Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 'bargain' 24v

Give me a shout when your ready. Ill have a look for a switch as well.:icon-wink:

The VC is imo a nice feature of these trucks and makes quite a difference, I bet Karl can sort you out :icon-wink:

Give me a shout when your ready. Ill have a look for a switch as well.:icon-wink:
Ah,just the man! There's a few bits Im gonna need,nothing too tearing though. Mostly trim and some lights.
Figure I may as well come to you with a more definitive list than you having to run to and fro the post office every other day!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds good.Give me as much notice as poss though cheers.

The rear quarter doesnt look bad now.Far better than it was.:icon-biggrin:

Bit of an update in order I figured.Inspired by Caron's thread!?
Im still in love,wavered a bit with the wiring fault I had though:wtf:
So,I'm about 2k miles into ownership,clutch is still holding on in there,although the end is near! I have added a few bits and bobs,some for practability,others as I'm just being a tart! I'll let you decide for youselves
Have added 285 BFG's,30mm wheel spacers and a height adj. tow hitch,HID dipped beam upgrade,made a start on tinting the rear windows,painted the wheels black,put one of those plastic bonnet guard things on and a 3" stainless tailpipe!:icon-cool:
I have also had a little play with inj pump setting,but daren't go any further until Ive changed the clutch.
Bit slack on pics Im afraid,but I did take a few before I left work earlier. Yes I know I could of washed it first but it was cold and I couldn't be assed!:snooty:

WP_20130323_021.jpgWP_20130323_022.jpgWP_20130323_023.jpgWP_20130323_024.jpgWP_20130323_025.jpg

Thanks Karl! Will still be in need of some bits,prioritising funds at the min though! Did you manage to find a CDL switch? Im a little reluctant to use low range for shunting trailers about as the o/s CV is clicking pretty bad,but on the other hand the clutch isnt really up to it in high,bit of a catch 22?

If I had family/people to move around, or was planning a big trip/expedition then I'd have bought the vehicle voted the best ever 4x4, The mighty 80 series! :icon-biggrin:

But being on my own, and wanting a truck just as a toy to drive up and over the gnarliest terrain I can find then I think the 70 is perfect! At the moment an 80 would be too big for my needs. :icon-twisted:

But maybe one day! :icon-cool:

:eusa-shhh:You'd love an 80 Ben!:eusa-shhh:

Captain, congrats on the 80 youll love it too!

Now, what are you going to do with it (to it) what is the long term strategy here?

Offroad, caravan, horesebox, personnel carrier, we need to know....

Suspension lift?
Body lift?
Winch?
Bumpers?
Sliders?
Racks?
Wheels?
Tyres?

We're all ready to pounce!

I took my VC out in case it seized but later came to the conclusion that as I don't abuse the tranny it will last forever. So the reason for putting it back in? I found that the ABS did not work very well with it out. I don't particularly want ABS but if I am stuck with it I should have it working properly.

Frank

Thanks Dave,I assume there's not such a thing as a non airbag wheel,with cruise?

Probably a correct statement for UK spec.

Mine's a LHD 1995 don't know which market it was made for, but no airbags on mine, never have been. However the steering wheel is the same shape!

:eusa-shhh:You'd love an 80 Ben!:eusa-shhh:

Captain, congrats on the 80 youll love it too!

Now, what are you going to do with it (to it) what is the long term strategy here?

Offroad, caravan, horesebox, personnel carrier, we need to know....

Suspension lift?
Body lift?
Winch?
Bumpers?
Sliders?
Racks?
Wheels?
Tyres?

We're all ready to pounce!

Long term strategy,well hard to say really. Think it will be with me for the duration though!
For many years Ive been using heavily modded Discoveries as daily hack/work service van/tow barge/challenge truck/laner,obviously this would take its toll on any truck,let alone poor old disco's! I have since had an epithany,if you like,and built myself a trayback'd Disco for the harder off road work. This left an opening for another vehicle to fulfil the rest of my needs,yes I could of gone and got another Disco,(well in fact I did,but thats another story!) Trouble is,the V8 aside(Im a mechanical diesel man) LR just dont make anything big/grunty enough for what I want,within the age I want,for the money I had. Ive always put bigger,non LR engines in my Disco's.I also have 2 kids and a large dog,always carry tools and a fair amount of other random crap around with me and spend a fair amount of time dragging a trailer around with vehicles/scrap on it (I buy/sell/break Disco's/RRC's)aswell as a towing a fair sized caravan and occasionally the other half's horses(under protest!) Other thing worth mentioning is that my Mrs runs a V8 Disco 2 (I really dislike the td5 engine) and its really just not right for her to have a bigger engine than me!!?:eusa-naughty:
An 80 seemed the logical thing to go out and buy?
I was,as you will have noticed short of a vehicle for greenlaning,hence I wasnt looking for the immac,low mileaged,unabused 80 that most are looking for as I know it's gonna end up none of those things!
My 80 has cleaned up really well and is much better body/mechanical wise than I was expecting when I bought it and I suppose you could say Im still in the 'honeymoon period' so have now really done any laning with it yet for fear of scratching it! Ive gone with AT tyres at the min to stop myself getting too wild with it off road:think:
It is however,inevitable that this will happen so yes,a bumper,at least one winch,sliders,snorkel etc. are definately on the cards but there is a list of other stuff I need to spend time/money on for the min.
I will be building whatever I can myself,Im pretty handy with a grinder and welder and we do have a shed at work with 2 lathes,mills etc. in at my disposal although my machine skills are not great,Im still learning!
My VC was seized right up,Ive not noticed any adverse effects of removing it so far, for the time being it will stay as it is although if I come across a good unit for good money I will refit as I can see it being useful under the right conditions. Im also not a fan of ABS

After posting pics last night I realised how dirty she is (the LC) and went nuts today and washed it!

WP_20130323_029.jpg
WP_20130323_026.jpgWP_20130323_027.jpgWP_20130323_028.jpg

Last edited:
See how good they look in blue? That's why I am being fussy. I want a blue one!

One day ... Soonish would be nice.

C

Mine's blue, well most of it! Probably the only thing you'd like about it Chris! Mint is not a description that fits, unless it's humbug! It's a rough and ready and does just fine on the mountain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand where you're coming from Chris. Thought you might appreciate some pics
Must admit,I was semi hoping for a silver one, but the blue is cool! The glass goes well as do the wheels. Don't usually like dark wheels on dark cars but it looks ok,tbh it wasn't a very good job,did all 5 in less than an hour but they look 100% better than the laquer peeling/brake dust stained silverish that they were!

Silver, really? Well maybe I could get the silver one and we'll do a swap.

I have black wheels ready and waiting to go on. 35" All Terrains. Should look smart.

Chris

Silver, really? Well maybe I could get the silver one and we'll do a swap.

I have black wheels ready and waiting to go on. 35" All Terrains. Should look smart.

Chris

Haha,If you came to me a few weeks ago,Id be all over that but now you'd have to pry the keys from my cold dead fingers! Better the devil you know and all that?
Interestingly I've got a 'spare' set of 35" Simex et's that I wouldn't mind mounting up on another set of rims,will they go on as the truck is?

with spacers they (Simex) will catch the flares under compression.

Back