Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

Your wish is my command

Raid Maroc 2015.jpg

Ooooh I like the bit about dragons. Can we can we can we ....

Err be careful that compass does look very like a crucifix .....:icon-rolleyes:

Can you get that loaded into your sat nav Chris?

Yes, I have read about this. I do a screen shot. Paste it into Word, print it then cut it out. I need to fold it into quarters then if I am right I stick it up my ass?

No, not a clue mate.

You were along the right lines to start with except where it ended up :) Although I'm surprised a problem solver like you didn't think just to use an instamatic camera!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Instamatic? Jeez you must be older than me.

You went to school Mark?

Was that a Thursday?

Yep, and I stayed all day an everythink, innit

image.jpg

Tan Tan, southern most point on our route, can't wait to get into this trip!

We should have time for photos by the Concrete Camels of Tan Tan, and also the Teapot Roundabout in Assa :D

Does it affect your MPG Mussy, having that on your roof?

Don't worry Chris there's one left to go on the roof of your 80 if you look again.

No, I want one that faces the other way ...

Mark - some q's ...

We arrive Santander at 17h30 then drive about 210 miles to Salamanca and bed - on the schedule this is a campsite and I'm cool with that - are you doing a group booking or how will we arrange that? Also - will they let us in at some time close to 22h00??

Day 2 is Salamanca onto the ferry and off to the hotel - about a 450mile day which is pretty long. Appreciate you guys have done this before but I assume timings etc all pan out ok and we don't end up sleeping in the street?? :)

What, if any, vaccinations are usually recommended?? My tetanus is up to date but I see Hepatitis and Typhoid are recommended which seems a bit OTT.

I assume the fiche on Chris Scott's website is still valid and we should all take a few of these all filled in??

And while I'm filling mine in - what's the Port of Entry - the 'proper name' please ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Right then, some sensible questions :D

1. Night stop in Spain - this is undecided at present. We arrive at 17:30 and should be free from customs and on the road for 18:30ish hopefully. We need to get to at least Salamanca that night to make Sunday sensible, the further we get the easier Sunday will be. Last year (on my own) I drove until about half way between Salamanca and Caceres and then found a motel. We can stay anywhere we like, hotel campsite or a service area depending on what people want. At this point we should be 5 vehicles and 5/6 people so shouldn't be too bad finding accommodation. I'm not booking anything for this night as we need some flexibility, probably best to discuss the plan of attack on the ferry.
  2. Sunday is our worst day for travelling. Salamanca to the port is about 7 hours driving/650km, we need to try to stick to a plan to meet up with the others in Algerciras and hopefully get into Morocco for Sunday night. If we cant make the distance we can stop overnight in Spain and get the first ferry Monday. Currently I hope we can get the 18:00 ferry. There is a chance the insurance booth will be closed on sunday night so those without insurance may have a 30km drive uninsured. If this happen we will find a hotel nearby and get insurance Monday morning before heading south. IF WE GET TODAY RIGHT THE NEXT FEW DAYS ARE EASY - IT COULD BE A 12HR+ DAY BUT WIL BE WORTH THE EFFORT
  3. I've not had any jabs for Morocco since my first trip 15 years ago. Check normal travel advice or speak with your doctor. (I have used a Moroccan hospital and got better service than in the UK but remember for at least the desert section we will be at least a days drive from the nearest large cities so carry a good first aid kit and consider the lack of help when considering vaccinations.
  4. Yes the fiche is worth completing and take a stack filled in. Its not Mandatory but we will pass through check points where we will need to show passports and provide this info. Having a pre printed fiche will save a lot of time as everyone get cleared through. I will email an edited version of Chris Scotts, you'll get 3 fiches on one page so print 4 copies and cut them up. I'll post more on paperwork etc later in August
  5. Port of Entry is Tanger Med

Oh I didn't know we were supposed to ask sensible questions. Right.

Will the air in Morocco be compatible with the UK air in our tyres or will we have to empty them and fill them up again once we get off the ferry?
When we're in the desert, how will we know which side of the sand to drive on?
If the Police don't speak English, how will they know what excuses we are giving them?
Will my lights be bright enough?
How much bacon will we need to take with us?
I have heard that the electricity there is 220v. Will this affect my solar panels?

1. No the air in Africa is not compatible with air controlled by the EU, this is why there are borders. Approximately halfway across the straits of Gibraltor, your olfactory sensor will register the change to wild, untamed African air by sensing a spicey exoticness. No need to worry about tyres, African air, being wild, will overwhelm the weaker EU air and force its way into you tyres killing off any remaining EU air
  2. In the desert the right side to drive on is signposted, however no one has installed the signs yet as the relevant department hadn't received the memo
  3. I've been let of for speeding simply by speaking English, excuses are universally understood in any language. DO NOT BRIBE with Bacon
  4. Your lights will not be bright enough. Our EU bulbs are calibrated for high levels of background light pollution. Of course in Morocco there is no light pollution so night time is actually darker. However local customs state the use of headlights is a sign of witchcraft and therefore they are only used to dazzle the oncoming vehicle when its 10m away.........on only so you can see if it the driver is a witch or not
  5. The correct amount of bacon is enough to feed your tour guide a bacon sarnie every morning of the trip
  6. Yes electricity is lower in Morocco, but we are actually 10% closer to the sun so you panels will receive 242V

Back