Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

So been out today and got approached by an older gentleman as we were getting back in the 80, he looked a bit red sock ish so emma got the kids in just in case, first thing he said to me....

Is that really an R reg, it's so clean and tidy!! Ended up having a little chat with him and his wife, has a collection of old landys and was impressed with the 80. Was very much into his 4x4s too. Had to show him some pics on the phone to prove it goes off road as didn't believe me lol.
Emma said makes all the hours I've spent with the polish recently worth it.

:dance::clap: Things like that make it all the more worthwhile!

Just a small update on things, been to a local fabrication company and been measured up for some stainless headers, booked in and will be going to them soon for a couple of days, will complement the rest of the exhaust quite nicely.
We've been using the 80 more then the beemer recently as the big push chair we have doesn't fit in the boot lol. Time for a bigger car I think!

Couple of bits on the 80.
Tried the 35" spare underneath, even with the spare as high as I can get it, just hangs too low still

20150714_200332_resized.jpg

So it continues to live in the boot, I cut down a mount for a rear mounted isuzu spare wheel carrier and bolted that to the top of the drawers

20150714_205127_resized.jpg

Covered over so the wife doesn't get grumpy when the push chair goes against it.
20150714_210025_resized.jpg

The plastic load liner has been cut down to fit on top of the drawers, spare wheel mount bolts through to keep in place and keeps the carpet clean on the drawers.

Still need to get the tailgate deck panel powder coated, need to get the roof rack done and the winch mount so will all go together.

Gary you can lift the spare wheel carrier you know.

That was Chris. I'd lifted the carrier up, The tyre was as high as it'd go at the back end (bar off the chassis too) With some more time and fiddling I could prob get the spare right up against the boot floor but I couldn't be bothered tbh. It was quicker to chuck it in the boot lol
I tried before had the exhaust done and it rested on the silencer, no silencer now so more space so had another look.

I don't necessarily want a rear carrier but I've been looking at rear bumpers (it's had a few knocks) and keep thinking do I just get a wheel carrier too :think: I can live with it in the boot as the push chair still fits and can fit loads in the drawers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Eventually got the front pipes done, kept having to put it back for various reasons.
Original plan was a full header but the extra cost of about £450 for very little gain changed that.

2.25" pipes from the manifold instead of 1.75" doesn't make any more noise which is good but does seem to pull a little better from low revs and mid range.

Had to move the oxygen sensor forwards a bit to in front of the body mount rather then behind it, wasn't enough space with a new flange welded to the cat convertor, sensor would be too close to the mount.

20151018_161358_resized.jpg

20151018_161323_resized.jpg

That looks a nice job Gary, it's all a bit tight in there I would imagine. What comes from the head, is there a 6 to 2 branch before what we can see in the photos?

Just the stock manifold up front, I wanted a full 6-2-1 but the extra cost over actual gain wasn't worth it tbh. Got a nice 2-1 down pipe tho. It'd look nicer etc but it's a landcruiser so I don't open the bonnet v often :lol:

We had to re model the inner wheel arch as needed to make some space, just need to neaten it up a bit now.

That's it on the floor against the old one. The outlet of the manifold got a little run over with die grinder up the ports but that's it.
The biggest restriction was the 1.75" down pipes that started at 2" then they decided to shrink it!!

FB_IMG_1445274857015.jpg

Just the stock manifold up front, I wanted a full 6-2-1 but the extra cost over actual gain wasn't worth it tbh. Got a nice 2-1 down pipe tho. It'd look nicer etc but it's a landcruiser so I don't open the bonnet v often :lol:

We had to re model the inner wheel arch as needed to make some space, just need to neaten it up a bit now.

Was confused on first read, (stock manifold, two to one down-pipe :think:) then reminded myself you're running on zippo fuel :lol:

Been out for a long run, pulls noticeably better at motorway speeds and it's actually quieter. Used to drone a bit if got above 75-80 mph. If nail it through a tunnel it's not as loud either, has a different note to before and is a much nicer sound. Even the wife commented it sounds different

So I've been avoiding having a spare wheel on the back of the 80, I like how they look without it there but things change, the 35" spare gets in the way a bit in the boot.

I thought about making a swing out to work with the stock bumper and thought about a steel bumper.

Well kaymar do a swing out that works with the stock bumper. Result but bloody expensive!!

Managed to source a used one in good condition but in Australia. So a bit of logistics and it got sent out Tuesday this week, today is Friday and waiting for when I got home was a box......

20151127_164530_resized.jpg

Inside the box is my left side fitment kaymar swing out carrier :icon-biggrin:
20151127_165819_resized.jpg

A very big thank you goes out to one of our OZ members who has helped me out in getting it over here. Hope he enjoys all the beers I've bought him :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Glad it arrived safely and quickly mate! [emoji106]

Thanks for the beers! [emoji482]

Looking forward to seeing it fitted. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it arrived safely and quickly mate! [emoji106]

Thanks for the beers! [emoji482]

Looking forward to seeing it fitted. [emoji41]

Thanks again mate. Can't believe how quickly it got here tbh! Can't wait to get it fitted.

Your welcome. Always happy to help. [emoji106]

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to arrive that quickly! [emoji3]

What a result!

Love this forum, thanks to guys like Ben.

There are plenty more on here that have helped me, much appreciated to all, you know who you are.

:text-thankyouyello:

Not updated much recently but not much new. Kaymar needs bolting on when weather improves, going to source a right side battery tray etc and wire in a split charge/leisure battery. Have some extra goodies to wire in too while in there.

Apart from all of that it's rolled to another good milage

20160319_162442.jpg

It's not been used much since that start of the year, use the beemer more as was easier with the young uns baby seats but now he's forward facing we have a seat in there all the time.

Have some camping trips planned too so 80 gets used for those.

Got the washer bottle re housed today, moved from behind the right headlamp to make way for a 2nd battery.
Made a couple of brackets, extended the wiring and washer pipe for headlamp washers.

There's a new fuse box in the boot now and a nice big power cable running front to back. Will get some pics of it all when everything is put back in

Attachments

• 20160501_143237.jpg
    20160501_143237.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20160501_143229.jpg
    20160501_143229.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 96
Back