Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

The tracks i followed were primarily out of Chris Scotts book. Djebel Sahro is worth while. I did the first time i was out there but had to turn back last tkme because of snow

I had posted a trip report of my second trip http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44703 morocco Many of the tracks Mark mentions are in there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi

I've been following this thread for a while as I've spent a lot of time taking school groups to Morocco. I don't know if it was this thread but I'm sure somebody was thinking about taking a drone out with them.

I've just had an update from one of my contacts and a client of his had been stopped at the border and had his bag searched. When they found out he had a drone he was subjected to what was described as a pretty awful time and the end result was his drone, gopro and various other bits were confiscated.

Might be worth keeping in mind

Rob

Useful info Rob, do you know which border it was? Customs at Tanger Med never seem too keen to rummage through overlanders kit but if you're a local driving a van they'll go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Tanger Med is quite relax indeed. I managed to show up at the border with no papers for the truck. No immatriculation, no insurance, no coc. All left on my desk when I filled in my temporary admission form. Luckily, I didn't forget this form. There were two custom officers at the checkpoint, one young and very strict and one a older and relaxer. So I went to this older guy and asked if he could inspect my truck while I offered him my passport and the form. He asked for a pen. Which I gave him. He opened the backdoor, took a look in the fridge and asked if I had a gun. I said no and he went to his office. After a minute he came back, gave me the form and my passport and wished me 'bon voyage'.....that was it! No further questions. All the other guys who dealt with the young one had to show everything. As our team leader finely pointed out, I was a 'lucky bastard'. I hardly believed it myself that it worked out.
None of the trucks of our group had a serious search, so it was easy.
The rest of morocco was a great adventure! Only one of the trucks had to be transported back to europe because of an electronics failure. You'll never guess which brand......

....sure somebody was thinking about taking a drone out with them.

I've just had an update from one of my contacts and a client of his had been stopped at the border and had his bag searched. When they found out he had a drone he was subjected to what was described as a pretty awful time and the end result was his drone, gopro and various other bits were confiscated.

Might be worth keeping in mind

Rob
Well....the drone will stay in Europe then:(
...we can get some extra cameras and throw them up in the air ;)

Or... we just don't put them in a bag ....

Might be worth waiting to see if Rob can shed any more light on what happened.

Customs at Tanger Med don't normally do more than ask you to open up the back and if you have any pistols. We should be entering on almost the last boat of the day on Sunday night last few years they've been very laid back and I've sailed through.

I really want to see some drone footage of the trip but wouldn't want your friend to risk losing it and facing lengthy questioning just for a bit of video

Could hide it a RTT :)

Cool, I was really worried they were going to ask me about the assault rifles....

I think the same thing every time they ask, no pistols officer but a rpg is in the back :lol:

Every year I keep a track of cost but then forget to add it up :lol:

If someone wanted to research some options for the night in Spain that would be great, I normally just drive until I've had enough and then stop at the first place I find. At a push we could camp in a layby or service station if its allowed. We have to get at least as far as Salamanca on the Saturday night but any further makes Sunday a bit easier which could easily be a 12 hour+ day

One option I might suggest is to try to reach Alba de Tormes, just south of Salamanca. You can stay in Hostal America, which is at the end of the bridge. Ample parking, wifi in bar, rooms/shower fine. Single Euro 24/night, 3 course dinner Euro 9. Then take the SA-120 directly outside hostal and head south to meet with the A-66 to Caceres.

Sorry for the delay. He was coming in by air and was stopped at Marrakech. I'm sure that if its in a vehicle out of sight you will be ok. The usual advice applies about being careful where you use it.

Im looking forward to seeing all the photos!

Last edited:
#Rob, thanks for the info, I suspected it was t the airport I guess the drone showed up on x-raying the luggage and prompted some questions.

Coming in a fully loaded 4x4 with a ferry full of other vehicles probably means no one would ever check, the only time I've had a thorough search was coming into Portsmouth last year.

George, I'd let you friend make his choice with the drone, I think we'd all like to see some footage of the trip from it but if he thinks it too risky fair enough leave it at home:)

One option I might suggest is to try to reach Alba de Tormes, just south of Salamanca. You can stay in Hostal America, which is at the end of the bridge. Ample parking, wifi in bar, rooms/shower fine. Single Euro 24/night, 3 course dinner Euro 9. Then take the SA-120 directly outside hostal and head south to meet with the A-66 to Caceres.

Thanks Mojo I'll add a waypoint into the GPS, its about the right place for a stop :)

George, I'd let you friend make his choice with the drone, I think we'd all like to see some footage of the trip from it but if he thinks it too risky fair enough leave it at home:)
The choice has been made awhile ago!;) ...We( all of us) will be making THE FILM! including birds eye view clips. We've tryed to take the drone apart and put it together today successfully. You get the poit, don't you? ;)

Last edited:
:D :D

The movie of the trip is going to me almost as good as the trip itself, we just need to nail that strapline/name for the trip.........................................

Back