Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Build Thread

The next morning I had a lie in. :lol:

IMG_0732_zpsmhyebfot.jpg

I unbolted the headlight housings so I could remove the old lights.

IMG_0724_zps8vu1ki8d.jpg

The housings had some surface rust.

IMG_0733_zpsydvhxi1u.jpg

And the chrome surrounds were covered in paint.

Heres a clean one versus a painted dirty one.

IMG_0734_zpsdmqmlfce.jpg

Thankfully the paint comes off pretty easily as it hadnt stuck all that great to the shiny chrome.

IMG_0735_zpsvdu8jcqw.jpg

The housings got a sand and wire brush back, ready for a coat of rust covertor primer.

IMG_0736_zps7vvdbwmz.jpg

While I waited for that to dry I fitted the front mudflaps.

IMG_0737_zpsg5f4x0ag.jpg

New one on the drivers side.

IMG_0739_zpstagllbnz.jpg

And cleaned old one on the passenger side.

IMG_0740_zpskix2sumq.jpg

The Hi-lux triple squirters went on next.

IMG_0741_zps0vspr7wo.jpg

IMG_0742_zps4b8c8tvp.jpg

IMG_0743_zpsx6xmxoba.jpg

I needed to fit the aircon condenser next, this one is out of LJ as the 78 didnt come with one.

IMG_0746_zps7sf57yfu.jpg

Had to remove a few panels to get it in, but it fitted fine.

IMG_0748_zpsccfasp0g.jpg

Pipe work next.

IMG_0749_zpsvqdlujpq.jpg

All connected.

IMG_0750_zpsey8ywzcq.jpg

IMG_0751_zpsryva2hvy.jpg

I also adjusted the bottom panel as I wasnt happy with the gap between it and the guards.

This is the gap I was left with when I fitted it yesterday and it was pretty much the same both sides. :thumbdown:

IMG_0745_zpsa3wod8bb.jpg

I pulled the bottoms of both front guards in and tightened the bolts up to hold them in position.

Much better! :clap:

IMG_0752_zps2qrdnv50.jpg

IMG_0753_zpsxihysard.jpg

Clear side repeater went on next. :icon-cool:

IMG_0755_zpsjequlyw7.jpg

IMG_0754_zpsewp8nqi3.jpg

The little rubber rear headlight covers went on next.

IMG_0757_zpsqwrwco0m.jpg

IMG_0758_zpsbz3te2es.jpg

IMG_0759_zpsrzouvq73.jpg

The headlight surrounds got a coat of black enamel and hung in front of the fan to dry.

IMG_0756_zpsjl9vh3po.jpg

Snorkel next.

IMG_0760_zps4pb1ij9l.jpg

I put some masking tape down the A pillar and sat the snorkel in position.

IMG_0761_zps6hqivx7t.jpg

Marked through the holes in the bracket.

IMG_0762_zpsw9q2x4wx.jpg

Center punched the hole centers, stuck a really powerful magnet to the A pillar to catch all the swarf and put a step drill bit in the cordless.

IMG_0763_zpsxhrvd1td.jpg

All drilled.

IMG_0764_zpsmgtzfe9j.jpg

Used a paint marking pen to paint the bare metal in the hole.

IMG_0765_zpsyw1nkjzf.jpg

Once the paint was dry the plastic inserts could go in.

IMG_0769_zpsbq3o0cry.jpg

IMG_0770_zpsdi5jwkh6.jpg

And then the snorkel could be fully bolted and screwed on. :icon-cool:

IMG_0772_zpskvesgodv.jpg

IMG_0773_zpsi114rha8.jpg

The snorkel is slightly in the way of the aerial but I think it will be ok.

IMG_0774_zpsmxkd4hh9.jpg

I'm sure just extending the aerial to this point should be ok for reception. :think:

IMG_0775_zpswwsk6agm.jpg

IMG_0776_zpsol1l8wvr.jpg

With the paint now almost dry on the headlight surrounds it was time to look at replacing the rusty bolts that held it all together.

I found some replacement bolts but they needed cutting down.

IMG_0777_zpsc6cat3wh.jpg

The way I cut bolts when I have to cut a load the same length like this, is to put one in the vice to the required length and put a mark on the vice jaw where it comes to and then just clamp them all up to that point, for almost identical length bolts. :ugeek:

IMG_0778_zpsl25t2vyy.jpg

IMG_0779_zpspkzw8ude.jpg

And then just run the hacksaw blade along the edge of the vice jaw each time.

IMG_0780_zpsuxnczgzf.jpg

IMG_0781_zps1w7lizhp.jpg

The old headlights were looking pretty rough anyway.

IMG_0782_zpsh5kbkrwg.jpg

IMG_0783_zpsqytm9ddx.jpg

So I'm pleased to be replacing them with these new ones.

IMG_0784_zpshb0lyx2x.jpg

Put the headlight surround in the vice, sat the new light in position, dropped the chrome surround over the top and screwed it on with the new bolts I cut to length.

IMG_0785_zpsv9h5b4ps.jpg

IMG_0786_zpsdejw3izd.jpg

I thought I had been really careful with the springs that hold the headlights to the radiator support panel but I couldnt find them. :doh:

They will be in a carefully labeled snap lock bag some where but they wernt in the boxes with the other bags. :thumbdown:

I thought each headlight had 2 of these springs (but I could only find this old one).

IMG_0787_zps6hnsonjz.jpg

So I went to Bunnings and bought some new springs.

IMG_0788_zpsyxn5hrah.jpg

They were similar diameter and spring force but too long, so they would need modifying.

IMG_0789_zps9jplr2uv.jpg

So into the vice with it for surgery.

IMG_0790_zpsuaqxzoff.jpg

IMG_0791_zpsmt2xxoq4.jpg

Cut the now unwound end off, bent a new hook on it and it was done. :icon-cool:

IMG_0792_zpssnxojjf3.jpg

Did all 4, still thinking each headlight had 2, so I've got 2 for LJ's restoration, once the 78 is finished.

IMG_0793_zpsf4x6ocvz.jpg

Headlights went on next.

IMG_0794_zpsbejxfkdt.jpg

IMG_0795_zpsfqud8vud.jpg

IMG_0796_zpsxqwdpps7.jpg

I fitted the nice new clear side lights to the grill next (thinking I could bolt the whole lot on as one, which I then found out isnt possible)

IMG_0798_zpsfwszrbvp.jpg

IMG_0799_zpsa2mnvfds.jpg

So after removing them from the grill, bolting the grill on and then fitting the side lights, we end up with this magnificent beast! :happy-cheerleaders:

IMG_0800_zpscwnik6k2.jpg

IMG_0801_zps2yfshnsy.jpg

IMG_0802_zpskuitjvqr.jpg

IMG_0803_zpsc6yhpw3d.jpg

Man those clear lights look so much better than the dated orange indicator that was fitted! :text-bravo:

IMG_0804_zpsprt67xyw.jpg

OK..................

The time had come to tackle the rear door debacle! :violence-ak47:

I decided that I would try and bend the door I fitted to suite the opening.

So with my super strong Irwin clamps and some felt covered sanding blocks to protect the paint I began clamping. :icon-neutral:

IMG_0808_zpsgbu4nlkd.jpg

IMG_0809_zpsetiegoxf.jpg

It worked well but I needed even more leverage on the top of the door, so I blocked the bottom out with blocks of wood.

IMG_0810_zpsvtxlsaga.jpg

IMG_0811_zpstvww6cie.jpg

IMG_0812_zpsbqxxipbz.jpg

And it worked really really well! :clap:

IMG_0813_zpsmgz8mxus.jpg

IMG_0815_zpssovzzlkd.jpg

However not only are the tops of the short wheel base/long wheel base at a different angle they are also a slightly different shape.

So even after adjusting the doors via the hinges its not perfect. :icon-mad

IMG_0817_zpsccvjywdr.jpg

One clear difference between the 2 bodies is that on the long wheel base the doors sit out from the body at the rear and the wrap around rear windows butt up to them. As opposed to the shorty where the doors sit inside the C pillars. :think:

IMG_0818_zpsaeqeqi8e.jpg

For this reason I decided to fit the rear side windows next.

First I cleaned all the old tint off the inside.

IMG_0819_zpsingyaytv.jpg

Methylated spirit in a spray bottle and razer bade made light work of the task.

IMG_0820_zpswtzfjh5s.jpg

Then I could flip it over and remove all the paint from the other side.

IMG_0821_zps5tjhdiz3.jpg

IMG_0822_zpsajogxppe.jpg

IMG_0823_zpsb7tkf0qm.jpg

Its bloody hard to remove and time consuming.:angry-screaming:

Steel wool seams to work best but I have to remember to wear gloves because it makes a mess of your thumbs and skin after a while.

IMG_0824_zpsd9elxt3q.jpg

Took over an hour to clean the paint off. :thumbdown:

But then I could finally fit it! :dance:

IMG_0825_zps3ygrkm8a.jpg

Followed by the other side.

IMG_0827_zpsztop3sba.jpg

IMG_0828_zpsql9ame8o.jpg

Fitted the rear door handle.

IMG_0832_zpsbs9ima9g.jpg

IMG_0833_zpscormgsvp.jpg

As well as all the other rear door lock parts, to ensure everything would line up and work with the wrong door.

Side vents went on.

IMG_0834_zpsp7q77ucg.jpg

IMG_0835_zps02gnepdf.jpg

IMG_0836_zpsjz16kstm.jpg

I started cleaning up and fitting the chrome gutter trims.

IMG_0837_zpsxes9oplx.jpg

IMG_0838_zpsfcjxouiv.jpg

This first one took 40 mins to clean the paint off and 30 seconds to fit! :crazy:

IMG_0839_zpsyyjtlxyc.jpg

IMG_0840_zpsce4olplz.jpg

IMG_0841_zpsw46nkocs.jpg

I picked up some free wheeling hubs and the hub I needed to replace my damaged one with this morning. :dance:

IMG_0842_zpscjla9b4z.jpg

And I may have found a rear LJ78 door! :pray:

A local guy has an LJ78 sat in his field, minus all the front doors, front end panels and engine. :)

But it might have a few other little bits and pieces I need hopefully. :pray:

As I'm just not happy with this door, its OK, it will work, it will seal, lock and be dust and water tight. But its not right and its bugging me. :shifty:

IMG_0845_zpsgcenumpn.jpg

IMG_0846_zpswgocvdpi.jpg

IMG_0847_zpsybhwzacg.jpg

IMG_0848_zpscgugkgak.jpg

IMG_0849_zps970jqm0q.jpg

IMG_0850_zpspjp0x0xo.jpg

IMG_0851_zps83gemxfo.jpg

IMG_0852_zpstcbebvfq.jpg

Anyway.....

I've got to go home, thankfully no jobs have come in during the last 6 hours so I've been able to sit down and do this little update and bring you all up to speed on Project 78, but its almost 5pm, which means I get to go home and play cars again! :thumbup:

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Ben my KZJ78 is pretty much the same as your LJ but my aerial is on the passenger side.Is there any indication on your old guard that it may have been there before?Pat

Shame about the doors Ben, what are you going to do long-term, get the old ones straightened / repaired and sprayed?

She looks beautiful though, lovely colour and it'll be like new when you're done! :clap:

Last edited:
Looks great with new clear lense lights in front
Nice to see it being rebuilt

It's looking really good.
Bring up early will come in handy when little one arrives!

Shame about the few issues with the paint but all fixable. Seen worse from the bodyshop at bmw lol.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ben that looks georgous lad. The clear lenses really bring it right up to date

Those clear lights makes that thing look like a modern day 70 series truck! Well worth it :sunglasses:

I share your frustration with the paint shop Ben. When I had mine partially resprayed recently, the guy said to do a snagging list. I don't think he expected over 30 items. Runs, overspray on trim around the doors, pock marks, debris, missed paint, grinding marks etc. But when I picked it back up, fair enough he had attended to everything. Since then I've noticed many areas where he didn't mask too well. Plus he's caught my brand new door top trims with the polishing mop. :angry-screaming:

What is it with paint shops?

Pity about the bank door. I would have bent it too but it's a shame it doesn't fit. I would be cursing myself for that one and replacing it as it would bug me. It's always annoying when the euphoria of this stage is marred by something that hasn't gone right. Still, it's added to your encyclopaedic knowledge of the 70 series. :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. :thumbup:

The rear door is bloody annoying as is the few areas of paintwork that need fixing but I will get it all sorted. :icon-biggrin:

I've found a guy locally who has the remains of a LJ78, basically just a body with the very rear doors still attached and a few bits of interior.

I'm hoping the door will be OK and then I can drop it off to the panel shop and get them to spray it with the rest of the paint they still have mixed up.

I'm also hoping it has good roof gutter chrome trims so I dont have to waste time cleaning paint off my ones. :pray:

Sat down and worked my finances out and I only currently just make ends meet, especially now they have cut all over time at work, for the moment. :doh:

I had a think the other day and decided that I'm setting myself a goal to get out on a 4wd camping trip at least once a month, as it seems such a waste to live up here in this beautiful climate, in this beautiful part of the world, with so many amazing 4wd destinations right on my door step and not get out as often as I'd like. :think:

And I want the 78 finished and usable ASAP! :shifty:

So as I dont want to sell my motorbike I've decided to put myself in a position I've not been in for over a decade, in debt! :icon-neutral:

So I've taken a small bank loan in order for me to be able to get the 78 finished and then at the end of the year when we finally buy our first house and can stop saving 50% of our wages for a house deposit, I will pay it off early and save some interest. :)

So with the money in the bank its time to start spending on this project! :dance:

I've just ordered all the sound deadening and floor insulation for the cab, once thats fitted the interior can go back in. :icon-biggrin:

I've got a $250 order I'm placing with Amayama, which I'm really hoping will be my last with them for a while because their still not that cheap really (I'm sure their getting more expensive, their now almost the same price as Megazip)! :think:

I need to order a silicon bend for my snorkel, one final mandrel bend for the exhaust.

I need to get a load of boring stuff like hoses, oil, filters and bearings.

It needs to go to the aircon place to be gassed up and then the window tinters to turn it from a green house on wheels to cool, private car.

Then I can finally start on the bit I've been most looking forward to on the whole build, fitting out the interior and in particular the back with water tank, fridge, drawer system, cargo barrier etc.

Then last will be the rear bumper, rock slider builds and bullbar modifications. :sleeping-sleep:

I will try and get another update up soon. :thumbup:

View attachment 127813 Ben my KZJ78 is pretty much the same as your LJ but my aerial is on the passenger side.Is there any indication on your old guard that it may have been there before?Pat

Yeah its weird that some 70's got it on the drivers side and some on the passenger side. I had read about it on the IH8MUD forum. :think:

I know it's a pain in the arse having a loan but in the upside you'll get 78 sorted quicker but also more importantly with you getting a house next year, this loan actually inhanses your credit rating as to the bank it'll show your ability to pay off a loan and also save. It's mad but I was always told this.

Thanks mate, very true. :thumbup:

Will definitely help my credit score/history as its not great at the moment as I've never owned a credit card in my life and its over ten years since I last had an over draft or a loan. :think:

+It means I can go shopping for 78 parts and get the car finished quicker! :dance:

Anyway..........

Time for a little update.

The glazing channels out of the doors had some surface rust that needed fixing up before they could be fitted.

IMG_0857_zpsolgj8vpw.jpg

IMG_0858_zpsauzs4yr6.jpg

I cleaned them up with a wire brush in the drill and then left them to soak over night with some of the strong acid based rust killer on them.

Then they got hung up and painted.

IMG_0878_zpsxyussrqn.jpg

The airbox lid also had some surface rust on it.

IMG_0879_zpsrgvoushl.jpg

IMG_0880_zpsocfeuxga.jpg

So that too got cleaned up but this time I used the spray rust killer/primer before giving it a few coats of satin black enamel paint.

IMG_0881_zpsnexekksh.jpg

The glazing channels came up OK and once the paint was dry they were ready to fit.

IMG_0889_zps7dadyxny.jpg

IMG_0890_zpsnp0hkuel.jpg

Bolted them on.

*More evidence in the pic below of where they painted over the old weather shield adhesive. :cry:

IMG_0891_zpsdfmpppg0.jpg

Cleaned the glass.

IMG_0892_zpse3ffxcnr.jpg

And fitted it.

IMG_0893_zpsesh2sjgn.jpg

IMG_0894_zpstjxdveum.jpg

Back ones next, but first I had to pull the old tint off.

IMG_0896_zpsltvbsupj.jpg

IMG_0897_zps8fkvrzsm.jpg

Little piece first.

IMG_0898_zpstaqjnwle.jpg

IMG_0899_zpso4smjjsj.jpg

Followed by the bigger piece.

IMG_0900_zpsagrqzl2z.jpg

One side of the car was now glazed! :dance:

IMG_0901_zpsot0liony.jpg

IMG_0902_zpsi8rrkum0.jpg

I fitted another strip light on the other side of the garage to help me see what I was doing a bit better, as I'm usually working on the car at 4-5am every day and its dark until 6:30am I cant really open the door, + I dont really like people seeing what I'm doing. :shifty:

IMG_0905_zpskha6mdwl.jpg

IMG_0906_zps6peyukn8.jpg

Much better! :icon-cool:

IMG_0907_zpsnaz2x0qa.jpg

Started glazing this side.

Which meant I got to fit my brand new piece of glass that I bought all those months ago from Megazip.net.

IMG_0908_zpsv4qgdpmd.jpg

IMG_0909_zpsxcbiqste.jpg

IMG_0910_zpsa6tea5sd.jpg

IMG_0911_zpsnrpepwli.jpg

I couldnt glaze the drivers door sadly. :thumbdown:

IMG_0912_zpseg4ijajn.jpg

As it turned out the seal was in 2 parts instead of 1.

IMG_0913_zpseupo0jfv.jpg

And it turned out a previous owner had used a section of seal off another car, so the 2 pieces were completely different. :doh:

IMG_0914_zpshfnszd9c.jpg

I also discovered that the rear 2 side door seals were in worst condition that I remembered, from when I removed them so I'm ordering new rear door seals as well as the drivers door glazing channel/rubber that I need to glaze the drivers door. :)

I carried on fitting parts under the bonnet.

This part for the brake booster went on next.

IMG_0859_zps3dr1wpj1.jpg

Followed by the horns.

(apologies for the terrible pics, I would sort this issue out shortly)

IMG_0870_zpsvemcln32.jpg

IMG_0871_zpsedgswlfu.jpg

I made a start working the wiring out.

IMG_0872_zpsoy9zxihq.jpg

IMG_0873_zpskbcpjtud.jpg

Put the washer and coolant bottles in the dish washer. :shifty:

IMG_0860_zpsjvmjoxzn.jpg

IMG_0861_zpseey6ydgg.jpg

Then when they were nice and clean they got bolted on.

IMG_0876_zpsgkvnbxqh.jpg

IMG_0877_zpsiy9wcgbi.jpg

I discovered that both the headlight washer pumps that I had were both knackered. :doh:

So I need to find one off another vehicle as I cant justify the $300 Amayama want for one. :)

IMG_0874_zpsev6mvi4w.jpg

IMG_0875_zpslvyvm9da.jpg

I did some more work cleaning up these door trims and managed to clean up one more using steel wool, but it took over an hour. :thumbdown:

IMG_0882_zpsnvyrt8y2.jpg

I got pissed off with the darkness I was working in in the engine bay and decided to sort it out.

Cut the flex off an old vacuum cleaner.

IMG_0921_zpsme1z6gzb.jpg

And attached it to an old strip light, which I then screwed to the ceiling.

IMG_0922_zps0ttwd7pd.jpg

IMG_0923_zpsmu4ac78f.jpg

Perfect light at last! :dance:

IMG_0925_zpsuv3hf2kf.jpg

IMG_0926_zpsduibbisw.jpg

I fitted the fuel filler neck next and got it all connected up.

IMG_0918_zpsjdkunpvb.jpg

IMG_0929_zpsqjvlohcq.jpg

And I discovered that the panel shop had actually masked my diesel sticker off which was nice.

IMG_0927_zps9ibd3eaq.jpg

I decided the best course of action for the rear door window rubbers would be to fit a spare pair
I had, rather than trying to clean all the paint off them.

IMG_0934_zpsdmvuljgr.jpg

Only they were 20mm too short, so the glass in the long wheel base, 5 door 70's is also a different size, I had previously thought the doors were just a slightly different shape, but I was wrong. :doh:

IMG_0931_zpsihsfzpzo.jpg

IMG_0932_zps2dllkrde.jpg

IMG_0933_zpsugi5okrf.jpg

That was all that gone done this week, as on Friday we went away camping for a few days for my wifes Birthday and I finally got to take her brand new Subaru off road! :icon-twisted:

I even bought her some roof bars for her birthday, so we could attach the Oz Tent RV5 to the roof. :lol:

IMG_0939_zpsqabhkoif.jpg

It went really well and I was very impressed with just what it would drive up and over. :clap:

IMG_0941_zps1rqp3hzl.jpg

The camping was great.

IMG_0946_zpsd4q332ld.jpg

And Lexi enjoyed herself too.

IMG_0945_zps9l2w6kfo.jpg

We got back yesterday lunch time and I then shot straight back out to do some picking. :icon-cool:

I went to the guy who had messaged me on facebook to say he had the remains of a KZJ78 in his field that had rear doors still. :dance:

He and his brother were really nice guys and had a beautiful property up in the hinterland on 7 acres of hilly land with its own mountain stream running through the middle. :clap:

He was a FIFO miner and he buys accident damaged/cheap cars Landcruisers, mainly 100 series with that highly sort after and very valuable multi valve (24 valve) engine which he then fits to 80's, 100's and sells them on for a profit. :icon-cool:

He said he had had 3 x 78's now that he bought for the 1KZ engines, the first 2 he pulled the engines out of and then crushed the remaining vehicles with the excavator. :shock: :cry:

The one I had come to get parts off had thankfully been saved as the ground was too wet and muddy to move it into the scrap pile with the rest.

Someone with a 76 series had bought all the front doors but the back and some of the interior still remained. :dance:

We walked up the steep muddy hill to look at it.

IMG_0969_zpshbebyloy.jpg

IMG_0970_zps8trfo9fl.jpg

IMG_0971_zpsty2b0m0m.jpg

Rear doors, sadly both damaged, but worth getting all the same.

IMG_0972_zpstdiqy40k.jpg

IMG_0973_zpsduiktqjj.jpg

I was in a huge rush as I had to be back as I had a guy coming to buy some 70 parts off me who had travelled a long way.

So I couldnt spend as long there as I'd have liked and I had to leave a few bits that I still want, but hopefully I can do a deal with the guy and go back for them. :)

They very kindly lent me a load of tools including a rattle gun and a wheel barrow and I loaded it all up with parts and pushed it back down.

IMG_0974_zpskrw6nwop.jpg

He did me a great deal and I think they were just happy that these parts were going to be used rather than just going for scrap which is where they would have been going very soon.

I got the Astra loaded.

IMG_0976_zps7tiuowiy.jpg

Got them home and pulled them all out to inspect them.

Got one rear side window (the other was already broken).

IMG_0977_zpsowwerak8.jpg

I believe these stickers are original JDM ones.

IMG_0978_zpsyxyc4qme.jpg

All the chrome roof gutter trims, to save me having to clean paint off my original ones.

IMG_0979_zps6aylk45t.jpg

One dented rear door that I'm hoping to panel beat the dents out of.

IMG_0982_zps3dz6bhnb.jpg

IMG_0983_zpsl8btbnov.jpg

The other rear door is even worse than the other one and sadly the one part I really wanted to be intact, the rear number plate light was smashed. :cry:

I suspect these doors got damaged when he was moving the car/body around with his excavator and they would have been in perfect condition. :doh:

But still the glass, window seal and door seal are all in great condition and not covered in paint like the ones off my 78. :clap:

IMG_0987_zpsqkqmasrr.jpg

A rear anti roll bar/sway bar as my 78 didnt come with one.

IMG_0984_zpskdp6rcdl.jpg

Brake servo, master cylinder, power steering reservoir and power steering pipe.

IMG_0988_zpstr8lbhqa.jpg

Some rear quater door cards/trims. Pretty roached out but they may be of some use.

IMG_0989_zpsyaf6aewl.jpg

A full set of seat belts including the very rear ones. These will be especially useful as now I can replace those disgusting bright red ones that came fitted in the rear of my 78. :dance:

IMG_0990_zps9pgmb8at.jpg

A load of pieces of interior trim, always handy to have and if any of them are better than mine I will replace mine.

IMG_0991_zpsr8y8ykxo.jpg

I was particularly excited to find a center console, the plastic body of it is pretty badly damaged, but the faux leather stick surrounds and hand brake lever surround are in pretty good condition. Amazingly considering the car had no sun roof fitted so they would have been continually getting rained on. :icon-biggrin:

These were a great find as not only were the stick surrounds missing on my 78, but I have since discovered they have been discontinued by Toyota and are no longer available, which I'm now quite happy about because if they hadnt been discontinued I waould have already spend hundreds of dollars buying a pair. :dance:

IMG_0992_zpsqmtlscwm.jpg

IMG_0993_zpsl21nt6k1.jpg

These trim pieces from the drivers footwell were also a great find, especially as they still have the fuse box covers with them. :dance:

The fuse box cover was broken when I bought my 78, so hopefully one of these will have the correct fuse layout and can be used.:icon-biggrin:

IMG_0994_zpssfbqpct5.jpg

IMG_0995_zpsb9pzdwqn.jpg

A few other random parts.

Rear window washer bottle, 4wd vacuum solenoid, interior light lense and some aircon pipes.

IMG_0996_zpsszmqhwkh.jpg

IMG_0997_zpsfrqdg1qa.jpg

I removed the faux leather bits to clean them.

IMG_0998_zpspxtclybv.jpg

Gave them a wash under the tap and gave them a wipe over with a sponge. They still need a bit more of a clean but they are much better.

IMG_0999_zpsxumquntm.jpg

I fitted the new chrome gutter trims this morning.

IMG_1001_zpso0gy1yue.jpg

IMG_1002_zpsalbbxzzl.jpg

Then I removed the rubber door seal, glass and window seal from the new door.

IMG_1004_zps8yh1txtw.jpg

IMG_1005_zps3ujtyhgr.jpg

They will be very useful for my 78 as it will mean I dont have to try and clean paint off the originals, which is quite a time consuming job. :dance:

IMG_1006_zpss5ehwnms.jpg

I also removed all the badges but sadly I think their a bit too far gone to be used. :doh:

But who knows maybe I will clean, sand and repaint them and get them usable. :think:

IMG_1007_zpszrvjruk5.jpg

Oh almost forgot......

I brought the rear number plate light to work to paint the black lettering on.

IMG_0864_zpsr32uk3wa.jpg

IMG_0865_zpss2gqfcmn.jpg

IMG_0866_zpse26cr4li.jpg

But the black enamel paint reacted with the shitty silver paint below and started to melt it. :doh:

IMG_0867_zpsdvffiz33.jpg

So I'm now thinking I will sand all the silver paint off and start again this time using much better quality paint. :think:

In more positive news I've ordered both layers of floor insulation/sound deadener. :dance:

I've ordered the final stainless steel mandrel bend needed to finish the exhaust.

A silicon bend to connect the airbox and the snorkel as I've never been happy with the restrictive bend it came with.

And I've ordered a genuine oil filter so I can change my sump and do an oil change. :icon-cool:

After seeing a few cut open oil filter comparisons over the last year or 2, from various different people, I wont be fitting anything but genuine filters to my LandCruisers from now on.

The after market ones, even from reputable companies arnt a patch on the genuine ones and offer no where near as much filtering and protection to the engine as genuine ones. :ugeek:

I know you're in a hurry, but step by step mate, you're getting there. :thumbup:

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Work is very quiet today, so time for another little update. :dance:

I got some deliveries on Monday. :cool:

Final mandrel bend for the exhaust and a silicon hose to connect the snorkel with the airbox.

IMG_1010_zps8xfwbjyz.jpg

A new oil filter for when I do the sump swap.

IMG_1063_zpshdpsjujm.jpg

I also picked up some coolant and hose to connector the new washer jets to the washer bottle.

IMG_1065_zps7tpjx81a.jpg

And some more steel wool to clean the last of the paint off the window trims.

IMG_1064_zpsrjxpat3v.jpg

And the main delivery was from Car Builders. :dance:

IMG_1011_zpssbjopvwl.jpg

The stage 1 layer of insulation and fitting tools.

IMG_1012_zpsfiggevfi.jpg

IMG_1013_zpszhztqczg.jpg

IMG_1014_zpsw13tblcc.jpg

IMG_1016_zpsct467yho.jpg

And the stage 2, waterproof foam underlay to go on top of stage 1.

IMG_1017_zpsklwtai5w.jpg

IMG_1018_zpsgsnqpqxs.jpg

IMG_1019_zpssmrjkqrm.jpg

My wife informed me her family are coming to stay this weekend and she would need both the Queen and Double suites for them. :doh:

And with barely any room left in the single suite as its full of LJ70 parts, I needed to crack on and get the floor pan insulated so the carpet, seats and all the other interior bits that were in the double suite could go back in the car. :shifty:

First sheet went down.

IMG_1020_zpsjxj98xzf.jpg

IMG_1021_zpsagozbals.jpg

Followed by the second.

IMG_1022_zpsqu9olnno.jpg

IMG_1023_zpsxypqjip1.jpg

With some nice fancy cuts to keep it all neat and the joints tight.

IMG_1024_zpswpffxnnp.jpg

A few more went down.

IMG_1030_zpsarr9rouf.jpg

IMG_1031_zpsfdcke9nj.jpg

IMG_1034_zpswsa4sfvm.jpg

IMG_1035_zpsnjgfym4c.jpg

IMG_1036_zps7gn5xyhi.jpg

It was pretty time consuming, especially as I could only manage to do an hour or 2 at a time, but after a few days it was all down. :dance:

IMG_1039_zpsj16xqkhj.jpg

IMG_1040_zpsptqbwwzx.jpg

I knew I wouldnt have enough to do the entire floor pan, but I thought I would have enough to do all the way up to and under the rear seat, which I did.

The boot will be having a piece of 3/4" ply covered in marine carpet as a false floor which the fridge slide, drawer system, water tank etc. will all be built on top of.

So the boot area of the floor pan will kind of be insulated with that, although I may get some more insulation at some point and also do the boot area. :think:

IMG_1041_zpsoiumy1xs.jpg

IMG_1043_zpsw1mlzcfe.jpg

Then it was time to fit stage 2, the waterproof underlay layer.

Which is basically really dense self adhesive foam.

IMG_1044_zpsojdrvczh.jpg

This was a bit trickier as I found the backing paper that you peal off to stick it down, was too weak and kept tearing off in strips rather than pealing off nicely, like the stage 1 insulation did. :doh:

IMG_1045_zpsyrg5qktg.jpg

IMG_1046_zpsssyddeie.jpg

IMG_1048_zpsmxjdtwxj.jpg

IMG_1049_zpsxfb62pui.jpg

IMG_1050_zps3xnrmacd.jpg

All done! :dance:

IMG_1051_zpsxxlufbah.jpg

IMG_1052_zpskumsars6.jpg

IMG_1053_zpspj2pliyx.jpg

I could then finally fit the carpet. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_1054_zpsomxiqlby.jpg

IMG_1055_zpsbels5ct3.jpg

The 78 never came with the very rear section of carpet sadly. :doh:

Hopefully I will find one one day when out picking. :pray:

For now the false floor will cover the boot section and the rear seats cover the other missing section.

IMG_1057_zpsqrqsuwpu.jpg

I did get the arch pieces though at least.

IMG_1058_zpsgnszamkq.jpg

Rear seats went in next.

IMG_1060_zpsekszx4ch.jpg

Followed by the fronts.

IMG_1062_zpsqjqxvvdi.jpg

For now the 78 has got to store all the parts that still need fitting to it, until I get chance to get them all back on. :thumbdown:

IMG_1067_zpszbplvnvd.jpg

IMG_1068_zpsmig1bbmz.jpg

Not sure when I will get chance to really get stuck into this project but I'm thinking of taking 3 days off work in a couple of weeks and spending a good solid 5 days on it and seeing if I can get it some where near finished. :think:

Oh........almost forgot.

I had seen the Car Builders products online years ago, but hadnt really given it much thought, then I saw one of Andrew St Pierre White's 4xoverland videos on Youtube where he shows you the Car Builders insulation he has bought for the new 70 series Troopy hes currently building in Perth, Western Australia. :icon-cool:

This video:

I'm really hoping this insulation will make the cab of my overland vehicle a much comfier place for me and the family to be, especially as I plan on doing some really big trips in it in the future, like an entire loop of the continent. :icon-biggrin:

BTW I cant recommend Car Builders enough! :clap:

Great product that got delivered the very next day, it came very well packaged and the quality of everything that got delivered has been exceptional!

So I'm very happy and look forward to using it again soon, on my LJ70 soft top build. :clap:

Last edited:
A lot of effort with that insulation, but I also saw Andrew stpierre whites video and it looks like a great idea

Reactions: Ben
Amazing build!
Also had a look at the video some weeks agao when it was published and it convinced me as well to one day tackle my HZJ with some sound and heat insulation! Loved that big heavy mat being used! Unfortunately this product isn't available in Europe and haven't seemed to find a worthy alternative which combines the foam with that tough rubber finish!

Keep up the good work and pictures!

Reactions: Ben
Hi Ben,

Another great build update.

I like insulation a lot and did it to my Lj70 2 years ago. I suggest you to use the deadner to the doors. It changes the sound of the door closing. It feels like its a new 200 series ;) and of course helps sound isolation.

The deaners that we have here are in long rolls. Like 30cmx10m or 10cmx10m.

It got around 3dB sound insulation in idle which actually changes a lot.

My next plan this year is upgrading the deadner with foam.

Last edited:
Good job there Ben. Tbh you've now got me thinking about this with my own project. I was planning on just putting the carpet back in with the crap factory insulation but this looks so much better. For me though it'll be a job for after I have everything else done

Some pictures from my application. In the material that we use they suggest to heat it up with industrial hair dryer. With that way it sticks perfectly.

The materials that you found in Australia are much more professional.

The materials:
Bituself.jpg
simself oto ses yalıtımı bitüself oto ses yalıtımı.JPG

Before application:
1.jpg

Heating:
6.jpg

20141224_113129.jpg
20141224_113134.jpg
6.2.jpg

Back