Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

I also always take small value bank notes (euros) easier to pay with if you run out of local currency.

mmm valid point in a way. In some of the more remote areas large denomination notes could be declined if the shopkeeper doesn't have adequate change.

Running out of local currency isn't a problem I've had, most towns will have banks and atms to get cash

Three weeks and we'll be somewhere in Spain for the night, hopefully south of Salamanca

So some erm maybe useful information about Morocco

:animals-dogrun::animals-dogrun::animals-dogrun:

Wildlife

Well you don't see a huge amount really. I've seen foxes, Barbary Squirrels (chipmunk type things), Jerboa (half mouse, half kangaroo). The last Atlas Lion was shot (not by an American dentist) sometime ago so theres not much likely to eat you whilst answering the call of nature. Quite a lot of birds, some bigger than others, we'll probably catch up with the swallows on their way south.

There are snakes and scorpions around but I've not seen a live snake and average one scorpion every 6 years. A friends girlfriend did get stung twice by the same scorpion, buts she's a dozy mare. Like very very bad bee stings apparently s don't touch them. We should see lots of lizards of all sizes.

Mosquitos aren't a big problem but we are camping along the River Draa at times and last time I did we got plagued by them so best to pack some repellent. I've also seen locust swarms before otherwise its beetles, ants and cockroachs

Weather

I hope we have clear blue skies and sunshine for the whole trip and there's a very good chance we will. Temps should be mid 30's day time and 20 or so overnight when we are in the south. Morocco is said to be a cold country with a hot sun. At altitude temperatures will be lower again particularly overnight but still reasonable. I take a 2 season sleeping bag an its often too hot but hasn't ever been too cold. Sitting out in the evening a jumper may be needed occasionally. Basically pack for an English summer holiday and you should be about right. Current long term forecast is exactly perfect, 35 degrees sunny for the next week.

But like an English bank holiday the weather can change for the worse so pack some waterproofs in case we get rain. Either side of my trip last year they had very heavy rain and flash flooding, hopefully we wont get that!

Blah blah, jumper, blah blah blah Kagool, blah, midges, blah blah bah thick socks blah, hat, blah man up.

Cool. Gotcha

Snakes and scorps are cool. I'll be taking my UV torch which makes it way easier to spot scorps at night.

It is bird migration time so we'll see all sorts - if we're lucky - storks, birds of prey, swallows etc so taking a biggish lens too.

Just need to put my rear bumper and carriers back on, roof tent on and an oil service - and chuck clothes and food in. Ready to go otherwise ;)

Watch out for these in the Sahara. The white things are moths that the spider was eating and they were about 1/2 inch long, the spider was the size of the palm of your hand.

Spider.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Loads of burds of pray on the drive through Spain and we could see eagles in the Atlas. Essaouira has Eleonaras Falcons

New ball Joints, clutch and ac recharge and I'm set

Watch out for these in the Sahara. The white things are moths that the spider was eating and they were about 1/2 inch long, the spider was the size of the palm of your hand.

View attachment 21571

HOLY BAT SHIT, if I see one of those I'm off to the nearest hotel

Cool. Hopefully get to spot a camel spider too (solifugidae)

uploadfromtaptalk1442098792367.jpg

Timely reminder. Note to self. Must put 12g Pump action in cab

Heh heh - they're not keen on the light so rush around trying to get in the shade - frequently YOUR shadow :) so it's like you're being hunted ....

Hence the name ...

:text-goodpost: :text-yeahthat: A tad early but Bon Voyage chaps.

Yep, go with that, not at all envious, you jammy barstwards :lol:

3 Weeks and we'll be enjoying a beer in Essaouira

Anyone need to know anything? we all know meeting points? (Tesco, Ferry, Lidl, Campsite)

OK so I go left out the end of our road ......

Simple rule

before lunch sun on left
after lunch sun on right

Oh OK, but what if we don't have time for lunch. Or we're not hungry?

Back