Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

Cheers George. I shall leave it in your capable mitts.

Hmm, yes. I'm just worried that the spare 24v engine that I am taking won't fit the 12v models..

This might need some sort of Google + method to collate or it will just block the thread up.

But in short, I currently have
Water pump
Main rad hoses
Complete hub and axle rebuild kit - 1 side (bearings, seals, gaskets and an OEM CV, grease etc etc but not felt seals. Not necessary)
Rear axle and hub seals
Starter rebuild kit
Brake pads
All steering ball joints (4)
AC and Alt belts
AC idler pulley bearing
I also have a machined out outer drive flange which is useful if you blow a CV. Swap that for the splined one and it keeps all the crap out of the stub axle but doesn't give drive. Better than a coke can taped over the end.

I am not taking oil filters or anything more than top up oil. You can buy oil and leave the same filter on if needs be.

I also have all the tools, adhesives, gasket paper, pins, nuts, bolts, clips, fuses and so on.

High Lift is carrier mounted so it's fine where it is.

Can I just check something?..................................you are coming in a LC and not a LR Chris?

There are two things here Mark.

1. I don't want to let anyone else down and ruin a trip because of my problems. Not that I think I'll have any.

2. I don't want my trip ruined because someone else isn't prepared. If I can fix it with some of my bits and get us rolling again then we can argue it out later over a cold one.

As for point 1, I haven't had to face that really but as regards point 2, I have to say I feel like International bloody Rescue sometimes. But I don't like to see people stricken.

I've even fixed Landies and Zooks with Cruiser parts in the past. Repaired tyres, axles, diffs and all sorts. But, I'm really only taking things that you can't bodge around or rob bits for.

I take a spare beer or two does that count? Seriously, only joking! I had a serious failure on my first trip and then had the concern that I was effecting the other on my trip enjoying theirs. No one wants that or the stress of break downs that far from home

However there is one of the best scrap yards I've ever seen in Agadir and also a string of Toyota dealerships to get parts from even if they can be slow getting stock from euope if it isn't in country when you need it. Theses with the ingenuity of the average back street garage should mean we all get home eventually

1. I don't want to let anyone else down and ruin a trip because of my problems. Not that I think I'll have any.

2. I don't want my trip ruined because someone else isn't prepared. If I can fix it with some of my bits and get us rolling again then we can argue it out later over a cold one

Exactly! Thats why I decided to bring up the subject. Breakdowns happen unfortunatelly. I feel responcible for every one and believe it should be that way. We'll be a team and should act like one when it's needed. Enough said :)

I take a spare beer or two does that count?
Of course it does! Imagine refilling (not fixing) my empty fuel tanks( 280+ litres) under the hot Moroccan sun and not having a beer or too meantime. Did you imagine that?...Now imagine how much beer is needed if I have to FIX the tanks....Guys check your "passwords" and make sure they're in tact.:) I acctually drink a dosen of beers for the whole year.

I'll take spare hoses(radiator, break, fuel lines...) rebuilt set for master cylinder and calipers...all kind of rubbers,seals,gaskets,O-rings, sufficient amount of lubricants( ATF, DOT3...etc.)Front axle repair kit ( CV, bearings...)break pads.All those spares take relatively little space and are not heavy. Shall I bring along that alternator? The jack stays at home. I'll borrow Chrises if in need ;)...

Last edited:
I have a spare alternator too and I considered it. But then rejected the idea. I have a nearly new one fitted so I hoping it's not going to go wrong. But hey it could.
On a diesel the alternator isn't so critical. You can get a long way on a battery. I have three batteries that will all fit in that bay. I also have solar charging too to top batteries back up even on the move through the CTEK system. We can swap batteries between cars to charge them too. Two main things go wrong with the alternators. One is the bearings. I have stripped and rebuilt more of these than I care to remember and never have I actually pulled a bearing that made me think phew that was close. A noisy, grumbling bearing will go long enough to get you home. I have pulled one and repacked it in the field and it went for another year. The second bit is the electronic diode rectifryer gubbins. These you can't mend. But they can be bought and replaced in a very short time. I would personally just take that bit with the brushes rather than the whole dynamo. Getting the alternator in between those mounting brackets is a right bastard and you have a far greater chance of getting the old one back in that someone else's new one.

In terms of REPAIR rather than spare, I have tyre levers, patches, valves, tools, strips, mushrooms etc and plan to get an inner tube too for my tyre size as a last resort. Tyres have goo in them already.
I have liquid metal, resin, glue, exhaust goop, bandage, radseal, tie wraps, Jubilee clips, perforated metal strip - pretty much every thing.
Assortment of Toyota fixings from 6mm up to 22mm in various lengths metric fine and standard.

I actually have a small record vice and I am looking at a way to mount that say on the tow hitch if needed. Or front bumper. Brilliant to have somewhere solid where you can hammer and bang. It's not a case of being worried, I just love doing this stuff. I could just come in the works SUV with no worries but where's the fun in that?

I have a ridiculous medical kit including all the usual stuff for bites, stings, rashes, Delhi belly, pain killers,Dental kit, Haemostatic blood clotting powder, burn treatment, dressings, bandages etc etc steri-strips and also nylon sutures and suture kit with knowledge of how to use it too. I have no desire to be sewing anyone up, but one false move with a High Lift and suddenly there's a four inch gash in your arm. Only thing I haven't managed to procure is prescription strength painkillers. I mean proper 'take one of these and look the other way whilst we saw your other leg off' sort of thing.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You need on of these

c07ad0fb34955c182aee00df96d3b16c.jpg

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/TrailD-Vise/Towing

Looks like Chris might be heading to the workshop....

CJ,

You've running big wheels and tyres, I'd carry some spare studs if I were you; don't take up much room either!

Already in the box my friend. Never ever snapped a stud though and my last one was on 37's, off road.

It's one thing I am very careful with. I don't use a wheel gun to do them up and I keep the threads very clean in the nuts and on the threads. But IIRC TP had a stud break recently and he's very careful I know.

Already in the box my friend. Never ever snapped a stud though and my last one was on 37's, off road.

Yeah, I know but you've only ever gone to Tesco and back right:teasing-poke:.... But now your going to the dark continent, "where there be dragons"

I have a spare alternator too and I considered it. But then rejected the idea. I have a nearly new one fitted so I hoping it's not going to go wrong. But hey it could.
On a diesel the alternator isn't so critical. You can get a long way on a battery. I have three batteries that will all fit in that bay. I also have solar charging too to top batteries back up even on the move through the CTEK system. We can swap batteries between cars to charge them too.

been there and done that when my alternator failed in the Western Sahara, a day driving swapping batteries got us to the Toyota dealership killed the 4 batteries we had between the 2 trucks. Toyota maroc couldn't get a new unit for 2 weeks and wanted £800! we got one from the scrappy for a lot less but still pricey. I think Toyota Agadir have a rectifier on the shelf I've paid for but didn't collect

At this rate I need nothing except spare jocks socks and toilet paper :)

Seriously I have A bunch of spares and tools too but will only take the minimum I think - weight will break more stuff.

There's piles of us and whilst inconvenient, barring anything major we should be just fine.

My 2p worth

has anyone other than chris, gary and garfieldus emailed me? apparently some emails aren't getting to me atm

George, I'll just go with whatever everyone else is having. Don't make mine a special size. This hasn't turned out quite as I'd originally planned, I'll run with the crowd. I wasn't suggesting stickers; I proposed decals. Essentially the camel etc would be the printed bit which would peel off and go onto the body. There wouldn't be any backing, just all the detail of the image like the Landcruiserclub.net decals. The background would therefore be the colour of your truck. You'd print white to go on a black window and black to go on a silver truck etc. If I read you right, these will actually be square patches?
Sorry catching up on some earlier posts, but I was also hoping for a decal but had begun to wonder as the design progressed wether it would work, but maybe having the text as a decal then the camel separate could work like this

camel.png
words.png

Black on clear wouldn't work for me, mines black! I'd need white on black but it'd work for my with black windows if its possible by printing a negative image.

Last edited:
My car is dark green, so I would need white decals. Would happy to purchase them and some t-shirts for the trip.

Really looking forward to this...

Mussy

Us UK lot will have paid the rest of the ferry today :)

Need to hear from George re the Hotel and I can get that booked just leaving the ferry from Spain to Morocco to sort out before we leave

45 Days :D

Yes got conf today that they have robbed my account for the balance.

ah but in return you get near 5* cruise like experience on board a luxury ocean liner with high class entertainment and Michelin rated catering for a total of 48hours.

Of course you need to drink a lot of duty free to see that experience. In reality it'll be a naff Magic show, karoke and shite catering populated by retired expats of to the Costa Del Chips and paraletic truck drivers

Back