Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

Oh yeah. Well that £500 worth already Gary. If we could find some commonly available drawers that would fit, making these would be a snip. Have you thought about making different sized drawers either side?

All being well should come in around £150 to make them, much cheaper then buying a set that's for sure.

Yeah I've thought about having one side a deep drawer and the other side 2 drawers (one above the other). Also thought about just 2 deep drawers. 850 x 480 x 280mm ish.
I'll start with 2 deep drawers and see how it goes, when the 35" spare is in the boot the drawers are my boot basically. Thinking of fitting stuff like camping gear etc in. Can internally divide the drawers to keep stuff like tools separate.

Easier to make one drawer into two then two into one kinda of thing.

It's why I've used 300mm tray, the old box was 300mm deep but being hinged it was awkward to use and didn't make full use of the boot (was made for the trooper and utilised the space as a smaller boot)
Tools, spares and such things to the back of the drawers,recovery gear towards the front and space left for gear to be put in.

I have a bag with some recovery gear, grab bag type of thing, couple of straps, shackles, snatch block and the wander lead in, that doesn't go in the box now and anything more involved to get unstuck just means opening a drawer.

Have an idea to secure the spare without a ratchet strap too, use the spare wheel carrier from a trooper rear door, cut it down a bit and bolt to the top of the drawers, lift the spare in and bolt to the carrier,
Easy to remove when running the 33's.

Last edited:
Looking good and familiar :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking good and familiar :)

Might not be as neat as yours lol. Had a good look at the ones you made as well as the other the threads on them.

Can do metal, useless with wood so just taking the dimensions to b&q and getting the ply cut to size, surely can't get it wrong just nailing bits of wood together lol.

Had a little bit of time this evening and I've got a drawer made :icon-biggrin:
Will divide in half inside and might make a corner section for shackles etc to live.
Going to condense the tools a bit too, socket sets are nice in moulded cases but take up more room then needed

20150315_204926.jpg

Other one to make tomorrow after been for some ally sheet and hopefully the bearings will turn up too!

Still waiting for bearings to turn up!! Hopefully tomorrow so I can get everything together.

Popped to get some ally chequer plate for the drawer fronts and picked up a nice piece of 3mm flat ally sheet while I was there

20150316_103939.jpg

Just needed a little trim and some holes drilling
Can't decide whether to leave it bare ally, paint it or get it powder coated.
Need some more rivnuts too so can mount it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Didn't get fully finished as the bearings turned up after lunch time!
Handles are on but forgot to take a pic.
Need to sort the mount for the spare wheel then fully bolt the top down, add some edge trims and cut the boot liner to fit. I'm going to carpet the top but use the boot liner when the spare is in there.
Not too bad so far, will get some better pics when got it all together.

Same height as the old storage box but more space.
Got an idea to mount stuff like breaker bar, pry bars etc using tool clips and mount above the drawer runner, it's not a lot of space but no point wasting it.

20150317_103818-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nearly got finished with the drawers.. ally edge trims to fit up top, some locking bolts and something to stop them sliding completely out. Managed an hour here and there so progress has been slow.

Divided the drawers to suit my requirements and managed to condense tools and other bits quite a bit. Made a smallish section at the back of the right one for stuff like tubs of grease, oil and spares.
Basically everything I don't want/need to use a lot like tools etc is all at the back, leaves me plenty of free space for camping gear etc.

20150405_162212.jpg

20150405_162324.jpg

20150405_162328.jpg

20150405_162338.jpg

Sorted the alarm out today too, kept refusing to disarm and would randomly go off even if not locked by the remote, would go off with the truck unlocked and running!!

Found a couple of wiring issues and it seems to be happy now.

Looks good mate. :thumbup:

Regarding the alluminium for your tail gate, my vote would be for powdercoating it. :icon-biggrin:

Looks good mate. :thumbup:

Regarding the alluminium for your tail gate, my vote would be for powdercoating it. :icon-biggrin:

Cheers.
Yeah I was leaning towards powder coated, need to get the roof rack done too and a few other bits so will take it all together.

Well the drawers have been tested on the bumpy stuff and with nothing in them get very minimal rattling. Just need to load them up at some point.

The polish is coming out in the morning though as it's looking a sorry state at the moment tbh. Gave it a wash and the paint is dull and flat.
Even lily has commented on it!! What happens when it's wider then most others on scratchy lanes!

Looks like rear screen might be coming out too as a little bit of paint bubbling just under the seal. Looks like the window had been removed when it was tinted so will be sorting it before becomes an issue.
Bloody cars are more hassle then they're worth :angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

Gary can you do a post on that please. I am sure that popping the back glass out is dead easy when you know how. I'd like to know how it's done. I really need to take mine out. I do actually have a brand new seal.

C

Gary can you do a post on that please. I am sure that popping the back glass out is dead easy when you know how. I'd like to know how it's done. I really need to take mine out. I do actually have a brand new seal.

C

Yeah I will do, I'll order a new seal and cut the old seal to remove the glass tbh, no point refitting a 17 year old one and makes it easier.
Might take the tailgate off anyway and re paint it so do a decent job. I've kinda damaged the lower tailgate so while I'm there (slight hint don't leave stuff on the rear bumper and open the lower tailgate!!)
Need to pull a favour with body shop manager to use our facilities one weekend

Still need to pull the auto box too, fit a lambda probe and get some new headers lol.

Last edited:
Well the old girl has some shine again :icon-biggrin: rubbing compound, black colour magic and deepshine wax plus the electric polisher. Most of the scratches have gone and it's smooth again. Been on a few too many scratchy lanes recently which had taken their toll.
Cleaned the interior and conditioned the leather, carpet is clean again and it smells nice in there.

20150419_105636.jpg

20150419_121040.jpg

20150419_121054.jpg

Wow Gary. Like a new one. Wish mine looked that good. I could really do with the green one getting that treatment. It would look stunning.

Time to get the polish out then Chris?
It got washed yesterday and left at work to dry over night, spent all morning with the polish. Kept seeing it on the drive looking a bit sorry, paint had got so dull and after all the work I've put into it just had to sort it. Gets used for what it's designed for I suppose so will never stay perfect.

Beemer was putting it to shame but not now :lol: that'll be going If get my way tbh, get something a bit bigger.

Beautiful job Gary, looking more like your first post again, now! :icon-biggrin:

If I thought mine would come up like that with wax Gary I would happily spend a week doing it . Cheapest option carwash as don't like wax or a pressure washer is all mine gets but a few months back knowing the truck would be left parked in shitehawk City for a week I opted for the triple gold star supersonic wash at the garage . It's looked awful ever since almost like it's had oil poured over it and no amount of cheap carwash or jet washing is going to remove it . Time to christen it with a bucket and sponge I guess :icon-rolleyes:

I don't suppose you have any pointers to get rid of the slime that you would share ?

Try tfr (traffic film remover ) that might shift it. We use it at work to clean cars, it's great at cleaning the underside after an oil leak too if use it neat!
I don't use it on the wife's car as it's got life shine paint protection stuff on it, it wouldn't have it for long lol.

The deep shine wax I use is an auto glym product for darker colours, does what it says on the tin

Last edited:
Cheers I will try that . I did a proper wax on the Mrs old silver Rover long ago and it did come up very well indeed , I just don't like using it because I feel it demands upkeep .

Back