

And that was the rear bumper almost done.

IMG_2845_zpsb3zpnmzz.jpg

IMG_2853_zpsjlbnzlfu.jpg

Mud flaps went on last.

IMG_2856_zpsfzehvkru.jpg

IMG_2857_zpsrggyn4kf.jpg

IMG_2858_zpsnt8yiukd.jpg

As they dont come down far enough and are too high off the ground (Legally)

IMG_2860_zpsxhjuphqo.jpg

I needed to extend them slightly.

Got some rubber matting from work.

IMG_2861_zpsw6s3w3ox.jpg

Cut and drilled some alluminium checker plate.

IMG_2862_zpst7lymazh.jpg

And sourced some chain.

IMG_2865_zpspdnksam0.jpg

And bolted it all together.

*I'm not 100% happy with them and will probably change them in the future, but for now they keep it legal.

IMG_2868_zpseiplt7dz.jpg

IMG_2870_zpsndd81rmr.jpg

They can be chained up out of the way when off road.

IMG_2871_zpsxoae20kn.jpg

Alternator next.

I played around with those 3 wires that went to the alternator, one of which I hadnt previously connected and found with a test light they were all ignition live, but out of the 2 bigger wires one went really bright and was slightly dim, so I concluded the brighter one was the battery sense wire and connected that to the terminal on that little pic I found showing different alternator terminals and it worked! :dance:

IMG_2721_zpsnqiq9f7g.jpg

A nice healthy charge rate. :biggrin:

IMG_2722_zpsquz3ccu5.jpg

I then soldered the wires together.

IMG_2725_zpsfeco19up.jpg

Followed by heat shrink.

IMG_2726_zpsr0nrsgu8.jpg

IMG_2727_zpsen0l4nms.jpg

IMG_2728_zpsqcqcdlnm.jpg

Tape.

IMG_2729_zps2s8ocfge.jpg

And lastly convoluted/split tube.

IMG_2731_zpsr1ghvlhe.jpg

I borrowed LJ's number plates and took it for a test drive. :shifty:

IMG_2879_zpse8xb6yut.jpg

IMG_2881_zps8zccsrw8.jpg

IMG_2882_zpsrlnbmero.jpg

IMG_2883_zpsdw5c0beg.jpg

A few slight issues with the instruments.

Oil pressure gauge isnt working and engine temp is sitting quite low, it always used to sit on half way in LJ so maybe the temp sender or gauge is slightly different on the 1KZ to the 2lt.

I'm not too worried though as I can get them fixed once I'm back in Melbourne and will be working alongside 2 auto electricians again.

IMG_2885_zpsnfb4bjmv.jpg

IMG_2886_zpspk8i4gtj.jpg

The tacho also isnt working.

IMG_2887_zps6fd9cshm.jpg

Lexi decided to climb into the 78 all by herself the other day when I was working on it in the garden. :icon-biggrin:

She ended up falling asleep on the front seat for an hour. :lol:

IMG_2891_zpsmnatert2.jpg

IMG_2893_zpstdz3zi2s.jpg

I got a stereo fitted and wired up.

IMG_2895_zpsiecpu3xh.jpg

The glovebox went back in.

IMG_2897_zpsgouq79ry.jpg

But I couldnt find the striker plate that the latch clips onto to keep the damn thing closed. :doh:

IMG_2898_renamed_26651_zpsyt3hhsml.jpg

Meant to screw on here.

IMG_2899_zpsbfczdt13.jpg

After wasting an hour looking for it I gave up and order a new one.

IMG_3012_zpsup2mtebk.jpg

IMG_3013_zpsf5sgfibj.jpg

IMG_3014_zpsg1it9omg.jpg

I got it registered! :character-beavisbu:

IMG_2911_zps93fgvo1c.jpg

And the next day the windows got tinted as I was sick of driving around in a giant fish bowl with everybody being able to see me! :shifty:

I refuse to own a car without window tints! :eusa-naughty:

IMG_2961_zpsgsxewkdv.jpg

IMG_2962_zpscbhepekf.jpg

IMG_2964_zpsykk0ilkj.jpg

IMG_2967_zps41buriq3.jpg

IMG_2969_zpsmycivi6q.jpg

Friday I got the aircon gassed up, which is now working beautifully! :occasion-snowman:

And I also picked up a matching awning for the side of the car from the local place that makes them, in their own QLD factory using Australian made canvas. :icon-cool:

Even collecting and paying cash it cost me almost 4 times what a Chinese made one off ebay/from Aldi/one of the unscrupulous 4wd accessory stores/etc. would have cost. :|

But thats the price to support my country and the 4wd accessory manufacturing industry we have here, if no one did the jobs would all go overseas and the money with them. :shifty:

Also when I forgot to peg my rear awning down last year when I had it on LJ and a storm hit overnight, it broke 2 parts on it when it got flung over the roof. Being Australian made I was easily and quite cheaply able to source the replacement parts for it. Not so easy to do that with a cheap Chinese one. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2999_zpscnt7ssia.jpg

IMG_3001_zpsottjsrqu.jpg

OK I'm out of time, its 6:30am now and I've got another big day ahead working on LJ. :shifty:

As soon as I get time I will get the interior fit-out, update up as I've been very busy getting that all done. Its come up great. :thumbup:

Great to see it nearing completion Ben, an inspiring sight.
Do you have a first trip planned?

looking pretty good Ben. Wish they still made them from the factory like that. :)

You will probably find that awning lasts way longer, all the chinese canvas I have seen on camper trailers is inferior quality.

Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with it. :thumbup:

Ben, I wanted to do a trip to Fraser for my birthday but my wife will be too far along in her pregnancy by then. :doh:

So were going down to Byron for a long weekend camping instead. Wont be any 4wding sadly, but we will be camping and I'm hoping to have a solar panel by then so we can be relatively self sufficient without having to start the engine for 3 days. :icon-biggrin:

Not sure when I will get to give it a proper shake down off road, here on the Gold Coast I'm very limited with where I can go. :thumbdown:

Roll on Melbourne where I will once again be spoilt with amazing 4wd opportunities! :dance:

^ And get some VB instead of that XXXX rubbish :)

VB :wtf: :puke-front:

I drink TED or Boags Premium. :icon-cool:

Boags XXX, Coopers Green or Red, or the local Pale Ale is the winner here.

Unfortunately I can only get Boags XXX via Dan Murphy's online...

OK time for an update on the interior fit out. :icon-biggrin:

I purchased the 50 litre Boab tapered water tank that I spotted many months ago.

I suspect it was designed for the back of a 70 series, most likely the Troopy, as it fits perfectly between the wheel arches. :icon-cool:

IMG_2393_zpszzgnpuyj.jpg

While designing the interior fit out I wanted to make sure I could still access the handy underfloor storage area, which was now full of recovery gear.

IMG_2394_zpscbrf2u7c.jpg

IMG_2395_zpstm9snad7.jpg

But the fridge would sit over part of it, so a smaller access flap would be required.

IMG_2396_zpsilnimzuo.jpg

I had also decided that the High Lift jack would fit beautifully above the water tank.

IMG_2398_zpsluvyxuo6.jpg

IMG_2581_zpssel0mlo4.jpg

I'm a huge fan of false floors in 4wd's when setting them up for touring/overlanding. It creates a nice flat solid surface and makes building the system above much easier. :clap:

So it was a no brainer to include one in this build. :icon-biggrin:

I went to Bunnings and bought some structural ply and a few meters of marine carpet.

IMG_2583_zps3padvohy.jpg

And with the rear seats folded up out of the way I could begin building the false floor.

IMG_2584_zpsokh9xqmj.jpg

Made a cardboard template to fit snugly around the wheel arches.

IMG_2588_zpse2ijrlx4.jpg

IMG_2590_zpsbfdkkhhc.jpg

IMG_2591_zpspryyrppo.jpg

And marked and cut the ply.

IMG_2593_zpsve3cc4m2.jpg

IMG_2595_zpseo0zuloa.jpg

IMG_2596_zpsi03meq2q.jpg

IMG_2599_zpswe2mvq9o.jpg

IMG_2601_zps1vnxbfhe.jpg

The false floor will be held down by 4x M10 bolts into captive nuts in the floor pan from the 3rd row seats.

But I wanted to add some brackets at the front of the false floor to add some extra bolts, not that it was really necessary.

Cut and drilled some 40mm x 5mm steel.

IMG_2603_zpshc78uj5m.jpg

They bolt down to the floor with one of the rear seat bolts

IMG_2604_zpsh16hqztc.jpg

And will bolt up into the ply.

IMG_2606_zpshp3rzv1l.jpg

I decided to add a piece of ply under the back edge to help it sit flat on the floor as the rest of the board was sitting on top of the ridges in the floor, but their are no ridges right at the very back, in front of the doors.

IMG_2607_zpsfe4ureaw.jpg

It would also prove to be a useful edge to support the access flap.

*I just wish I had routered it down slightly where the flap sits, to allow for the thickness of the carpet.

IMG_2609_zpsw0i5hkfv.jpg

I worked out where the holes needed to be for the 4 x M10 counter sunk headed bolts.

IMG_2610_zpsnoicd63t.jpg

IMG_2611_zpsqdbrkp2t.jpg

Countersunk them.

IMG_2613_zpswreuyvnc.jpg

And drilled and added the M8 T nuts for the 2 brackets at the other end.

IMG_2612_zps9n4inmdx.jpg

Glued and screwed the strip on the bottom.

IMG_2614_zpsgqzsajdy.jpg

Then it was time for the carpet!

IMG_2615_zps2yd9qlac.jpg

Heres my top tip for this week...........

When upholstering something like this, to get a nice neat finish I like to lay the board down and cut an equal overhang all the way around.

To do this I used a 60mm thick spirit level and ran a knife along the edge of it.

IMG_2616_zps3oae3bux.jpg

I then glued and stapled it to the board, trying to keep the carpet nice and taught.

IMG_2617_zpsuoqzkvl4.jpg

IMG_2618_zpsq0bdv3en.jpg

All done.

IMG_2619_zpsxjzq2gqx.jpg

And sat back in place, it almost didnt need bolting down, it was such a snug fit!

IMG_2620_zpsyxdlrn7o.jpg

IMG_2621_zpsxcj6iega.jpg

IMG_2622_zpshnfqms1q.jpg

IMG_2624_zpskjal2ntl.jpg

Put the water tank and fridge back in.

IMG_2625_zpsvdwvatpq.jpg

Next I needed to cover and fit the flap.

IMG_2623_zpssiypn896.jpg

In hindsight I should have routered that piece of ply I mentioned earlier, as then I wouldnt have had to leave an exposed piece of ply on the bottom of the flap, oh well.

Top side.

IMG_2626_zpsw9mdqfj3.jpg

Underside.

IMG_2627_zpsu8iq5lzh.jpg

Cut and screwed a piece of piano hinge on.

IMG_2628_zpsfojjwtaw.jpg

Fitted it.

IMG_2632_zps1ymxepf3.jpg

IMG_2633_zpsgr85yiwv.jpg

Made a template for the backboard which would run along the full width of the vehicle against the water tank.

IMG_2635_zpsnsnjrlqo.jpg

While busy designing the system I realised that behind the arch on the passenger side, next to the fridge, was a perfect spot for a 20 litre fuel or water can, as and when I need to carry one.

IMG_2637_zpsaglkcnnz.jpg

IMG_2638_zps7cdqf3up.jpg

Behind this I decided I would add a tool storage box, as I've designed this as a touring/camping vehicle, things that wont be needed very often like the tools and high lift jack etc. will be stored out of the way and the drawers and more accessible storage areas will house the everyday items.

IMG_2640_zpsclx4o058.jpg

Back to the backboard.

IMG_2640_zpsclx4o058.jpg

I marked the ply.

IMG_2642_zpssbwzrn93.jpg

IMG_2643_zps0xjisits.jpg

And cut it out.

IMG_2656_zpsxjxvmrno.jpg

I also cut the ply shelf for the top.

IMG_2657_zpsmtnkyfch.jpg

I looked at what cooking gear I will be carrying in the drawers and have designed the height of the drawers to best accommodate everything.

IMG_2668_zpsafmkbvla.jpg

IMG_2669_zps1p8ou7zp.jpg

I got setup outside and started building the drawer system.

IMG_2685_zpsdzpyvjtg.jpg

IMG_2686_zpsvkmj0xok.jpg

IMG_2687_zpspuhwluxi.jpg

IMG_2688_zpsbijn2xpi.jpg

IMG_2689_zpsva4bflny.jpg

IMG_2690_zpsvfyxpitv.jpg

I found some nice thick angle brackets to bolt it all together with.

IMG_2690_zpsvfyxpitv.jpg

IMG_2695_zpsxxjj69tp.jpg

IMG_2697_zps8rpaihoe.jpg

IMG_2698_zpstssa5xnc.jpg

IMG_2699_zpsqxxyblv1.jpg

IMG_2700_zpsezru3x2b.jpg

IMG_2701_zps6njmn8lq.jpg

Lexi will travel on the left and their will be a mesh cargo barrier separating the boot area from the rest of the car, with a central mesh divide to keep her on the left.

IMG_2703_zpsykaqqln1.jpg

IMG_2705_zpslwez1tff.jpg

I upholstered the tool storage box.

IMG_2760_zpsf0q1knxw.jpg

IMG_2761_zpsujvobjks.jpg

IMG_2762_zpsxhnm4q3z.jpg

I made some blocks for the high lift jack to fit into.

*in hindsight I should have made the groove further forwards, it will become apparent why, shortly.

IMG_2770_zpsjtkqagza.jpg

IMG_2772_zpsxtevfyic.jpg

IMG_2773_zpsxiawbodv.jpg

I left one face un-carpeted as they would be screwed on through that face.

IMG_2774_zpscx6abffv.jpg

They were a nice tight fit on the high lift.

IMG_2776_zpshevgtjyw.jpg

IMG_2777_zpsgzo1gt13.jpg

IMG_2778_zps750tr0p2.jpg

IMG_2780_zpslz5qy1c5.jpg

IMG_2781_zpsforv8cbs.jpg

Screwed the high lift jack blocks on.

IMG_2782_zpslapmpyjj.jpg

IMG_2783_zpsb4x0y7e7.jpg

Started carpeting it all.

IMG_2784_zpsl1jekpaf.jpg

IMG_2785_zpsianebdxt.jpg

Screwed the brackets on.

IMG_2786_zpshqmulaal.jpg

IMG_2787_zps9eqi0nzo.jpg

They all got at least 1 M6 bolt going through to a T nut on the other side of the ply.

IMG_2788_zpsji6xsuca.jpg

IMG_2792_zpst7xq22ov.jpg

IMG_2793_zpsns2nvzil.jpg

IMG_2794_zpshm0vx013.jpg

IMG_2795_zpsfx5c1cme.jpg

IMG_2796_zpsckmzgouu.jpg

I mentioned earlier I wish I had made the high lift jack blocks slightly differently and that was because after carpeting them and attaching them I realised the bloody jack wouldnt quite fit because of the jack base. :doh:

So I ended up having to chisel a groove in.

IMG_2797_zpsyjp3a3g3.jpg

I carried on carpeting everything.

IMG_2798_zpsqvdu37vq.jpg

IMG_2799_zps0ixfpu2y.jpg

IMG_2800_zpsabasau6n.jpg

Got it all back i the car.

IMG_2801_zpsnncbac4r.jpg

IMG_2802_zpsrakbj10m.jpg

IMG_2803_zps3zekgcix.jpg

IMG_2804_zpswkwcy4f4.jpg

IMG_2805_zpsqzulxm5z.jpg

IMG_2806_zpsr2dkh0dd.jpg

IMG_2807_zpsuqjn2obt.jpg

IMG_2808_zpskjmmg9lr.jpg

IMG_2809_zpsbuusmuzy.jpg

IMG_2810_zpsbqsl6hi2.jpg

IMG_2811_zpstqrramln.jpg

IMG_2812_zpsyy3itzpa.jpg

IMG_2813_zpsl1i9vewe.jpg

IMG_2814_zpsm77i3e9i.jpg

IMG_2815_zpssedxy5he.jpg

IMG_2984_zpsf6vt5oxm.jpg

IMG_2986_zpshprx4oaz.jpg

IMG_2987_zpsww82vrvu.jpg

I added some brackets to bolt.

IMG_2988_zpsxu4rotym.jpg

IMG_2989_zpsochwu1tu.jpg

Added all the T nuts into the top face of the shelf.

IMG_2990_zpsyusie9gx.jpg

IMG_2991_zps5hbxaaab.jpg

And carpeted it.

IMG_3031_zpsfte8txgg.jpg

I added some rivnuts into the C pillar.

IMG_2992_zpsczjlki1o.jpg

IMG_2993_zps8sbfu8kf.jpg

And added a bracket.

IMG_2994_zpssswn1k2d.jpg

Then everything had to come out again as I remembered I hadnt fitted the brackets to the underside of the false floor, the ones that bolt it down to the rear seat belt mounts. :doh:

IMG_3032_zpswnoixyam.jpg

Bolted them on.

IMG_3033_zpsgvyfdwqa.jpg

IMG_3034_zpsnhzppslj.jpg

And bolted it down.

IMG_3036_zpsnxxqguiu.jpg

IMG_3039_zpshgb7nipe.jpg

With it all bolted back in heres some pics of the setup 90% finished.

Behind the rear seats is the water tank, high lift jack and gas cylinder.

IMG_3043_zpsjuitkxew.jpg

IMG_3044_zpsvbjmof3v.jpg

And with the seats folded back up, I have good usable rear seating for 3 and the shelf in the back is below the height of the rear seats so I can still see clearly out of the back window.

IMG_3045_zpscewzhqw6.jpg

And in the boot this is how the setup looks.

IMG_3047_zps6umdjhay.jpg

IMG_3048_zpskt2llfy6.jpg

IMG_3050_zpsfz1set2l.jpg

IMG_3051_zpss0dyjgjb.jpg

IMG_3052_zpslh7mge6o.jpg

IMG_3054_zps8v6u3qve.jpg

IMG_3056_zpsctrr4zjf.jpg

IMG_3057_zpsvybushql.jpg

I'm in the process now of making the 3 drawer fronts, which will be carpeted ply again, but the drawer boxes will have to wait until I'm back in Melbourne as I want to use the guillotine and folder to make them out of 2.4mm alluminium.

IMG_3059_zpszevfv2cq.jpg

Back