Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Michelin Cross or Tour Tyres?

Gregh

Hi,
Since new I have used Michelin 275/70/16's on my 80.
In the last couple of years I became more aware that the truck steering seemed vague and had a tendency to follow road imperfections and continuous steering wheel movement would be required to keep it on track.
I gave it to an expert and it resulted in extensive service and replacement of worn suspension and steering.
Things are much improved after a new OME suspension, steering box, bushes and front axle re-build, but I am sure I still don't have the positive steering I think I remember.
The only thing I can put this down to, (only thing left unchanged), is the change in Michelin tyres over the years?
Current Michelin is the Lattitude model and I wonder now what tyres to buy, the Latitude Cross or Lattitude Tour?
I am thinking BFG tyres have a stiffer construction and may help but I hesitate to change to BFG as I believe the ride will be too hard in conjunction with the medium OME suspension.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Regards
Greg

I've used BFG A/T's for the past 16 years on 80's and I like the way they drive on them but one thing I have found is that as the tread wears down the cases become "tired" as well. I guess you just get used to their peculiarities ie, less supportive sidewalls untill you put a new set on then "wow", these are a vast improvement.
I got 80K miles out of my 1st set ( on one Cruiser). I have never found the ride harder than anything else I've ridden on. I suppose the best thing is to ride in another local forum members Cruiser with them on to see if you like them.

Check the toe in is correct. If the front wheels are parallel or toeing out the 80 wanders all over the place. Mine was toeing out ever so slightly but the steering was very unpredictable and alarming. Very relieved when I set the steering in accordance with the WSM.

I had set the toe in correctly years ago but over time the wheels had toed out slightly. This fits in with your story.

Check the toe in is correct. If the front wheels are parallel or toeing out the 80 wanders all over the place. Mine was toeing out ever so slightly but the steering was very unpredictable and alarming. Very relieved when I set the steering in accordance with the WSM.

I had set the toe in correctly years ago but over time the wheels had toed out slightly. This fits in with your story.

I will double check that the toe in was set up.
Thanks for the reply

I've used BFG A/T's for the past 16 years on 80's and I like the way they drive on them but one thing I have found is that as the tread wears down the cases become "tired" as well. I guess you just get used to their peculiarities ie, less supportive sidewalls untill you put a new set on then "wow", these are a vast improvement.
I got 80K miles out of my 1st set ( on one Cruiser). I have never found the ride harder than anything else I've ridden on. I suppose the best thing is to ride in another local forum members Cruiser with them on to see if you like them.

Thanks for your reply. I know of one Landcruiser that I see often but I do not know where he is based. I'll have to flag him down!

Back