Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

Nice and succinct there Mr Travel Leader.

I like that.

Are we nearly there yet ....

MOT day for the truck today, it passed but with a few advisories

handbrake at end of travel - well that'll be the standard 90 hb adjustment problem. TBH the hb is crap and I always leave it in gear.
minor corrosion on rear brake pipe
Front corrosion - not sure where
osf lower ball joint play - I requested a check on these anyway after recent failure with others on here
osr brake maybe sticking

The garage also checked my clutch, its always whined pulling away when cold but seems to have got worse. They think its borderline but want to talk it through. Bit of a pain as its not an easy drive way job and the cost isn't great having just fitted a new starter I didn't need.............:(

Oh I get it - listing the issues now before you have to get towed around Maroc ;)

Hope you get the important bits done without too much hassle though.

The good news was a £400 tax rebate at the weekend so that'll cover the work and parts. Its only really the ball joint and clutch that are an issue before we go.

I've been sorting some minor corrosion anyway but the front is the winter project

On the fiche what do you enter for mother and father's names? Full name? Married surname? Nom means name, not pre-nom, so is this just same surname as me? Don't know what they'd do with that particularly. it's not like they can ring them!

I would definitely get those front lower ball joints replaced Mark. I got both replaced by Toyota before I went to Morocco. They are one part which could immobilise you in the desert...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andy that's one of the reasons I asked for them to be checked and also in light of the recorded failures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the ferry Algeciras - Tanger Med is running at £166 return so far. £ to € rate is getting better too ;)

Umm not direct ferries. Need to go look it up again sorry. Was really just looking for info sake

good to know Gary, I'll get a quote in the next week or so. I normally buy an open ticket so we're not tied to specific crossing time from Carlos the ticket man

Spoke to the garage today, state of the clutch is a little vague without taking it apart. They said the bite point is low and possible thrust bearing wear but didn't want to predict remaining life span. Rough quote of £4-500 for supply and fitting

On the fiche what do you enter for mother and father's names? Full name? Married surname? Nom means name, not pre-nom, so is this just same surname as me? Don't know what they'd do with that particularly. it's not like they can ring them!

Do not question the force young jedi, just accept it and turn it to your own ends. The fiche works I put parents intial and surname.

Fortunately Gary mailed me with a sensible response earlier arf arf
Surprised at price for crossing
With the daily traffic that must cross someone is sitting in luxury somewhere
Kerrrrching

That was for me and cruiser plus extra height for the roof tent. About the same as Dover to Calais isn't it? For a bit less distance :(

The place I normally go to never worries about height. I hope they'll do a better price with the group size.

Just looking at currency guys. Think I will pay cash Euros for fuel in Spain although I do have one of those travel debit card things that you load up. Don't want to use credit cards as they charge very often and would rather pay as I go rather then get home and be paying for something I don't have any more.

In relation to Dirhams, officially it says you can't get them outside of Morocco. So where do we get them and what method should we use to buy them? Seems daft to convert pounds to Euros then into Dirhams. So is it best to take Stirling cash or again buy using plastic where I'll undoubtedly be charged.

Will there be any Spanish tolls? Also we have the ferry to pay for. Will this be Euros on this side or Dirhams to our fixer, or ££'s to you Mark.

Just trying to get things ticked off my list you know. I don't have any difficulty travelling with cash, unlike my wife who would prefer to take it in some super safe way like a lorry full of iron ore that we have to smelt along the way

1 set of Tolls on the way South and back in Spain around 7 euros. There is possibly anothre very expensive section near Bilboa on the way home - remind me to avoid that section!

We'll pay for the ferry in Spain if we go with the normal ticket agent, cash is probably the best way forward

Dirhams can be go easily in Morocco, as we leave customs there are change places and atms. Cards are very widely used in Morocco it's a mostly cash society. Either take cash and change up at the banks or use the atms. I normally just use the atms

Thanks Mark. I'll go with cash I think and just use a card if I need a top up any any point.

In my experience, ATM is the way to go for non-world currencies.

As Chris implied, any other currency has to be bought, meaning a loss on exchange rates. With an ATM you only have one transaction into any currency, and IMO the rate is comparable with a cash to cash exchange, if not less.

You certainly avoid the danger of being ripped-off when you find yourself strapped for local currency and only shark infested Exchange houses at your disposal.

Back