Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Monday, not the best day ever.

Most insurers have arrangements with companies like Copart, to dispose of insurance write-offs, so the salvage value can be high for Landies, Landcruisers and similar as they are valuing it as breaking-for-spares, as opposed to the weigh-in value for pure scrappage.

Assessor did say Insurance companies cottoned onto the salvage side of things a while back.

40% salvage is pretty steep. Not easy to decide what to do.

If you go down the breaking route, I'd be interested in discussing the upper tailgate if it is in good condition/ rust free. I don't mean to sound like a circling vulture, but maybe it can help knowing where and how you might be able to recover some of the costs.

Only just saw this thread Trevor, really sorry to see this, gutted. Glad you are ok…

One thing you could rely on is the support from people here, whether to cheer you up or offer their “technical” advice about insurance and accident…

I am sure things will come out good at the other end.

You have more than 100 hours invested in rebuilding that engine and documentary proof of it , so you have no intention of letting it go or paying 40% of the full vehicles value for it .

Trevor did or do you have an agreed value type insurance on your fleet or individual insurance policy for each vehicle with the agreed value attached as this would make a lot of difference to the payout struth the engine got to be worth the 40% as it is let alone the condition of the rest of your truck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No agreed value, but they have valued it a bit more than I insured it for and are paying out on that value, the salvage percentage they aren't budging on and I agree the engine is worth more than that.

The bit I'm not convinced about is where the inner wing meets the A pillar being counted as structural, on a monocoque construction definitely, I'm trying to get an independent engineer to give me a second opinion on this.

Keep plugging away at it Trevor, they will try to fob you off, but often back down in the face of professional paperwork.

In unfortunate coincidence, my sister-in-law had her 2021 Rav4 written off yesterday under similar circumstances, albeit in Dallas TX, as opposed to Her Majesty's industrial estate. The red car just visible over the wing mirror of the Toyota ran a red light and clattered into the front wing at about 30 mph. She walked away with a broken finger from the jerk of the steering wheel, and her doggo broke his hind leg the poor mutt. Car did its job though..

IMG-20211023-WA0001.jpg

When my old vw GTi was written off, they paid out peanut but I argued about my upgrades: leather seats, stereo etc. They allowed me to take all of them back but replaced with the original items. I managed to sell the full set of leather seat separately and that alone made up half of the money they paid for the car.

So keep digging…

Just caught up on this…
Gutted for You Trevor
After all the effort to rebuild it.
A nightmare situation.
Hopefully you can salvage something out of the incident to your advantage
Delighted you were ok

No agreed value, but they have valued it a bit more than I insured it for and are paying out on that value, the salvage percentage they aren't budging on and I agree the engine is worth more than that.

The bit I'm not convinced about is where the inner wing meets the A pillar being counted as structural, on a monocoque construction definitely, I'm trying to get an independent engineer to give me a second opinion on this.

I'd have thought with a ladder chassis, the bodywork is just a nice to have albeit there are a few points where there are safety related bits anchored to the shell.

Good that you are OK though.

So sorry Trevor you're having to go through this. Got to be so heartbreaking when you have cared and worked on the vehicle so much. Grateful you are safe, well and hope you get a good outcome going forward. Best wishes

It took me 1000 hours to restore my first Aston Martin. I stupidly parked it outside the pub and when I came out someone had kicked in both doors and had jumped on the boot, bonnet and roof. Aluminium body. Car was worth about £1500. I decided to try a claim and fortunately the assessor, who restored his own cars, took pity on me. He asked me where I would like to take it and I told him the only place who could tackle it would be the AM factory. He said to drive it down there and get a quote. I did that and got a quote of £5,000. He said to go ahead ! All was done and a year later I sold it to a guy who instantly wrote it off. Same insurers as mine and as prices had shot up they paid him £5000 ! I bought the scrap for £100. I took all the undamaged bits off/out and sold what was left of the body for £100.

We can't see the worst of it in pics but i reckon you cant either until you remove bumper , wing and bonnet . A creased shell and all bets are off but if its only bent then it will bend back again .

An engineer has no way to test strength so if it looks right then it is right . They can test metal thickness so disguising the repair is not an option .

More complex than that Shayne. Had wing, bumper etc off. Insurance want it jigged and measurements recording before being signed off. I don't have the gear, time or dosh so I'm pulling engine/transmission, wheels etc and see if I can sell whats left. Ideally need to find another truck before end of Nov to give me the time to swap engines.

I have a big heart :) indeed, it’a physical abnormality :) though.
LC to stand for LC is what I learned from this club. I wouldn’t have my car with me today without help and advice from the club

Back