Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Build Thread

Oh boy Ben! I thought I was bad taking up the whole of our spare bedroom with camping stuff. That's made me feel a whole lot better, except it is our only spare bedroom!

I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if Bec ever reads that last statement…:animals-dogrun:

Yep Ben you have a keeper there lad:thumbup:. Great work on that exhaust..........don't suppose you could pop over to Ireland when your going to the UK next time and build one for me:think::shifty::icon-biggrin:

Yep Ben you have a keeper there lad:thumbup:. Great work on that exhaust..........don't suppose you could pop over to Ireland when your going to the UK next time and build one for me:think::shifty::icon-biggrin:

:lol:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I went away motorbike riding and camping last weekend. :icon-cool:

And while I was sorting my camping gear out before I left, I came across some of the camping bits I've been buying up over the last 6 months, these are all bits that will live in one of the drawers in the back of the 78.

My aim is that everything will have a place and there wont be any wasted space in the drawers, so I've been buying products that pack up nice and tight.

IMG_0397_zpsabapvmxv.jpg

IMG_0398_zpsqnervm9v.jpg

IMG_0399_zpsqn9wqf0q.jpg

IMG_0400_zpso9tnjbc6.jpg

These are the 2 means of cooking I will carry, a fold up BBQ plate for cooking over an open fire, in the green canvas bag and a gas stove for when fires arnt allowed.

IMG_0401_zpsouobad5s.jpg

I'm still in the planning stages of the drawers and storage area but I've got a good idea of how I'm going to build it all. :icon-biggrin:

The camping and motorbike riding trip was eawesome! :dance:

But I wished I'd had the 78, fully setup with fridge, solar power, camp lighting, water tank etc. :shifty:

IMG_0410_zpsxbxjfknh.jpg

IMG_0416_zpsem3ungan.jpg

The bike riding was lots of fun and there was lots of jumping! :icon-twisted:

IMG_0436_zpsphvss0ce.jpg

IMG_0433_zpsfzekib8j.jpg

IMG_0434_zpsrilpan0w.jpg

So much so that I've decided I cant sell my bike, so I'm really hoping for a nice tax return next month off the government. :pray:

Work is progressing well on the 78 and I got some pics a few days ago from the panel shop.

They had finished all the bodywork and had got it in the spray booth ready for primer! :dance:

IMG_0456_zpsxxsc1ebm.jpg

IMG_0457_zpsqohsg5al.jpg

IMG_0458_zps5cvz8jpc.jpg

IMG_0459_zps8n6fxwyf.jpg

Theres a chance I might even get it back before the weekend! :icon-biggrin:

I've been busy sorting out more of the parts for it.

I needed to clean all the surface rust off the bits for the rear number plate light.

IMG_0444_zpsol9rb20n.jpg

IMG_0445_zpsfmhpfybt.jpg

The sides off the battery trays.

IMG_0446_zpsrwinjzya.jpg

And the super rare solid axle 1KZ-T engine sump.

IMG_0447_zps2hr0sjkh.jpg

IMG_0448_zpsjp6uvuhr.jpg

Gave them a good clean up with a wire wheel in the grinder.

IMG_0449_zps39x6axfh.jpg

IMG_0450_zpsyfe2nymn.jpg

Then gave them a coat of my favorite, acid based rust convertor.

IMG_0465_zpsci3fqyn8.jpg

I left them to soak overnight, then after giving them all a light sand and a wipe over with thinners they got a few coats of acid etch primer.

IMG_0468_zpssoz9gv4l.jpg

IMG_0470_zpsumdohzfi.jpg

IMG_0480_zpscpeh7fxp.jpg

Followed by some coats of black enamel.

IMG_0483_zps5zds2mgn.jpg

IMG_0485_zpsno0ifxst.jpg

I finished welding the middle section of exhaust.

IMG_0466_zps5sr3cobw.jpg

IMG_0467_zps7uy6rkvw.jpg

I found all the bits I need to convert to manual free wheeling hubs, so I can ditch the unreliable electric hubs.

IMG_0441%20600%20x%20450_zpslwupvyho.jpg

I've had to source one more hub though as one of the spare ones I'd got has got sheared off studs in it. :doh:

IMG_0442_zpslhn41kja.jpg

IMG_0443_zps6bp16idz.jpg

I needed to restore the rear number plate light that had been sprayed rattle can black followed by a layer of the blue primer.

IMG_0454_zpsl4u5tfgj.jpg

IMG_0455_zpspjbsu82b.jpg

An hour of wet n dry sanding later most of the paint was off.

IMG_0460_zpspeqv8l5q.jpg

IMG_0461_zpsifjwxy2t.jpg

I then masked off the area of black that I didnt want painting.

IMG_0462_zpsfv7cbcz8.jpg

And gave it a few coats of grey primer.

IMG_0463_zps7hh3czhw.jpg

Followed by some silver enamel.

IMG_0471_zpsgzwjzxhl.jpg

IMG_0473_zpskdt3fy8n.jpg

Stupidly I didnt let it dry for long enough and when I tried painting the black in around the letters, I lent on it and left marks in the soft paint. :doh:

IMG_0477_zpsubyud7ij.jpg

IMG_0479_zps06k2qjov.jpg

So I sanded it back down, re-masked it and gave it another few coats of silver.

IMG_0487_zpslrold1gx.jpg

I've been cleaning more blue primer off more parts ready to bolt back on.

IMG_0488_zpswpypy0oo.jpg

And I made a start sorting the electric mirrors out.

IMG_0489_zpsb6vhe6vo.jpg

Both of the glass mirrors fitted when I bought the 78 were the wrong ones, not only the wrong shape but they were flat instead of convex. :doh:

The mirrors themselves were also covered in matt black rattle can paint. :thumbdown:

I ordered one replacement piece of glass from Amayama for the drivers side and alrady had a passenger side mirror spare, that I could use the glass out of.

IMG_0490_zpsv0puu6qr.jpg

Managed to remove the glass from the spare mirror without damaging it. Its not in perfect condition but will do for now.

IMG_0491_zpsdnhel1xq.jpg

My spare mirror on the right shows what these mirrors should look like.

IMG_0492_zpsjwpcsyts.jpg

The matt black paint cleans off easily enough as theres no primer underneath it and it hasnt really stuck very well to the chrome.

The bases on the other had are a real mess and needed repainting.

IMG_0493_zpsoxeewujf.jpg

IMG_0494_zps7yvvkxdd.jpg

I gave them a good sand down and ended up getting them nice and smooth with some 800 grit wet n dry paper.

IMG_0495_zpsxvueeudi.jpg

IMG_0496_zpsoj3fl5tl.jpg

They were hung up and given a few coats of acid etch primer.

IMG_0497_zpsyzscpays.jpg

Followed by a few coats of satin black enamel. :icon-cool:

Good progress Ben. Tedious bits to do. Shame about the paint getting spoiled leaning on it. That's the sort of thing I would do. :doh:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IME, all jobs have a ratio, 95% done in 10% of the time and the other 5% takes the remaining 90% of the time...

Keep at it, you'll get there.... :thumbup:

Good progress there Ben. It's them small jobs that when added up take a huge amount of time. When the body is away and you do these jobs then is where you and up gaining time on the project

It's going to look great when built back up.

I found I've got space in my drawers since sorting and organising tools and camping gear, We carry more then we need too.

The black paint was dry on the mirror bases this morning.

So I gave the mirrors a clean up.

IMG_0505_zps6uzdx4pf.jpg

Not perfect as they are a little scratched, but a lot better than they were.

IMG_0506_zpsmbazaldq.jpg

While I was at it I decided to clean the grill up as well.

IMG_0507_zpszfaetgpt.jpg

Not very clear in the photo but I've cleaned the right hand side bottom and the bottom left is still tarnished and dull.

IMG_0508_zpsr5bpwsms.jpg

Cleaned and shiny.

IMG_0510_zpsdf8zqids.jpg

Dull and tarnished.

IMG_0511_zpsuxdu8bp1.jpg

I picked up a grill the other day when I was out picking, that I thought would be perfect for this project, but on closer inspection its a bit damaged, so its become a piece of wall art for now, below my rusty, roached out 40 series grill. :icon-cool:

IMG_0512_zpsjthqdlxz.jpg

IMG_0513_zpsvzb8chgq.jpg

But I did manage to salvage the Turbo badge off it which was missing from the one I cleaned.

IMG_0514_zps23gazwri.jpg

All the square headlight, diesel 70's got a Turbo badge on the grill so I'm glad I've found one for it. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_0515_zpsxoloce7c.jpg

IMG_0516_zpsqmby9a9x.jpg

IMG_0517_zpstv8g9pty.jpg

Last night I got a few texts from my spray painter.

He thinks I'm crazy for requesting pics of it in primer, but he sent me some across anyway! :shifty:

IMG_0500_zpsqc01fgmh.jpg

IMG_0499_zpsgdpslcge.jpg

IMG_0503_zpsrr3cekgn.jpg

Last night he gave it its coats of base coat! :dance:

IMG_0502_zpsln7rvlkj.jpg

IMG_0501_zps4yzajpo3.jpg

IMG_0504_zps8un7vsu1.jpg

This morning it was getting given its clear coats, then its getting cut and polished and tomorrow evening I might get to pick it up! :character-beavisbu:

Lookin' good Ben. Bet you're itching to get it back. :)

So nice to see that blue :puke-front: disappear. I guess it will haunt you in other areas of the truck you cant reach, but the new colour looks fantastic! :thumbup:

I'm normally awake at 4am everyday (not by choice, just wake up and cant get back to sleep :angry-screaming:)

Well today I was awake at 3am! :sleeping-sleep:

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve! :shifty:

Going straight from work this afternoon to see it for the first time and get it loaded on a tilt tray and taken home! :dance:

Anyway...........

I was in the garage at 3:30am this morning, as you do and decided to put the mirrors back together.

Tried pushing the spare mirror back onto the ball mount and cracked the bloody glass! :doh:

IMG_0520_zpsh2l43lis.jpg

So I will have to order a new one. :shifty:

Fitted the new piece of glass to the drivers side.

IMG_0521_zpsadeeh3ie.jpg

IMG_0522_zpstafzxezn.jpg

IMG_0523_zps5db1vpmf.jpg

I had a delivery yesterday, a brand new genuine windscreen seal! :dance:

IMG_0524_zps390wbgsr.jpg

I'm just hoping it fits. :pray:

As I read online that hard top LJ70's have the same windscreen and seal as Troopy's and 79 series utes. :ugeek:

I gave the garage a good tidy up and its now all ready for the 78! :icon-biggrin:

IMG_0533_zps12emzbp9.jpg

IMG_0532_zps2hadmhbw.jpg

If all goes to plan, in 4 hours I will be picking the nice shiny 78 up from the panel shop! :dance:

Im gonna treat myself to some broken studs this weekend Ben! During washing after the last offroading i kind of noticed all bolts holding the manual hub on the passenger side was gone :whistle:

Shame about that mirror Ben. I'm a bit concerned you might be turning into me, cos that's three things I would have done!

We're waiting …:whistle:

Love the colour BTW, well, the base coat anyway. :)

Great work there Ben. Excellently documented and easy to follow :)

The truck already looks lightyears away from the time you got it!

Keep up the updates and the good work!

Hey Ben,

How have you run power to the back of the vehilces? I'm working on a system at the moment and need some inspiration...

After working on it for 27 hours this weekend I'm just about to write a 280 pic update! :sleeping-sleep:

Ed.......I havent started my wiring yet but theres 2 main ways to run power to the back.

1. Under the carpet, inside the vehicle.
2. Underneath the car, running the cables inside the chassis rails, especially good for thick cables for duel battery setups/invertors/rear winches etc as their too big to fit under the carpet and they need to be nicely protected. :ugeek:

Update time. :dance:

So heres some pics that I didnt get until after I'd picked the 78 up from the panel shop, as the guy didnt want to spoil the surprise for me. But they need to go first to keep everything in order. :icon-cool:

So heres the 78 in the spray booth.

IMG_0855_zpsmm1pjtib.jpg

IMG_0856_zpszummkk9w.jpg

I got to the panel shop as planned, Friday afternoon and finally got to see the 78 in paint! :happy-wavemulticol:

We loaded some of the panels and a door in the back of my Astra that I was driving, loaded the bonnet and one of the front guard into the back of the 78 and pushed it outside.

IMG_0541_zps43oe9ghy.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsb3pwn93z.jpg

IMG_0545_zpsl9idkynr.jpg

IMG_0546_zps8so7lpbx.jpg

I couldnt fit everything in with out risk of damaging some of it, so I arranged to pick up this guard.

IMG_0549_zpsf6w5fdk8.jpg

This door and the radiator support panel the next morning.

IMG_0550_zpssu7lnsxs.jpg

The tilt truck soon arrived and the guy got the 78 loaded.

IMG_0552_zpsl1lezroh.jpg

IMG_0553_zpsstgtgqnl.jpg

I followed him home and for the first time in over 3 weeks it started raining. :doh:

Luckily not heavily as the 78 had no glass in it.

IMG_0555_zpsxh0hhyjm.jpg

The panel shop is only 15 minutes from my house so we were soon home and unloading the 78 :banana-angel:

IMG_0556_zpsptgfxokz.jpg

The driver helped me push it into the garage.

IMG_0557_zpswtj45gr6.jpg

IMG_0558_zpsug9k4y0z.jpg

IMG_0559_zpst5gqrsfk.jpg

It was by this point only 3:30pm, but I had to get to a bank appointment and then we were going out for dinner with my in-laws, so no time to play cars for me! :doh:

The next morning I was up again at 3am and by 3:30am I was in the garage. :shifty:

IMG_0560_zpsz84pfvsm.jpg

IMG_0561_zpsxnlhyydw.jpg

Now.......

Time to assess the job the panel shop have done. :think:

They havent done a bad job, its pretty bloody good really. I'd say I'm 90% happy with what they've done.

But they did let themselves down with a few little bits. :thumbdown:

Firstly they didnt bother to clean off the old adhesive on the front passenger door, where weather shields were once fitted.

For this there is no excuse, it would have taken 30 seconds with a razer blade to scrape that shit off. :angry-screaming:

IMG_0563_zpsupbc5rb2.jpg

IMG_0565_zpsxh4e5t6r.jpg

It looks f****** terrible! :icon-evil:

I spoke to the guy about it and hes just like "Oh your weather shields will cover that when they go back on"

Well thats not the point, its not right and its one of the areas he is going to have to put right for me when it goes back in a month or 2! :eusa-naughty:

Moving on to the other issues.............

When I dropped it off I told the guy who was there at the panel shop a few things I wanted/needed doing on the 78.

I actually walked him round the car and showed him a few areas and things I wanted doing and he some how managed to forget all of them and certainly didnt tell his boss or the other guys, supposedly. :angry-screaming:

I wanted them to seam seal the passenger rear door where I had scraped out the old seam sealer to do the rust repair.

So they painted it and didnt bother seam sealing it first. :doh:

IMG_0566_zpscuj3whqg.jpg

IMG_0567_zpsbyprs8yj.jpg

IMG_0568_zps6z4juswt.jpg

The other area I wanted seam sealing was inside the passenger rear arch where I had done the rust repair, as there is a tiny gap.

IMG_0581_zpspr3bmcvk.jpg

IMG_0584_zps6nkfmpc7.jpg

And the other thing the guy forgot was the one thing on the whole car I wanted him to mask and save for me, the Araco sticker on the drivers door.

The bastards removed it. :angry-banghead:

IMG_0572_zpsd2yosdab.jpg

But apart from those issues, it looks great and I'm very happy with the colour and how its come up. :clap:

I will buy some seam sealer and do the seam sealing myself before it goes back to them to paint and I will order a replacement Araco sticker as I want to keep the car looking as original as possible. :icon-ugeek:

So...................

Saturday morning and I unloaded all the panels and door out of the Astra and where else to put them than the Queen suite, our last remaining, usable spare room that my wife had been busy filling with baby stuff in preparation for our first born. :shifty:

IMG_0585_zpsau69vcyp.jpg

IMG_0586_zpsfxx06ise.jpg

IMG_0587_zpsxzhlkjj0.jpg

IMG_0589_zpswzm5tcsw.jpg

IMG_0590_zps33sfrsjl.jpg

IMG_0591_zpss3uceck8.jpg

To be fair I didnt have much choice as the rest of our house is all tiled apart from the lounge which has laminate flooring and I didnt want to put the freshly painted panels down on anything that might chip the paint. :)

With the Astra empty I finally made a start putting it back together! :dance:

Doors first.

IMG_0592_zps8cpha97w.jpg

Dug out all the door parts.

IMG_0593_zpsqc7soyq4.jpg

IMG_0594_zps81qtvnvw.jpg

IMG_0597_zpsyedxidhg.jpg

Fitted the little rubber door stops first.

IMG_0598_zps56ydsdrr.jpg

IMG_0599_zpstygwgvah.jpg

Followed by the striker plates that needed a clean up with some steel wool first.

IMG_0600_zpsrde9fvzl.jpg

IMG_0601_zpswg4kwlbw.jpg

IMG_0602_zpsmbl94uxu.jpg

IMG_0604_zpssnvqdexo.jpg

Front door seals next and it was so nice fitting brand new ones! :icon-cool:

IMG_0605_zpsl3shqgom.jpg

IMG_0606_zpsmryaospa.jpg

Thankfully I labelled everything really well, especially the seals as theres a lot of them.

IMG_0607_zpsuhefkigc.jpg

Passenger side Rear went in next.

IMG_0608_zpsd28n7f9q.jpg

IMG_0609_zpsdb6nihty.jpg

Followed by the drivers side rear.

I found the drivers and passenger side rear door seals, but they needed a clean, like everything else they were covered in paint. :doh:

IMG_0610_zpsexmmndti.jpg

IMG_0611_zpsupukcaln.jpg

I decided to come back to those and do something else.

I fitted the mirrors.

IMG_0612_zpsdhew0lzq.jpg

IMG_0613_zpszqbfqcxq.jpg

Fuel cap and lock.

IMG_0616_zpsnpjwjoxw.jpg

And spotted they had painted over my Diesel sticker. :thumbdown:

IMG_0617_zpsbpjow4dl.jpg

IMG_0618_zpsh49inoku.jpg

IMG_0619_zpst0pwcon1.jpg

Rear lights next.

IMG_0620_zpsmjjehav0.jpg

IMG_0621_zpstkgr2rvo.jpg

IMG_0622_zpsmh5fcedy.jpg

IMG_0624_zpse5bqfoil.jpg

Interior light, door switches next.

IMG_0625_zpsxnxiobow.jpg

Fitted the front 2.

IMG_0626_zpsrag9z2ja.jpg

But the other 2 needed cleaning as they were covered in paint. :thumbdown:

IMG_0628_zpsn6fwsufw.jpg

IMG_0629_zpsry914oas.jpg

So I decided to give a few things a good scrub with some hot soapy water.

One of the major benefits of having a partner who sleeps like a normal person is that they invariably arnt around when you want to do things you know they wouldnt approve of. :shifty:

Like cleaning car parts in the kitchen sink. :lol:

IMG_0630_zpssceclatt.jpg

IMG_0631_zpsjn1p8xbh.jpg

All of the plastic trims off the handles needed the blue primer and matt black paint beneath that layer, cleaning off before I could fit any handles.

IMG_0632_zpsll5oduk0.jpg

IMG_0633_zpswtxbncwc.jpg

They were awkward and slow to clean but it had to be done.

Once clean.

IMG_0634_zps0pwfn9av.jpg

They could be pushed into position on the handles.

IMG_0635_zpsbeinvcgd.jpg

And the handle bolted in position (along with the lock above it)

IMG_0636_zpsx5nwa1ho.jpg

Starting to look good with the clean and shiny chrome mirrors and handles. :icon-cool:

IMG_0638_zpstbed0wul.jpg

IMG_0639_zpsdrestudl.jpg

It was by this point 7am and Lexi and I went off to collect the rest of the panels and door from the panel shop. :character-grommit:

All carefully wrapped up to protect that nice shiny new paintwork.

IMG_0644_zpsk6skzsks.jpg

They all went into the queen suite with the others.

IMG_0646_zpshyqwyebz.jpg

IMG_0647_zpsusm66sod.jpg

IMG_0648_zpszyelphzc.jpg

IMG_0649_zps8q2qrxqu.jpg

And all the blankets, duvet/duna covers and bed sheets, that I'd carefully smuggled out of the house the previous morning while the Mrs was asleep, could be folded up and put away. :shifty:

IMG_0650_zps47b8u8si.jpg

I woke the Mrs up and got her to come and give me a hand to fit the rear rear doors.

All with nice shiny new bolts.

IMG_0652_zpswguhmsph.jpg

IMG_0653_zpsxsyyx6wc.jpg

IMG_0655_zpsmdzsmag4.jpg

*At this point I was blissfully unaware of the horrors that lay ahead with the rear door. :icon-rolleyes:

I mean I knew there was a slight bit of paint damage from when I picked it up and it was stuck to their panel stand, but a tiny bit of paint damage like that can be put right when they fix the other bits. :)

IMG_0660_zps0dzop3fq.jpg

IMG_0661_zpsfehkap7u.jpg

IMG_0662_zpsvrs3bcep.jpg

No, what I soon discovered was that even though they look identical and most people would think they are the same, the rear doors on the 3 door 70/71 are in fact very different to the doors on the 5 door 78/79. :wtf:

The 78/79 slopes forwards 40mm further than on the shorty. :icon-surprised:

Meaning if you fit a door off an LJ70 onto a 78 you end up with a dirty big gap like this! :puke-front:

IMG_0664_zpsl3ekbaqi.jpg

IMG_0665_zpsturdepig.jpg

IMG_0667_zpsfysu0v6k.jpg

IMG_0668_zpsv9542upj.jpg

The reason I didnt use the original door is because its got a huge dent where someone has reversed into something and pushed the spare wheel into the door.

IMG_0672_zpse8g5caiy.jpg

IMG_0673_zpstf5pvn90.jpg

At this point I decided to distract myself with other work on the 78 and try not to think about my monumental cock up! :shifty:

So back to the exhaust.................

And another of my cock ups. :icon-redface:

I didnt have a proper look at the EGT probe or the boss it needed to fit it into my down pipe. I googled VDO EGT size and got a thread dimension of 1/8th so found and ordered a stainless steel boss that size off ebay.

Only when I came to use it I found it was completely the wrong size. :thumbdown:

IMG_0669_zpsjbekhrkp.jpg

When the probe originally came it had a threaded steel boss that I welded into my exhaust, then that double threaded adapter screwed into that and finally the probe screwed onto that. :ugeek:

IMG_0670_zps56iib2kd.jpg

So while I tried in vain to find a suitable stainless steel bung locally I had some good fortune while I was looking around in Supercheap Auto.

I discovered exactly what thread the EGT probe is. :ugeek:

IMG_0651_zpsolfp0fvh.jpg

And in a huge stroke of luck, the second bolt shop I tried had some stainless steel M12 1.25 bolts in stock. :dance:

It was complete chance he had them and he only had 4. He said he would never normally stock stainless steel bolts that size as they are too expensive so nobody wants them. :D

IMG_0671_zpsfrcki2f1.jpg

Now I thought about going to work and using the lathe to make a perfect boss, but decided that would waste too much time and I should just crack on and do it at home.

The first step was to cut it to length.

IMG_0674_zpsjgjaih9y.jpg

Luckily for me the bolts were continuse thread meaning I could actually keep the head on, which will be good if the probe ever becomes seized as it wont damage the exhaust pipe if I can get a spanner on the boss to grip it. :think:

Cut it to length.

IMG_0675_zpsnzhtijvp.jpg

Marked across all the corners to give me the center.

IMG_0676_zpson8eaych.jpg

IMG_0677_zpstj27nq9l.jpg

Then after center punching it it was into the vice on the drill press for the pilot hole to be drilled through.

IMG_0678_zpsq7bjnvv8.jpg

IMG_0679_zpseoft29ul.jpg

Followed by a 6.5mm bit.

IMG_0680_zpsyfv5hcoy.jpg

I gave both sides of the hole a quick clean up with a countersink bit and then it was finished. :icon-cool:

IMG_0681_zpsfxp1g9gf.jpg

IMG_0682_zpsrxyhbysc.jpg

IMG_0683_zpswycxplf4.jpg

Drilled a hole in the down pipe with a step drill.

IMG_0684_zpsux2ps46a.jpg

IMG_0685_zpsyv9jwezh.jpg

Used an M6 bolt to clamp it in position.

IMG_0686_zps7qmhl3aj.jpg

IMG_0688_zps7tkkwspk.jpg

And TIG'd it in position. :icon-twisted:

IMG_0689_zpsuingmvby.jpg

IMG_0690_zpsz7u7u3n5.jpg

IMG_0691_zpsleu6qgyc.jpg

IMG_0692_zpstoybvn0m.jpg

Fitted the EGT probe.

IMG_0693_zpscdlyqebz.jpg

IMG_0694_zpszkipavyr.jpg

I could then finally get the exhaust fitted, which would mean I could then fit the entire front end of panels.

IMG_0695_zpszlzqsqc5.jpg

IMG_0696_zpsnzh5j7m8.jpg

Radiator support and inner arches went on next! :character-beavisbu:

IMG_0700_zpsfuynijii.jpg

Next I assembled my latest tool/toy.

IMG_0701_zpsm1k1q4zt.jpg

Definitely the best $30 I've spent in a long time, dont know how I managed without one for so long, they are incredibly handy. :clap:

IMG_0702_zpsox04ypao.jpg

So now I had some where safe and soft to lay the passenger side front guard while I fitted some bits to it. :icon-cool:

IMG_0703_zpss5vosndy.jpg

These clips had to go on next, these are the M8 nuts that the inner arch bolts to.

IMG_0704_zpsa7byd8f0.jpg

IMG_0705_zpsmsb7nymd.jpg

First guard on. :dance:

IMG_0706_zps9wd0gxdi.jpg

Drivers side next,.

IMG_0707_zpsoaozhw0o.jpg

I needed to fit the new aerial next.

IMG_0708_zpshjqel0zm.jpg

So the end un-screws like this.

IMG_0709_zpshe54i9sw.jpg

That then gets pushed through the hole in the guard.

IMG_0710_zps92mpsmrn.jpg

And bolted on with a bracket at the bottom.

IMG_0711_zpsqimotbkb.jpg

IMG_0712_zpsrzsgtfdr.jpg

IMG_0713_zpse9ou1qx9.jpg

I taped the new cable to the old one to pull it through the bulkhead.

IMG_0714_zpsshjwza70.jpg

Fed the cable through and got the drivers guard on.

IMG_0715_zpsevftqzhn.jpg

IMG_0716_zpsnb6ty8k4.jpg

Radiator went on next.

IMG_0717_zpsoqczsszt.jpg

IMG_0718_zpso4fdwpds.jpg

Followed by the little top panel.

IMG_0719_zpsvticzuhc.jpg

IMG_0720_zpskpdh9trn.jpg

The bonnet catch and the support bracket for the bottom panel.

IMG_0721_zpshdxqtthv.jpg

Fitted the scuttle panel next.

IMG_0722_zpsz2caq9l1.jpg

Found and fitted all the bits back into the radiator support panel next.

IMG_0723_zpsrvaejbvy.jpg

And fitted the bottom panel complete with those sexy new clear lights. :icon-cool:

IMG_0725_zpsyvswdocx.jpg

IMG_0726_zpsznd5uvyi.jpg

IMG_0727_zpslbzfrtd1.jpg

IMG_0728_zpsw5bdvdqw.jpg

IMG_0729_zpsvr6wmppw.jpg

Fitted that iconic badge on the passenger guard next.

IMG_0731_zpshgfrcze1.jpg

I think its a real shame that Toyota stopped these badges with the 70, the 40, 60 and 70 all got them, then they stopped! :thumbdown:

IMG_0730_zpsw6fqngxv.jpg

And that was day one of the reassembly. :sleeping-sleep:

I was pretty exhausted by this point (3pm) but if I hadnt wanted to spend time with my Mrs I think I'd have kept going until midnight as I was loving seeing the truck come back to life with every part bolted back on. :shifty:

*Edit, had to split the update due to a 200 pic limit per post. :crazy:

Last edited:
Back